Sept. Abstract Challenge (1)

I'm just experimenting and playing again. This is painted over a previous painting and the hard edges of the arched shapes wouldn't go away even with a light sanding so I kept them. When I covered over the old piece with a new layer of acrylic paint it made a big gloppy mess so I reached into the trash can and pulled out a piece of tissue paper from another project. The crinkled paper gave an interesting texture to the wet paint. I haven't ever done much with glazing fluid so I tried multiple glazes to add a little depth. It's simple and probably boring but I kind of like the aged effect I got. 7x7 acrylic on watercolor paper. Curves and Texture

IMG_3351pscs2.jpg

I'm just experimenting and playing again. This is painted over a previous painting and the hard edges of the arched shapes wouldn't go away even with a light sanding so I kept them. When I covered over the old piece with a new layer of acrylic paint it made a big gloppy mess so I reached into the trash can and pulled out a piece of tissue paper from another project. The crinkled paper gave an interesting texture to the wet paint. I haven't ever done much with glazing fluid so I tried multiple glazes to add a little depth. It's simple and probably boring but I kind of like the aged effect I got. 7x7 acrylic on watercolor paper. Curves and Texture

View attachment 43363
Donna, i really like this piece. I like the soft, aged, textured look. Any artifacts from the prior painting only adds to the texture of the piece. I find it calming. I like that you used old tissue paper to add texture and interest to the painting. Resourceful. Really enjoying your work. 😍

In my mind, I was reviewing the few non representational abstracts I like and found I am fond of mostly black and white. I made a black of many colors and allowed the mixing on the paper as part of the stroke. Curiosity was the instigator. It could fit a few categories but I think color is the most appropriate. Black and white are not colors so I find it interesting to see how little touch’s of color are affected or infect themselves into the blacks.

That is a wonderful description. I am happy to see you (and others) allowing yourself to just “go” with your curiosity in this challenge. This is the place to explore. I like the use of the black and white and the little hints of colour. 👍🏻

Wayne, maybe the little blue ball moves around in the dark space of my piece when nobody’s looking. Your guess is as good as mine. I like the bold energy of your painting. I find black to be so powerful in paintings and the little bits of color are like spices.

Christine, thanks for your thoughts - especially that you find it calming. I do too but I suspect I’m just not wired for making high energy pieces. I hope you are feeling better and healing after that awful fall you took.

Thank you. I am finding it tough right now. But love seeing what my gang are doing. I like that your piece has a very solid, ordered feel. From here it looks like I’m looking down from above and I see big track fields. And maybe the round blue is where they spin for the hammer throw. But I have to say the real winning aspect of this piece is the texture that you were trying to contend with. It’s wonderful! It a very strong presence without being overbearing. It shows you don’t have to be frenetic at all to have weight and impact.

View attachment 43363
Excellent work of much interest, Donna. Really well done. It's such a well-balanced composition, and the textures are exciting. I LOVE these three main colors together, as Wayne has been using them in his landscape work lately, and they've been making me enthusiastic. :) Your technique here is spectacular! ♥️

I wish I had the time right now to work only on abstracts for this thread. :( I've just been busy with stuff for my upcoming show, so I still haven't been able to carve out any time to paint. I only had less than an hour to put some red on this the other day. I'll do my best to do a little more today, but I have a lot going on lately, unfortunately.

abstract-3.jpg

Thank you Ayin and in your piece, the red is killer .. I'd be inclined to leave the rest as background and find a related color for it.

I wish I had the time right now to work only on abstracts for this thread. :( I've just been busy with stuff for my upcoming show, so I still haven't been able to carve out any time to paint. I only had less than an hour to put some red on this the other day. I'll do my best to do a little more today, but I have a lot going on lately, unfortunately.

View attachment 43389
That’s ok. You have lots of time to do it, and lots of inspiration coming your way until you complete your work for us to see.🙂
I like the red touches.

Ayin, I like how you are using red in your piece so far! Different shapes sharing the same color ( I need to remember this because coordinating abstract elements is a challenge for me.) Put your energy into your show for now and we’ll be happy to see how you finish this when you have time to breathe again. Thank you for the very kind words about my little piece. I’m glad you think the colors work - they seemed to fit the natural feel I had in mind.

abstact.jpg

8 x 10 inches .. done on the premise of black and white with minimal color and done by knife.

.. this is the last .. I am opting out of this thread as I have no interest in pursuing non representational abstract art. I think my interest will be better served if I pursue minimalism in it's pure sense. I have used minimalism to get to painterly but have not tried to get it to it's absolute. I do think the absolute will be very similar to abstraction using form. Thanks to all the commentators and wishing you the best in your quest.

Thank you for participating and giving us your dynamic offerings! It’s great to see people trying new things, pushing themselves and also discovering more about themselves as artists and about what kind of art they gravitate to.🙂

Minimalism appeals to me too, Wayne, and I’m betting that there will be plenty of overlap with abstraction. As long as you keep painting and trying new things that’s all that matters. I like the bold pops of red in this one.

Back