Scavenger Hunt from Life #77: Jul 21- Jul 29

Jo Castillo

Supporting Member
The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.

If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:
https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/

Here are the rules for the Hunt:
*All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the list, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
*Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
*Have fun!
*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required!

Jeanne, "J", hasn't been well so am posting this to honor Jeanne who has been around since the beginning. She had a fun idea and posted it in 2016. (Lots of reading today, I apologize for that.)

The List: For Scavenger Hunt from Life 77 July 21 - July 29, 2023

Scavenger Hunt 469 October 6 - 14, 2016 by “J”, Jeanne

shelves or cabinet
vase
bottle
pitcher
fruit
stuffed animal
something yellow
figure (doll or sculpture)
clock, hourglass or timer
brass or gold object
seashell
favorite gemstone or rock
books
box (can be small/decorative)
a tin (Altoids, cookie tin, etc.)
bowl
copper object
silver object
flowerpot
flower
leaves/greenery
plate
cup
musical instrument (real, decorative, or mini)
wooden object
drinking glass

If there are any items you do not have, feel free to substitute with whatever you wish. Try to come as close as you can to a requested object.

I (Jeanne) have a special challenge for this week. (The challenge is totally optional.) All of the items have been selected so that they can fit into a single painting or drawing. Yep, that's right! Get out that HUGE sheet of paper you've been saving. Even a large piece of newsprint or a cut up paper bag should do just fine. A full sheet of watercolor or fine drawing paper would be awesome. Use a canvas and oils if you'd like. You can do either all or just part of the list this way and still count it as completion of the challenge.
1. Position the items on the shelves or cabinet. Take a pic to show us if you'd like. Select your surface to work on.
2. Sketch/paint the items one at a time, or in small groups, just as you would for any other scavenger hunt. Take pics of your work as you go, so you can number them and show us the items as you do them. We will be seeing cropped versions of the entire piece as you continue to work on it.
3. When you've finished, take a photo so that we can see the completed work with all the items you've included in the challenge.

I hope some of you will take up the challenge. I will understand if you can’t. Thanks, Jeanne

So hope you have fun.
I did the challenge two times when she posted it earlier that year and this time. Here were my sketches. Some of the things I used both times. I don't have vases or copper stuff so used the same items also the plate and plant. Funny. Will try that this time, too. Ha. Here are my old ones.
447color_sketch.jpg

First time in April.

469all.jpg

Second time in October. I had also forgotten I had done it in April and was so proud to do all the items. Ha.
Jeanne's were fun as she had so many miniature or stuffed items. I couldn't find one of her sketches on wetcanvas. Sigh...

Thanks for playing along....Jo

Wow..... light just went on the name Jeanne didn't jump out at me until I saw the still life with all the items... she was amazing

Thanks for the list Jo

Nice list, quite some inspiring subjects. I´ll do my best to get one or two sketches in this time round.
I love the hunt, and check it out regularly, but have been participating waaay to seldom...

I did a quick night-time plein aire aka the nocturne of our own dragon-fruit flower blooming. It usually blooms at night and stay opened for a few hours. So I had to take advantage of this type of subject at home.

#1 flower -- done with wc and pencil, a blooming flower of dragon-fruit.

H77_1a.jpg

H77_1b.jpg

H77_1d.jpg

Hi Ned, thanks.

eyepaint, it will be fun.

Ai, thank you. Wow the dragon-fruit flower is beautiful. Will you get a fruit where it bloomed? The fruit is good to eat and interesting, too. Love the photos.

Paul, thanks a bunch. Too bad Jeanne's, "J", art wasn't to be found on wetcanvas. If you are on facebook you might find it. I'm not there anymore.

E.J.H., hey, hope to see some sketches. That's a good thing about the Hunts, you can drop in when inspired or to be inspired!

Jo: Thanks... yes, in about 2 month, we will get one fruit, at the same spot of the flower. Once bloomed, the flower will dry out, and the baby fruit will grow at the base of the flower.

Last edited:
Jo, thanks for the newly recycled list from Jeanne. I remember doing it as a challenge back then. Don't think that will happen this time, but I will work on the items.

Ai, that dragon-fruit flower is so beautiful and so BIG! You did such a great job on it. Too bad it doesn't last longer. Does it only get one bloom or does the plant grow more than one flower & fruit each time?

Ai, tried the dragon fruit a couple of times, it is so different and pretty in and out.

Joan, thanks. Looking forward to all your sketches.

I hope to get the big one done, but in the meantime I sketched, yep you got it, on the porch with a Micron 8 in the BookFactory sketchbook.
Number 1, greenery/leaves

csshfl77greenery.jpg

Jo: Thanks... wonderful leaves sketches...and nice pine needle.

Joan: Thanks. The dragon fruit can be a big cactus vine, which gives several flowers, and each spot of flower will become one fruit. Our home version is lots simple bush vine... but the commercial one with super care can be big and bloom so many flowers at the same time, as this shows --> https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=dragon+fruit+vine

Jo, nice greenery. Luckily you have a comfortable spot to sketch from. How has the heat been?

Ai, thanks for a link to see what the plant looks like. I was really surprised to see so many dragon fruits growing on one plant. I still haven't tasted one, although I do see them in the market here once in a while.

1 - something yellow - watercolors and ink
2 - leaves/greenery

IMG_2987.jpeg

3 - flowerpots - direct watercolor
4 - flowers

IMG_2993.jpeg

I have lined up 12 items so far and will stop at that and start sketching within the next day ( I hope )... Not sure how this is going to come out but for better or worse I will post my sketch.....

Back