Scavenger Hunt #3 - Nov 26 - Dec 4

Joan T

Scavenger Hunt #3 – Nov 26 – Dec 4

Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts from Life. The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.

If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:
https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/

Here are the rules for the Hunt:
*All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the list, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
*Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
*Have fun!
*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required.

Scavenger Hunt #3 – Nov 26 – Dec 4

Something round

Something rectangular

Something with a lot of texture

Something smooth

Something that cuts

Comes in a bottle

Comes in a box

Comes in a bag

Found in your kitchen

Found in a drawer

Landscape

Water

Rock or boulder

A tree

A flower

Salty

Sweet

Creamy

A fruit

A vegetable

Something you carry with you

Something heavy

Something very useful

Something you rarely use

A chair or bench

Soft

Challenge: Do a continuous line sketch of one or more of the objects.

Use your non-dominant hand to sketch one or more of the objects.

Make a still-life using 3 or more objects from the hunt.

Agreed, lovely list. lots of interesting options.

The attractive thing of going about it this way I think, is the freedom it gives you in choice of subjects, unlike f.i. something like an inktober prompt list, I get very quickly demotivated trying to force inspiration for one particular prompt.

I joined CS this week and have been looking around the site for a few days. This thread really appeals to me as I am trying to get back to being creative on a more regular basis and would like to be more confident working from life. I like the fact that there is a structure and some prompts but enough flexibility to not be over prescriptive, OK, enough procrastination, I'm off to find a sketchbook - and work out how to upload images.

Vivien, glad to see you this morning.

EJH, I feel the same way. I like having options.

Sue, welcome! We also allow substitutions for items so that makes it a little easier too.

Thanks for the new list, Joan.

E.J.H. - Glad you like the format of the hunts. I haven't tried Inktober, but I've looked at the prompts, and I'd find them a real struggle. I admire everyone who manages to get through those.

Sue - Welcome to CS! I found one of these threads a while ago with the same motivations as you, and they've been a great help. Looking forward to seeing your sketches.

#1 - Soft. Dogs on a blanket. Managed to grab some sketches of my two dogs together this morning (rare - they don't like each other that much). Two of the sketches - Nitram/A3 Kraft paper, ArfGraf/A3 sketchbook - and a start at working one up into an A1 drawing with XL blocks.
softdogs.jpg

softdogs1.jpg

softdogs2.jpg

E.J.H. - Glad you like the format of the hunts. I haven't tried Inktober, but I've looked at the prompts, and I'd find them a real struggle. I admire everyone who manages to get through those.

Sue - Welcome to CS! I found one of these threads a while ago with the same motivations as you, and they've been a great help. Looking forward to seeing your sketches.

#1 - Soft. Dogs on a blanket. Managed to grab some sketches of my two dogs together this morning (rare - they don't like each other that much). Two of the sketches - Nitram/A3 Kraft paper, ArfGraf/A3 sketchbook - and a start at working one up into an A1 drawing with XL blocks.
View attachment 13920
View attachment 13921
View attachment 13922
Love the face of the dog on the right!

Joan, thanks for the list.
Triss, the dog sketches are free and fun. Love the last one. I'm grinning ear to ear.
JessieN, welcome. Substitutions and associations are permitted. The Hunts have made/encouraged me to sketch things I never would have. I have not changed style which I thought I might, but I am quicker and better when I concentrate and plan. The Hunts are my homework and keeping my fingers connected to my brain.

View attachment 13920
View attachment 13921
View attachment 13922
Love your sketches of yur dogs. Well done as mine wakes up and moves the minute I begin looking at her to sketch her! My Newfoundland was worse, she hated me sketching her and would sit up and turn her back!

Joan, thanks for the list.
Triss, the dog sketches are free and fun. Love the last one. I'm grinning ear to ear.
JessieN, welcome. Substitutions and associations are permitted. The Hunts have made/encouraged me to sketch things I never would have. I have not changed style which I thought I might, but I am quicker and better when I concentrate and plan. The Hunts are my homework and keeping my fingers connected to my brain.
Mine too!

299FB75D-6DBF-4C3B-B025-176A50193275.png

Sketch #1 Creamy-morning coffee sketches app iPhone

Triss- fantastic sketches of your pups. 2 of mine don’t get along as well and i would never be able to sketch them together, nice catch!

Great list, Joan! I'll try to get in here more often for this Hunt. :)

Triss, your dog sketches are terrific, and led to a beautiful finished work!

Mary, I love your creamy coffee. This looks like how I take my coffee! Great job.

Off to a great start! 👏

Triss, I'm always jealous that you have your doggies to sketch. Love all three, but that last one is really great! They look very comfortable together for dogs that don't like each other. lol

Jessie, welcome! It is always great to see new people joining us.

Mary, that cup of coffee is calling me. Nice and creamy!

Terri, Vivien, and Jo, I hope to see your sketches soon. Like Jo said, the hunts sometimes make us sketch things we never would attempt. I've been doing this for years and there are few things I haven't tried. lol

1 - something rarely used - pencil (I usually use the other kind of corkscrew with the arms that go up and then you push them down. This one is like the waiters use and I haven't mastered it. lol)
2 - something very useful (binder clip...I guess the hand is very useful too.) - pencil
IMG_9084.jpeg

Mary - lovely cup of coffee!
Joan - lovely sketches and your hand sketch looks good.
I hope to get on to the Hunt Sketches today or tomorrow - not having a very good day today! Whoever said getting your Covid Vaccination Pass on to your phone would be easy! Iv got the pass on. but now managed to lock my phone! :(:LOL:

Triss, great dogs!
Mary, the coffe looks good (though I take it black, no sugar personally)
Joan fine corck screw, have you tried it? it's no more difficult to use than the other type you describe. Binderclips are handy indeed, picked up a package on a whim in IKEA, and use them way more than expected!

Terri, Vivien, and Jo, I hope to see your sketches soon. Like Jo said, the hunts sometimes make us sketch things we never would attempt. I've been doing this for years and there are few things I haven't tried. lol
Thanks, Joan! I'm trying to participate in every one. I agree that the hunts can make us sketch items we never would attempt - or in my case, even think about! I can always use the practice.

You did a great job with that wine opener! I use the kind you mentioned, too - these are only good for wine emergencies. 😆

Your hand sketch with the clip is very good, too. Great work!

Whoever said getting your Covid Vaccination Pass on to your phone would be easy! Iv got the pass on. but now managed to lock my phone! :(:LOL:
Oh no! :( Good for you to get the Covid pass onto your phone - but now you have to deal with this. Hope you get in there soon.

#1 Something round (ish) - real spoon in disposable paper bowl. Graphite and accoutrements (erasers, blending stumps, etc). About 30 minutes. In my cheap 9x12 inch sketchbook, but I guess I only used about 9x9.
IMG_0001 (Large).jpg

Back