Sept. Abstract Challenge (1)

Arty and Christine, I appreciate your thoughts very much and thank you for sharing them. Arty, I can’t believe anyone ever told you that your art isn’t real art but I’m glad you got past that. Christine, you summed it all up so well. If it wasn’t a friend the comments would be much easier to brush off and ignore. I need tougher skin, I guess.
Well, if you saw my work at that time, you might agree with her. :ROFLMAO:

Dave! I really love your painting! You did a great job. You're a real fine artist in my eyes. You have the right stuff! This one really works. I hope you do more abstracts in the future. You have an eye for it. ♥️

Here is mine in its 4th stage (sorry I failed to take pictures at its earlier stages). I kinda hate it being shown at this stage because I know I'll be making it look a lot more "neat and tidy" once I get to the oil painting stage, but here it is, and it's a pretty bad photograph. This is what these pieces look like before they get painted. I draw the composition on a sealed wood panel and carefully cut out various shapes between the lines on manila paper. Some of them are used as patterns to cut pieces of fabric. Once it gets painted, I'll be a lot happier with it. Plus, the painting is the fun part.

This is a small 8 x 10-inch panel.

abstract-2.jpg

Here's the original composition:

comp272.jpg

Oh we all have had work in our past that “weren’t our best”! Lol I mean that is what the garbage or bonfire is for… getting rid of the evidence! 😁😆
Arty, you’re off to a good start. Looking forward to how this turns out! Lots of effort in your process. Typically, how long does it take to complete a work of a certain size? And I know that you can spend a lot of time thinking about it as well.

Dave, that’s a very cool painting! Fine art is in the eye of the beholder and the way you use color and texture is very fine!

Ayin, thanks for the progress photo. It’s great to get a peek at your process and see how you build your pieces. The fabric pieces add such interesting patterns and texture. You probably already know this but freezer paper makes great templates for fabric pieces. You iron it on and then cut out your pieces and there’s no stretching or distortion.

Oh Jennie, it’s stellar! What a strong visual piece. Those colours are amazing. It’s a very intriguing piece. I like how you put the images in. Is this planned/ created on Photoshop or one of the computer programs? 👏🏻😁😁😁
I cannot wait to see that executed in oil!
What gifted artists we have on this thread. You all are impressing me, even if some of you don’t know that you have wonderful abilities.

Jennie, there are definitely human curves in this one and the colors fit as well! You are on a roll with these abstracts.

Jennie, if it's OK with you, I am going to steal that effect of dark spots on a red background. :D

Thank you Christine and Donna. Thanks for the great tip Donna. I usually use starch on the fabric so that stay nice and stiff before I use the polymer to stick them on the wood.

Christine, to answer your question about time, it really doesn't much matter about the size of the piece, they all take me a long time. :ROFLMAO: The amount of work on what's shown in the pic above took half a day, but to get there, it was two days of drawing. I told you I was slow. I don't know how long the painting will take, that's where I'm the slowest. I will try to work on it today, but I have a lot of work I must do toward my show before I leave town. I have to deliver those packaged promo pieces the day after I come back, and I only have eight of them done right now.

Jennie, I really like your newest concept for the oil piece. Can't wait to see it in oils! ♥️

Last edited:
It’s ok you are slow. It looks like it takes time and thought. That was my point. 🙂 Good luck with your show and getting it all done in time!

Wayne, I really like your piece, especially the diagonal lines you got with your knife blade and the square cube forms all in between. All in all, it makes for a greatly designed piece without it being a literally "designed" painting. It has just enough subtleties. The colors and blends are so aesthetically beautiful, which you are so good at with your flower pieces. It's quintessential Wayne and a successful abstract. Very well done, sir. ♥️
Thank you Ayin

Donna .. never mind the negatives .. use them as fuel to gain another step on the rung .. your abstracts are abstracts and with abstracts you either like or dislike .. I do get the blue much more than the pink but I think it boils down to my color preferences. Keep smiling and putting them out.

Here is mine in its 4th stage (sorry I failed to take pictures at its earlier stages). I kinda hate it being shown at this stage because I know I'll be making it look a lot more "neat and tidy" once I get to the oil painting stage
.. waiting for the paint .. another good start .. ♥️

Back