Scavenger Hunt #3 - Nov 26 - Dec 4

Oh, LOTS OF INSPIRATION!!! Nice

joe, I like how you keep drawing something you like!!
Ai, oh it is SO good to see you again.....love your landscapes, an much thanks for the photos
sue fun sketches,
Eyepaint...looking forward to seeing your straight forward stuff. :)

Thanks, Joan.

joe1lt, awwww, I like the little minions. Great hatching. They have a twinkle in their eyes.

Ai, what a wonderful day out sketching. The ruins are amazing and your night sketch just glows. History in the making. Thanks for the photos, too.

I did a very rapid sketch in the dining room in the big book with the Lamy pen.
#4round - fan and #5 square - the top of the stool is basically square

cs-shflround-square.jpg

Robin, Jo, Ai, thank you very much
Ai, scenes, wonderful works, and wonderful place, are all very beautiful, at night the lights are also shown and the daytime one is spectacular and full of details and places, works that recall the beauty of drawing and painting, also remembering their importance, the importance for their possibility of capturing, remembering places, affection for them, as in these cases testify to an important historical moment before the mutation or closure of a place.
Jo, even though it's a quick drawing you have captured both objects, nice job.
I really like the ink because we can see it is perfect for any type of job that takes days or minutes, the only flaw is that it is difficult to use but you are very good

Joe, love your minion.

Ai, love your paintings of the both of the stations. It sounds as if you had a very nice day.

Jo, nice sketches of the fan and stool.

These are a few pencil sketches in Stillman & Birn Alpha 4"x6" sketchbook. It's really a little smaller than I like. The next sketchbook I get will have a larger format.

The graphite looks kind of grainy but it's fun to use. 15 to 20 minutes for each one.

SH3-1.jpg
SH3-2.jpg
SH3-3,4.jpg

Joe 1, nice minion sketches. You do them so well.

Ai, beautiful work! I love the sketch of the ancient city and I'm so glad you did a panoramic view to capture it all! I'm impressed with your nocturnal sketch of that rounded roof view. It is hard to do color mixing in the dark, but it looks like you worked it out. Well done! That was quite a day of sketching for you!

Anne, you snuck in your pencil sketches while I was commenting. These are really nice. I love the soft shading, especially on the spool of thread which you made looks so realitic. Nicely done!!

Joan, Joe1, Jo, Robin, Anne: Thanks for your kind comments.

Joan: You were right, the night time sketch was truly challenging in color mixing. I had no idea, I just guess how my colors turned out as I put in my leading dark "Payne Grey" with other colors. I just guess the outcome colors from the slot of colors on my palette (by their location on my palette but it is absolutely mind boggling to know what exactly the mixing results I have. Luckily, it came out OK as nighttime dark. If I do a nocturne sketch again... I will find a small light weight lamp/flash light of some kind to take with me.

Anne: Lovely soft graphite sets. Yes, I love your spool too.

Joe1: Super cute on the Minions... love the sparkles in the eyes.

Jo: Nice lovely round fan sketch. I am smiling at your BBQ sauce bottle. I can tell that it is a great sauce by the happy label.

Sue: Welcome to our Hunt 😇. Fantastic set. Love the round and the super cute cat sketch.

Mary: Love the fruit Cirque De So Leil... sketch... happy fun vibrant splash.

Last edited:
Joe-love your minions! A lot of character in those sketches.

Ai- what a wonderful train trip and great subjects to sketch. Wonderful work

Aunt Jo- clever use of shapes! nice sketches

Ams- wow! Love your clean lines and shading. Very nice I agree with Joan, the spool shading is really good

Thanks for the encouraging comments,

Jo, Some lovely pen sketching on your box/bottle/scissors set - I find pen very difficult for any tonal work. Then again on stool and fan, lucky you if you have temperatures that need a fan, it's freezing here.

Mary, love your fruit snowman, very quirky!

Ai, Wow - I'm in awe of you skills on these two sketches - and what a wonderful way to create a memory of something. The night one is incredible given that you said you couldn't see the colours you were mixing.

Anne, such soft sketches, really like the feel of these, the thread has a real sheen to it.

Here's my next, I'd intended to spend more time and do another piece yesterday but ended up outside in the wind shoring up our fence!

4, Vegetables - Sweet Peppers on Canson Mi Teinte using Coloured Pencil, about 8 x 6 in

SH 4.jpg

Thanks for the encouraging comments,

Jo, Some lovely pen sketching on your box/bottle/scissors set - I find pen very difficult for any tonal work. Then again on stool and fan, lucky you if you have temperatures that need a fan, it's freezing here.

Mary, love your fruit snowman, very quirky!

Ai, Wow - I'm in awe of you skills on these two sketches - and what a wonderful way to create a memory of something. The night one is incredible given that you said you couldn't see the colours you were mixing.

Anne, such soft sketches, really like the feel of these, the thread has a real sheen to it.

Here's my next, I'd intended to spend more time and do another piece yesterday but ended up outside in the wind shoring up our fence!

4, Vegetables - Sweet Peppers on Canson Mi Teinte using Coloured Pencil, about 8 x 6 in

View attachment 14081
sugguest shadow be paint with purple or dark magenta or even blue. and reflact the bottom of the objects at least, as they observing that shadow. it will improve the this sketch.

Nice peppers Sue. I like how you captured the shine on the peppers. They look yummy.

A couple more from this morning, In small sketchbook, about 5 x 5 in using pen and watercolour coloured pencils The colour is deeper in real life = poor photo, sorry

5, In a bottle - Chambord Raspberry Liqueur
6, Smooth - Glasses for liquid sweeties ;)

SH 5 6.jpg

ams, Joan, MaryKnos, thank you very much.
Ams, beautiful graphite drawings.
Sue, both good jobs.

2 Something that cuts
2021-11-29 02-38_pagina_1.jpg

Thanks Anne, Joe and Lazarus - and thanks for the pointers re shadows, I could see they were not right but couldn't work out what was missing

Joe, good sketch of the knife, think I've got one like that somewhere. Sorry, I missed your Minion earlier - it looks very soft and squishy but still round.

I did these super quick, as we only have 30 minutes to tour SamPhraYa Museum, as a part of our Ayutthaya train sketch trip yesterday.

#3 rarely use -- ancient money ... round tin use in Ayutthaya era, four hundred years ago.
#4 texture -- ancient Thai caving wooden gate ...sorry I did not record much texture as I only have a few minutes to jot them down
#5 rock/boulder -- substitute. with buddha statue carved from sand stone... 400 years ago, Ayutthaya era ... I did not do proportion well... so no space for the head part of the buddha statue :cry:.

h3_round_money.jpg

h3_wood_b.jpg

h3_Heavy-Buddha_a.jpg

h3_Heavy-Buddha_b.jpg

Joe1: Thanks. Wonderful sharp cutter.

Sue: Thanks. Love the bottle, esp. the delicate bottle at the top. Nice cute smooth glass. Amazing vivid peppers.

Joan: Thank you for your kind words.

Ai, Mary, Sue, Joe1, thanks for your comments.

Sue, nice bottle and glasses. I have another comment on your shadows in the peppers drawing. I wasn't sure if you were interested in advice since you don't have a "C&C welcome" in your signature but it appears you appreciated Joe's suggestions. My observation about your shadows is that you don't have a clear light source. The shadows imply there is a strong light source from the right but there is a bright reflection on the left that doesn't seem to belong there. If you have light coming from both directions then the deep shadows wouldn't be there.

Joe, good drawing of the cutter.

Ai, amazing quick sketches. They sure didn't give you much time but the sketching trip sounds like it was fun.

Thanks for that very helpful feedback Anne - it's so obvious when you point it out but I just didn't see it. Will have to try and keep that in mind. I'm always up for C&C, just haven't got my signature sorted yet - must get onto it.

Reactions: ams
Ink and coloured marker, 5x8" toned paper.

1. Something round - old kitchen timer
2. Something rectangular - blade sharpening stone
3. Something with a lot of texture - red nubby kitchen scrubby that I chickened out drawing :(
4. Something smooth - flipper
5. Something that cuts - Pizza cutter

hunt003.jpg

Cheers,

Back