Scavenger Hunt #3 - Nov 26 - Dec 4

joe1lt, ah, you have joined the digital age. Good job. I do it so rarely that I forget and have to learn again and it does take longer.

Hey, Robin. I've missed your curly hatching. Fun to see your sketches. I like the colors in soft, sort of red and turquoise, reminds me of southwest.

Joan, mmmm, blueberry pie. We had a taste of cherry and blueberry together at Thanksgiving. Good, too. Nice watercolor.

Angela, I like your book, such good shading and perspective. Take care of your family. Hope to see you soon.

Mary, the red bench is fun. You know I love red.

Triss, yikes! Life gets in our way sometimes. Happy your house is back. I like the purpley dog and blanket!

I sketched in the big book while Gene framed pastels for me. I used the Zig Millenneum pens.

Number 6 smooth and Number 7 textured
csshfl3smooth-texture.jpg

Ai, thanks!

Anne, even though the circle info isn't new it is always helpful to see it again, and you explained it so well.

Angela, I'm sorry to hear about your dad and his wife being sick. I hope their recovery is quick. Love the sketch of the book...looks well read!

Mary, what a great color for a seat!! It seems to be saying "sit on me."

Triss, glad you have power and phone back. Storms can really make a mess of things for us. Dog 2 looks like he's content no matter what is going on.

Jo, I was good and only had a tiny piece of Jerry's blueberry pie. I hope he appreciated that. lol Glad to hear that Gene is helping with the framing. I'm still working on mine...almost finished with the matting. Nice colorful cup sitting on a textured coaster!

thank you all for the beautiful and encouraging words,
ams, it was useful and clear what explained, thank you very much,

Robin, beautiful works, I remember on WC, which had happened to some, some upside-down photos, it seems to me that Arnoud looked for a reason and solution, but I don't remember, I have to try drawings from various perspectives. To delete, updating the page, it remains, but you can call, as you erase words.

I for photos, sometimes I use geniuscan free app, it makes me rotate, and crop.

Joan, beautiful painting, nice.
Angela, beautiful drawing, I hope that your father and his wife will recover soon, best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Maryknos, beautiful drawing.
Triss, very nice effects

Jo, beautiful colorful drawing

I missed a whole page!

Ams- your landscape, spoon (with the optical illusion!) and hand weights sketches are wonderfully done

Joan-
I want to be in all of the scenes you sketched! Great work. The box is fantastic as well

Joe- enjoyed the different perspective/media of your bottle sketches and some great tips Ams, going to try them.

Robin-I’m sorry your posting sideways, I’m so new to the group I can’t give you any guidance, I’m sorry but your sketches are great! They almost have a needlepoint quality.

Triss- we missed you but your late entry is amazing! You captured the perfect face of a snuggly dog.

Angela (amo), I like how you captured the age of your book. Sorry your father and his wife were ill. Glad they are doing better.

Mary (MaryKnos), very nice bright red bench. I like how you did the shiny chrome legs.

Triss, nice work on the dog. He looks as if he is checking you out. Glad things are getting better after the storm.

Jo (Jo Castillo), nice mug and colorful coaster. The coaster looks handmade.

I did these while parked in the car. I started with a quick pencil sketch, then went over it with Pigma Micron 02. After that, I added shading with a Derwent water-soluble graphite sketching pencil. It took about 30 minutes for the two of them. I took a picture with my cell phone so the paper looks gray but it's really white in my Stillman & Birn alpha.

Scavenger Hunt 3-9 Something with a lot of texture
Scavenger Hunt 3-10 Something round

SH3-9 Texture.jpg
SH3-10 Round.jpg

Sorry for missing a load of this thread - my house took a bit of a battering in a storm here, and getting the phone lines & power back has taken a while. Loving everyone's sketches!

#1b - Soft. Dog2 on a blanket. Graphite, Artgraf, acrylic ink.

View attachment 14220
I love this! The lines, the color scheme. It's very interesting to look at.

Thanks for all the encouragement.

Jo- that’s a healthy cup! I like the use of lines...good idea I will try

Ams - delicious wood details and delicate wheel is charming

My thanks to everyone for your comments.

Anne, wonderful job on the grain of the wood on the fence! Your wheel looks like it is ready for the wagon. Great job!

Reactions: ams
Jo (Jo Castillo), nice mug and colorful coaster. The coaster looks handmade.
Thanks, Anne. It is plastic canvas they call with yarn woven through it. Gene's mom used to do it. I got this on Etsy in memory of her. They are such good coasters. You can wash them and they absorb the damp from iced drinks, etc. Best I've ever found.
I like your fence and the wagon wheel. Excellent!

Thanks, Robin.

Dad and M. are still sick, more appointments tomorrow. They got married in 2016, when I was 45, so "parents" feels so weird to me. She's great, but . . . . Anyway, I'm getting used to it, since we're all going to the same church now. "Parents" will do.

Thanks for the nice comments on the book sketch. I am trying to make visual art a bigger part of my life, experimenting with some schedule changes and shifting priorities. Not sure how much of it will be Scavenger Hunts in the long run, though they are great for warm-up and skill building.

Mary, I like the texture and color on the bench cushion. And the shininess of the metal.

Triss, another dog! Great! Glad you weathered the storm.

Jo, like your smooth and textured. And your Churchill quote, which I may have seen in your signature for a long time possibly, but I just noticed it yesterday.

Anne, very good round wheel. I never get good circles or ellipses without great effort. Nice woodgrain.

Here's my #3 textured and #4 smooth. I haven't been getting the photo quality I like lately, but I'm not sure what changed. I'm not used to working in graphite, so maybe it's just the shininess that's throwing me off. Same phone, same procedure. I don't think anything else has changed. I ended up throwing my first sketch of this hunt on my scanner, but that's too much trouble . . . .
20211201_133914 (Large).jpg

Crikey, I miss a day and am pages behind! Thanks to all for comments on my efforts I didn't get anything done yesterday, got sidetracked by a ridiculously hard jigsaw and by the time I stopped my eyes had given up for the day - Note to self, must sketch first, jigsaw later 😃

Ai - great speed sketching, especially lie the Buddah
Eyepaint - good selection and arrangement and the nubbly scrubber looks
Anne - lovely wee landscape in pen and good refraction on spoon. I like the 'soft' heaviness of your weights, Plus the fence and wheel later, lovely work again
Joan - what super loose work, I really like the style of these.
Joe - good rendition of the bottle, I've only tried digital work a couple of times but just not got on with it at all
Robin - you've been busy, great sketches even seen sideways
Joan - Love the depth you got in this, the pie looks yummy
Amo - that looks a well loved book, really like how you've captured the bent corners. Nice work on the textured/smooth combo
Mary - Great stool, it has a real shine to it
Triss - Another lovely one of your dog, what an adorable face
Jo - Lovely bright colours, that mug must put a smile on your face, I like how you have rendered it using line.

Jo - Wonderful colours and textures on your mug and coaster sketch - love how you've drawn the coaster surface.

ams - Lovely work on both sketches - great shading from the Derwent pencil, I've never had much luck with those, but you're getting beautiful tone from yours.

Angela - Glad you're trying to find some more space for art in your life - good luck juggling everything around to fit! Great sketch for smooth/texture. Love the delicacy of your drawing, and the little details on the sandpaper block are wonderful.

#2 - Found in the kitchen. Espresso mugs. Acrylic inks & random papers, A2.

kitchen.jpg

Jo - Wonderful colours and textures on your mug and coaster sketch - love how you've drawn the coaster surface.

ams - Lovely work on both sketches - great shading from the Derwent pencil, I've never had much luck with those, but you're getting beautiful tone from yours.

Angela - Glad you're trying to find some more space for art in your life - good luck juggling everything around to fit! Great sketch for smooth/texture. Love the delicacy of your drawing, and the little details on the sandpaper block are wonderful.

#2 - Found in the kitchen. Espresso mugs. Acrylic inks & random papers, A2.

View attachment 14269
Maybe it's the heart on the mug, but something about this is just so charming. Love the brushstrokes in the blue mug too. I never have the guts to leave bold strokes like that but this makes me want to try it!

Triss - good solid looking mugs, I echo Jessie's comments - I shy away from bold brush strokes too and wish I didn't

Here's a wee grouping from this morning - about 30-40 minutes, pen and watercolour pencils in 8 x 6 in sketchbook
7, Rectangle - a box of crackers
8. Sweet - jar of Chestnut Honey
9. Salty - Marmite
10. Creamy - bottle of Caramel Drizzle - so good on ice cream😋
11, In a bag - half used bag of white sugar
12, From a drawer - wooden honey drizzler
13. From the kitchen - Wooden chopping board

SH 7=13.jpg

amo, lovely shading. I think I have the same sharpener. I like it a lot.

Triss, love the mugs, you know it. Great bold strokes.

Sue, what a fun collection of "finds" . There's that Marmite again. I've got to look for that. I like your composition and colors.

Hope to do one more for here..... Gotta get with it.

Angela, good choices for texture and smooth.

Triss, thanks for your comments. I find with the derwent sketching, I only put some shading down in the darkest area and then pull it out with a water brush to shade the lighter areas. Nice work on the mugs.

Sue, nice collection and good job on them.

MaryKnos, Sue, thank you very much.

Ams, wonderful job with both of you.
Angela, wonderful drawings
Triss, great job
Sue, very beautiful composition and drawings.

vegetable, ginger.

2021-12-02 02-51_pagina_5.jpg

tried, Do a continuous line sketch of one or more of the objects.
, at least a couple of times, I started again,
Use your non-dominant hand to sketch one or more of the objects.
i remade minion,
the larger one with another hand.
2021-12-02 22-54_pagina_1.jpg

Back