Sept. Abstract Challenge (1)

The black/ dark red really makes the bright green stand out - powerful image! I don’t use much green either and I know why. I have such a hard time keeping an abstract truly abstract and anything green becomes a tree or field or leaf …

One more oddity from me. I used acrylics over layers of transparent watercolor and thin lines of black gesso. I was trying to get more interest with layers and not rely so much on texture. Pushing for some saturated colors is out of my comfort zone but I can find quiet areas in the neutral grays. Curves, angles, the love of color and oddity. Wait, was oddity a theme? 10 x10 acrylic, watercolor and black gesso on watercolor paper.

IMG_3354pscs2.jpg

Jennie your piece reminds me of a slightly psychedlic Christmas tree in a tornado! The drama catches my interest. Like it is whipping around and starting to disintegrate. I like the use of green and colours near the base. It has a story to tell. Cool piece.👍🏻🙂

Last edited:
Donna I like the painting’s use of colour. I think you are bolder with colour than you think. I like you are thinking of and trying to use several elements. I like the subtle quiet areas and I think they are far more than the grey. Lines, curves, you have struck a wonderful balance in your piece while having lots of interest.You have a beautiful glow with the red and a sense of inner light guiding us almost like into a universe in the middle. I could look at this for quite a while!

Last edited:
Christine, my abstracts never turn out like I imagine but I’m going to stop fighting them. 🤣 Thank you for the encouragement!

Thanks for looking, Jennie.

You are welcome. Mine don’t turn out the way I plan it either and I’ve embraced it. Often I think they turn out better! Some people like to plan down to the last little bit, so I guess it just depends on the artist. I like leaving my arms open a to what can happen. Its a fun adventure!🙂

Back