Self-Portrait with RBF

laika

Loitering Member
This category/forum offers new possibilities, seeing as how I scribble and doddle much more than I attempt to make High Art ;-) Anyway, here is the latest entry in my 9"x12" newsprint pad. Black Conte pencil on newsprint (cropped):
rbf.jpg

Nice, Lamar! I've looked at that newsprint paper before, and thought it was kinda thin, and that I was likely to tear it up. It certainly worked for you here, though - looks great.

Good crosshatching. :)

Thanks? I feel like crosshatching got scrambled when a speck of my visual cortex died a few years ago, so it feels odd to hear positive words on that particular thing. I try and try to crosshatch with pen-and-ink, but it just doesn't seem to be there anymore; maybe the effort is paying off to some degree after all.
I've looked at that newsprint paper before, and thought it was kinda thin, and that I was likely to tear it up.

You are not wrong, and it's thoroughly non-archival! But the heart wants what the heart wants (and newsprint is inexpensive).

Oh, I get it, Lamar! 🤣 I'm happy you got what you wanted and had such a good outcome with it.

But thanks also for validating my suspicions about the paper. ;)

Fun. Enjoy seeing you! Hadn't heard that RBF thing. I think it is concentration of looking at yourself. :)

Nice drawing Lamar. It looks as if you had fun doing it. For me, that's what art is all about.

Anne

Hadn't heard that RBF thing. I think it is concentration of looking at yourself. :)
I’ve never heard of an RBF either.
I think RBF is mostly a joke, but for some working people it does pose a problem if one's relaxed expression is a scowl or some such. I think my RBF is a product of squinting. My betrothed tries to make me aware of it and she does tell me that I smile quite a bit too :)

I had to chuckle two times: first when I saw the expression in your drawing and the second time when I looked up what RBF means. Great drawing - love it!
Cheers
Tanja

Thanks for the kind words, tanjaf and snoball!

Regarding RBF: my scowl is the result of years of squinting from the bright sunlight. I'm generally a decent human being who means well :)

I think RBF is actually a subconscious defense mechanism to present an invisible barrier to the environment to protect yourself when your brain is distracted—a good thing! 😫

Nice, the drawing captures that look. I think most of us have a bit of RFB. Besides, I don’t trust people who smile all the time.

Thanks, Scamall and PB, for the kinds words and your thoughts on RBF :)

Nice to ‘meet’ you!…. even your RBF face!😂
The drawing seems to have a lot of vigour in the use of the pencil, good, so I’m surprised the newsprint stood up to it! It’s a good, cheap paper for practice ( over here, used to be used a lot in schools!).
“ I think most of us have a bit of RBF “ …. I agree , I definitely have one!!😂😂

Back