Scavenger Hunt from Life #1 Nov 10 - Nov 18

Ai - Love your book, and all of your work. You must never sleep!
Joan - Your landscape sketches are always so colorful and fresh.
Triss - Love the highlights on your mugs, as they look very natural.
ntl - Your sure know how to draw already! Tha would have taken me a very long time.
Joe - Your mug is my fave item here. Really well done.

Thanks for the comments, everyone :)

Joe - Yes I did make the mug. The top rim is not level so if I look at the wrong part when I fill with tea I can make a mess. The Magic Bag is filled with something (beans? seeds? rice?) and you microwave it and put it on sore body parts or put it on your feet in bed - my use. Something like so:
https://www.masdelinc.com/en/magic-bag/ Hmmm it's Canadian? "Created and Crafted in Canada for 30 years now" ... maybe it's time to replace mine ..

Hi EP - Good to see you here! Im seeing so many WC members here since I joined at the end of Sept. Its so good to catch-up with online friends!

I did another. I wasn't sure about drawing a hand but I just went for it and it came out better than expected.

Pencil in Aquabee 4"x6" Super Deluxe Sketch Book. I haven't used this one in a while but I like wire bound better than the hardbound I have with my Stillman & Birn. Scavenger Hunt is a good way to use up some old sketchbooks. Then I can go shopping! :rolleyes:

20211114_151217.jpg

7E1ED388-B495-43D3-A63C-C395935931B2.png
A25DE2FE-B742-4649-AAE3-C909259F524C.jpeg
Scavenger Hunt #1 sketch 3 something blue (2 mirrors and a wall hanging) and sketch 4 something savory (our attempt at an English breakfast) . Both digital on iPhone

Eyepaint- I love that you included so many prompts in one sketch, great work! I have to ask, what is a magic bag

Triss- I really like your style. The bathroom items are beautiful as is the landscape

Ai - the scooter is fantastic, Great poses on the moving target (cat)

Joan- nice sketches, that mirror takes me back, since covid I “wing it” with makeup 😀

Last edited:
Anne, thanks for the suggestion of the digital program. Don't know if I can download anything else to my iPad. It is old and doesn't have much memory. Nice hand and screwdriver sketch. I like your glass and mirror. I have a similar one but it is in my bedroom.

Joy, thank you. Your stacked cups look pretty good to me. I like the green reflection on the yellow cup. Sketchbooks are tricky. Either you don't get the vibrant colors that you get with watercolor paper or they don't handle too much water and the paint lifts too easily. I think it is a plot to make us go out and try new ones all the time. lol

EP, I have something similar to your magic bag, but it is bigger. I use it to heat or sometimes ice my back when it is sore. The one in the link has a nice pattern. Mine is a boring muslin color.

Mary, cool digital breakfast sketch!! I like that. Nice shine on your mirrors.

6 - out my window - watercolors (from my mobile studio)
IMG_9031 (1).jpeg
IMG_9027.jpeg

Attachments

• tempImageVCu3G6.png
    tempImageVCu3G6.png
    806.7 KB · Views: 86
Mary, nice wall mirror and breakfast.

Joan, nice work on both of yours. It looks as if fall colors are in full swing right now. Thanks for your comment on mine.

Sketchbooks are tricky. Either you don't get the vibrant colors that you get with watercolor paper or they don't handle too much water and the paint lifts too easily. I think it is a plot to make us go out and try new ones all the time. lol
Isn't that the truth. :D

Joan: Thanks. Wow...those yellow leaves scene from your car is so stunning and your sketch came out super nice too. Love the X-crossing sketch.

Joy: Thanks.... I do sleep ;)... but I was an ex-painter who after the hit of my 2nd child... my life seems too busy for any real painting session... so now I grab any moment I can for sketching plus these little art time helps calm me down. I think you did great with your 3 cups... It spells homey, cozy for me. I ditto what Anne said about the sketchbook paper. Now I don't buy new sketchbook in the Moleskine quality ... just variety cheapo one in Thailand ... that prompt me to do a quick wash. But even my original painting style was away from layers of wash... as I am an impatient to wait for paint drying.

Mary: That a fantastic set of blue inspired digi on iPhone. Love the food plate.

Anne: Thanks. Great result with the hand holding the tool.

Reactions: ams
thank you all.
You have posted beautiful works,
Jeanne, don't worry about the comments, the most important thing is that you can create art and have fun with it, it's good to see your work.
2 something sweet
3something savory

on a5. they are dried figs and a bag of spicy chips lying on a table.
both things hadn't happened to me for a long time
cibo life.jpg

Thanks for your comments Mary, Vivien, Ai, and Joe1. Most of my landscapes are views out my car window. lol

Joe 1, good sketches of what was on the table. Dried figs or chips both sound good to me.

Joy - You are being overly critical. If I did watercolor that good I would be bragging. Think it looks good. Thanks for kind words!

Anne the hand and toll are well done. Nice hatching

Mary - Like how you added reflection on the mirrors. Great job on breakfast right down to the dash of pepper on the eggs!

Joan - pretty fall colors in both landscapes.

Joe1 - Nice line work on the figs and chips.

#2 lamp - floor lamp
#3 travel - submarine insigna. Traveled a lot of world underwater.
#4 glass
Sketched in pencil in sketchbook then drew in ink and erased the pencil. Wanted the stronger contrast of black ink on white paper.

4DE651F9-3A33-46C4-9314-5A87559A9F55.jpeg

Upgraded my phone and camera is great.

Keep sketching
Joe

Wow, this place exploded since I was here on Saturday. Fun, fun, fun!
Thanks for all the comments.
Joe - I love the angel mug. That would make a great card. Thanks for sketching it.

Triss - the two apples with the blue mug in acrylic ink with the drippy marks is so good! Great job on the quick bathroom items. I don't have a rubber duck, so sad. Your landscape with acrylic ink and pastel is lovely. Love the light on the field.

NedL - Always nice to see you, hi.

ntl - thanks. More sketching is good, I use it for "homework" for painting. Look well, make a stroke and leave it. Of course that is something you have to think about and I don't always do that. You did the toothbrush holder in charcoal very well. Very hard for me.

Mary, great job on the mug! Thanks, so different for my collection.

EP, Woohoo, a blue wonky mug. Your hand and toothbrush are good and the magic bag looks soft. I need to get one for Gene for aches and pains and one for me to warm my feet at night.

"J" - sweet to see you back as you. Happy you can draw and paint. Bummer on the arthritis. I had a friend long, long ago that swore by a heavy veggie diet, especially greens like spinach and asparagus.

Ai, I was surprised to see a clog collection. Fun. Your cat is good for one on the move from a distance .. I would have to do that as well. Excellent on the motor bike. Wow.

Anne, nice to see you again. I had a mirror like that. Nice ellipses.

Joy - the cups have such good shape and gesture. I know what you mean about the blooming. The Canson Mix Media sketchbooks take the light watercolor but since I don't do watercolor other than a light wash in that type of book, I can't help. I have a sketchbook with actual watercolor paper in it and my sketches there have bloomed, too. But that is probably my lack of practice.

I sketched in the big book with a Micron 02 on the first and a Sharpie pen on the second. I'm not sure everyone will think Spam is savory, but I love it fried for breakfast with eggs and chile.
cs1sweet.jpg

cs1ellipses.jpg

All I can say is: great work by everyone! 👏 This is a fast-paced thread, lots of great sketches by all.

I was thrilled with the idea of adding water to Nupastels that I came across in here. I thought I'd get to try it, and do some more of these, but it seems I won't. Maybe next time!

So here's what I did get done. Cup/mug (one of my favorite coffee mugs, with petroglyph art), sketching tool (clay shaper for oil pastel work) and my cat at the kitchen window. I had to go fast with her - I don't draw animals, but she was fixated on something out there and I got a rough outline in.

This is all graphite (my cheap drawing pencil set), on Canson 11x14 mix media sketchbook paper.

Sketches for CS scavenger hunt.jpg

I hurried and missed a whole page for comments.

Anne, you did great on the hand and tool. We have sketched hands a lot. Asked in the challenges sometimes for a page of hands or a page of your thumb in different positions to work on perspective. Happy you tried it.

Mary, I like your breakfast for savory. Nice blue mirror and hangings.

Joan, your sketch out your mobile window is lovely. Nice fall colors and direct wc to boot! Ah, clever find for letters on the RR Crossing.

joe1lt - Your figs and chips are good enough that they made me hungry! Off to find something.

Joe, nice insignia. Very different lamp. The glass needs some beer in it! Good Hunt finds.

Terri and I cross posted. I love, love the mug. I'm using it as I broke my favorite this morning. Cute kitty and a tool I use for soft pastels.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Joe1, the figs and chips look good. I want to pick up a fig and have a snack!

Joe (jmfletch), I like your lamp, submarine insignia and glass. Your technique is one I like to do also. Start with a pencil sketch and then go over it with ink. Your phone did a fantastic job of taking a picture of your sketches.

Jo, love your pen and ink drawings. You managed to get quite a few completed here.

Terri, nice sketches. I especially like your cat. You do not need to be afraid of doing animals.

Jo, thanks for the comment on my hand. I was really surprised that it came out as well as it did. I'm glad I decided to give it a try.

There are still a few days left in this "week." Hope to get a few more done.

Jo, Anne - thank you!

Jo - I think we did cross post! I love your "savory" Spam!! :ROFLMAO: Great idea and great rendering, and your bowls look so good with the spoon handles resting on the edge!

I don't think I'll be able to get anymore drawings in, but I promise I'll stay more up to date and not feel so overwhelmed with the comments. Everyone has done lovely work. ❤️ And I learned a tidbit about Nupastels along the way!

This has been a very impressive first "outing" for this scavenger hunt, and I certainly can always use the practice!

Reactions: ams
It's been a fun Hunt. I hope all y'all aren't intimidated by the comments. It is definitely not required, we like to see sketches, practice, new styles and info .. mainly sketches.
I hope to get another done ...

Back