Sept. Abstract Challenge (1)

Hermes, I absolutely love the design of your piece and I look forward to seeing it in color! Your magenta/phthalo green combination might just produce some surprises. Are the big shapes squeezing the little ones into the center or are the big ones only there to support the little ones or do they exist in harmony? I’m already making up stories. 🙂 Thanks so much for looking at my contribution/experiment. I think I might be finding a style that feels like me.

Christine and Ayin, thank you so much! I will gladly accept all encouragement because I’m really hoping to be able to keep going with abstracts. My plan is to figure out what works and doesn’t work for me and then do bigger pieces. I would feel awful if I wasted a ton of paint on a large canvas.
Thank you Donna. In the meantime I have adjusted the composition slightly, but the the small shapes at the centre will remain the same. As for an interpretation, yours is interesting and it pleases me that every viewer sees something different in my paintings. As for my own feelings about this design, I would say that it is more an expression of a colourful explosion (the French word éclat conveys better what I mean) or perhaps a birth process where the big shapes are growing out of the small seeds near the centre. But, honestly, my paintings are just physical objects that show my feelings about colours and textures in the physical world; they have little or no poetic or spiritual content.

Last edited:
I had a dream about this challenge last night, but I can't remember it now. :ROFLMAO:

EDIT:

Also, I've been looking for a square panel around here, and I just can't find one smaller than 24 inches. I didn't want to make anything that big because I was saving those panels for my other series. I might have to make it on a rectangle or order something from Blick.

Very cool, Donna, it reminds me of cactus shapes.
Hermes, this is a great start, too.

A quick one with watercolor first then gouache using the magenta/thalo green concept. I added yellow. Nice rich colors!
Purple Posies Abstract.jpg

Jennie and Donna, I woke up a few minutes ago and residual sleep was blown out of my eyes by your powerful paintings. Seeing those real works of art gave me pause! I will just have to accept the fact that my contribution is most probably going to be weak in comparison, but I shall battle on and keep telling myself that I am experimenting and learning.
Thanks Hermes. I printed a copy of one, and have edited into something new. Experimenting and Learning can't be a bad way to go.

I liked the blue, but this is absolutely sublime.👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻 What you wanted to convey and what the piece conveys, totally syncs. Congratulations - a wonderful effective piece! I’m glad to see you’re open to experimenting and changing things around and just trying ideas, just to see. Your work is beautiful.

I liked the blue, but this is absolutely sublime.👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻 What you wanted to convey and what the piece conveys, totally syncs. Congratulations - a wonderful effective piece! I’m glad to see you’re open to experimenting and changing things around and just trying ideas, just to see. Your work is beautif

Kay, I love the vibrant look of yours and I get a fresh, floral feel. Are you familiar with the work of Stan Kurth? He uses gouache over transparent watercolor too.

Jennie, I liked the original but really love the transformation! The title is just perfect because it does have a soft, gentle feel. I’ll be back to admire this one many times.

I shared the image of my last abstract with a dear, longtime art friend who also occasionally does abstract work. I am still reeling from her comments. She hates “pink” (it’s magenta!) and actually laughed at my painting. I never expect that everyone will like everything I make but being laughed at by a friend was a new low. I don’t even share my abstracts with my family because I know they don’t like or appreciate this kind of art. Anyway, thanks to all here who have been kind to each other - whether you like pink or not!

First, Kay, I love your bold piece, which also reminded me of a floral-driven feeling, too. It has a beautiful technique, which you always master. I'm always taken with your painting expertise.

I also really like the gentleness of your piece Jennie. It's got a simplicity to it, and also has a Klee vibe there in a way (one of my favorite artists). I also see a tulip curving up to the right, but I don't know if that's on purpose.

Donna...I'm shocked at your experience with your "art friend!" What on earth? I'll tell you, I've experienced a few similar situations, especially when I was a lot younger, that were very memorable and impacted me a lot. I mean, I still think about them, but I realize that it said more about the friend than it did about me or my art. So, she doesn't like pink, and she may have just been jealous at how you can communicate such ethereal concepts through original techniques in painting. Seriously, that's not easy to do, especially instinctually and you'd be surprised how even the best of friends can get envious. She might not even be fully aware of it.

And if it's not her thing, then she doesn't "get it." And that's okay. Many other people do. I LOVE pink, by the way.

One of my first shows, which was in a popular coffee house on Melrose Ave. in LA, my good "art friend" stopped by to see it and I asked her what she thought. She said, "It was okay, but not as real art." I never forgot that for years afterward. As if my work was a joke. But a lot of people might think my work is kind of a joke. Now I just ignore that because enough other people get what I'm doing.

Donna, I second what Arty says.
I am sorry though, it must have stung. We expect some support from our friends. And someone who gives a good critique offers up good points as well. Often people start and stop at just the criticism. There’s nothing constructive about it.
Abstract is the most misunderstood of all art styles. There’s hordes people who don’t understand it, let alone appreciate it. Took me years to really come to love it even after all the art education and art appreciation classes. It is not for everyone and there is a lot of subpar work to wade through (I don’t love it all). People will gravitate to what they like.
I’ve always done a lot of realism and been complimented on it. Lately my abstract is getting all the feedback and wonder. The interest. Even offers to purchase! The big reactions. Where did that come from? But I have family and friends and people who just look at it and smile and try to be polite. Or look at it perplexed. I know it’s not for them. My daughter doesn’t understand any of it at 23. Especially the very “boring” ethereal paintings. Some of my favourites. She asked me, “What’s even the point of this?” I was not at all offended. I actually laughed and I told her what I thought about it, but I told her she doesn’t have to like it or understand it. For me especially at that time, it was the most soothing piece - like floating underwater in the jewel like water. It suited me. My husband like “busy” type abstracts of mine. He’s still a little upset that I painted over his favourite because I wanted to go in a different direction. Lol.
And whenever anyone sees a selection of all my work, I stand back quietly and it is amazing how everyone picks out a different favorite. I’ve had people point out my weakest pieces as their favourites. I often found my strongest pieces, which I thought would be most popular, were nodded at and passed over and they went for something else. It was always a bit of a surprise. All different individual tastes. But when it comes to my abstracts, I expect a certain amount of people will just not get it. They’ll go straight for the realism. I just expect it. Also I am ready for comments that anyone can throw paint at canvas. That’s the joke. So the reactions to my realism and my abstract are always a surprise.
I think you have to ready for all kinds of reactions. And the problem is when you ask for honesty, some friends or some family will be very honest in their critiques. Which could be a little bit jarring. But it’s only their opinion. Everyone will always have an opinion, educated or not. And Arty is right that some artists are jealous or they don’t understand abstract art either. They can say what they want but if they say it was easy- an act of throwing it together, I’ll say fine. Let’s just see how you do it then. I can be direct and honest back. And honestly, if they haven’t tried creating them, they don’t know. They probably wouldn’t know the first thing to do.
I know it hurts, I keep a sense of humour about it. After all, I have definitely walked in and seen art that I just thought was awful. Or I just didn’t understand and I’ve grown so much since then. There still is a lot of awful art. Sloppy. But I do remember my art appreciation course when the teacher was trying to open our minds to different kinds of art. The rule was when we went to art museums/ galleries, not to declare you like a painting or not. We were told to keep “like” out of it. Instead, try to see where the artist was going with his work and did he achieve it? And how did he do that with the tools he had. And to realize there’s more than one way to approach a subject. So for example, on the face of it, a very ugly abstract could be perfectly conveying an ugly subject/state of mind etc. And that would be successful. Sometimes in music, you have a perfect sync between what the lyrics are saying, and the sound of the piece. It doesn’t always have to be the classical beautiful sound. A beautiful melody. It could be jarring, shocking, heavy. When an artist gets it perfectly right, that’s when it’s Art. It went beyond the norm. And you will know it because you will just be struck by a piece. You won’t even have to read what it was supposed to be about. You will know instantly.
It is actually difficult to create such a piece.
Most of the general population have never had an art appreciation course or painted anything. How many artists have never taken a course either! So it’s not for your friend. Fine. Here are some pretty flowers or landscape she might like. You know? There are many artists that come to the forum that will never step into the contemporary or abstract art section and be perfectly happy. They don’t understand it or they don’t like it, and they’re not even open to expanding their minds. They are free to do that. They are not your audience. There are others who are really not very interested in portraits or landscapes or flowers, etc. Those people are your audience ! 😉
Kudos to you for doing more then just landscapes and flowers! And you did it very well.
Paintboss ( The Grand Puba of this thread) has spoken!🙂

Arty and Christine, I appreciate your thoughts very much and thank you for sharing them. Arty, I can’t believe anyone ever told you that your art isn’t real art but I’m glad you got past that. Christine, you summed it all up so well. If it wasn’t a friend the comments would be much easier to brush off and ignore. I need tougher skin, I guess.

Arty and Christine, I appreciate your thoughts very much and thank you for sharing them. Arty, I can’t believe anyone ever told you that your art isn’t real art but I’m glad you got past that. Christine, you summed it all up so well. If it wasn’t a friend the comments would be much easier to brush off and ignore. I need tougher skin, I guess.
Hey, we can all get hurt even now. Unfortunately, the road to tougher skin is usually experiences that are not so pleasant. I appreciate honesty a great deal. But aside from the art perspective, sometimes we find out a little bit about our friends or who our friends are in the way they handle things. We should give them some grace that maybe they just didn’t handle it as well as they could. But I would also personally be more cautious now about opening myself up to this person. Friends can make mistakes but often they will try to be gentle with feelings. I’m not so sure about family- sometimes they are the most direct of all. But sometimes you have to guard your heart a little bit when trying new things. You don’t want to get shut down by others when trying to branch out trying something new. Especially as a creative person. Protect that space! Don’t let others discourage you.

First, Kay, I love your bold piece, which also reminded me of a floral-driven feeling, too. It has a beautiful technique, which you always master. I'm always taken with your painting expertise.

I also really like the gentleness of your piece Jennie. It's got a simplicity to it, and also has a Klee vibe there in a way (one of my favorite artists). I also see a tulip curving up to the right, but I don't know if that's on purpose.

Donna...I'm shocked at your experience with your "art friend!" What on earth? I'll tell you, I've experienced a few similar situations, especially when I was a lot younger, that were very memorable and impacted me a lot. I mean, I still think about them, but I realize that it said more about the friend than it did about me or my art. So, she doesn't like pink, and she may have just been jealous at how you can communicate such ethereal concepts through original techniques in painting. Seriously, that's not easy to do, especially instinctually and you'd be surprised how even the best of friends can get envious. She might not even be fully aware of it.

And if it's not her thing, then she doesn't "get it." And that's okay. Many other people do. I LOVE pink, by the way.

One of my first shows, which was in a popular coffee house on Melrose Ave. in LA, my good "art friend" stopped by to see it and I asked her what she thought. She said, "It was okay, but not as real art." I never forgot that for years afterward. As if my work was a joke. But a lot of people might think my work is kind of a joke. Now I just ignore that because enough other people get what I'm doing.
Thanks Ayen. "also really like the gentleness of your piece Jennie. It's got a simplicity to it, and also has a Klee vibe there in a way (one of my favorite artists). I also ...
Edit: just had a closer look. Now I see a tulip too. "

see a tulip curving up to the right, but I don't know if that's on purpose."

Klee, hadn't thought of him. I'll have to have a serious look at it. I wasn't thinking tulip but when I went with the curve landscape and floral elements were there.

I've been reading the earlier accounts of unkind comments and can empathize with your reactions to these. I, on the other hand, possess twofold immunity to unkind remarks: firstly, I have an inborn ability to just ignore people and events that others may find upsetting. Secondly, as a scientist one is trained to expect sometimes severe peer review of one's work. So, I simply do not let any criticism upset me and move on very easily after extracting anything useful out of any comments, whether constructive or not.

I really dig it Dave. Look at those layers of paint, the thickness…Look at the dynamic colours and energy of this piece! Don’t count yourself out Dave!👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻🙂

Back