Scavenger Hunt from Life #1 Nov 10 - Nov 18

Great stuffs you guys: Joe1, Joe, Jo, Terri. :love:
Thanks for you all kind comments too for my sketches.

It's been a fun Hunt. I hope all y'all aren't intimidated by the comments. It is definitely not required, we like to see sketches, practice, new styles and info .. mainly sketches.
I hope to get another done ...
I appreciate you saying this, Jo! As someone unfamiliar with this, I think I was a little intimidated by the number of comments. I posted kind of late in, and it seemed a little much to try to touch on everyone's work.

But a lot of participation is definitely a good thing! I certainly appreciate a way to get some sketching in. :)

ams - Nice lines on your glass, and I like the pencil shading for the mirror. Glad you're enjoying using up your sketchbooks, and had a go and drawing your hand - great result!

Joy - You sound really frustrated with what's a good sketch. Maybe you'll not learn to love the Canson paper you're using, but you can still have some fun experimenting on it - perhaps it's a great paper for trying simple direct colour instead of using glazes? I work on awful paper a lot, and having lower expectations definitely does help!

Mary - Love your mirror & breakfast sketches! Such fun work with the brushes, colours, and composition. Really creative stuff - I'm enjoying seeing these.

Joan - Beautiful work on the colours with both sketches, and fun to see inside your mobile studio. Clever sub with the crossing sign, and I love the road markings, too.

Joe1 - Nice, energetic drawing for both sketches, and I like the line quality.

Joe - Don't tempt me about the lumber crayons - I'm trying to reduce my stash of sketching stuff! I like the strong ink look, and the lines on the glass work particularly well (love seeing a bit of scribble creeping into the submarine insignia shading, too!).

Jo - Love the heavy texture quality of the line in the first sketch, and then the more relaxed look for the bowls - great drawing in both.

Terri - Fab shading on the mug, love the texture and the heavy darks (cool mug, too!). Really happy you had a try at drawing your cat - she looks very interested in whatever's outside, and you caught a great pose! Definitely no obligation to try to keep up with everything here - but it's a success if the threads inspire you to do an extra bit of drawing/painting - glad you could join in!

#7 - My two Not-Cats. Dog1 - XL graphite, A3 sketchbook. Dog2 - Nitram charcoal & ArtGraf white, A3 kraft paper.

notacat1.jpg

notacat2.jpg

ams - Nice lines on your glass, and I like the pencil shading for the mirror. Glad you're enjoying using up your sketchbooks, and had a go and drawing your hand - great result!

Joy - You sound really frustrated with what's a good sketch. Maybe you'll not learn to love the Canson paper you're using, but you can still have some fun experimenting on it - perhaps it's a great paper for trying simple direct colour instead of using glazes? I work on awful paper a lot, and having lower expectations definitely does help!

Mary - Love your mirror & breakfast sketches! Such fun work with the brushes, colours, and composition. Really creative stuff - I'm enjoying seeing these.

Joan - Beautiful work on the colours with both sketches, and fun to see inside your mobile studio. Clever sub with the crossing sign, and I love the road markings, too.

Joe1 - Nice, energetic drawing for both sketches, and I like the line quality.

Joe - Don't tempt me about the lumber crayons - I'm trying to reduce my stash of sketching stuff! I like the strong ink look, and the lines on the glass work particularly well (love seeing a bit of scribble creeping into the submarine insignia shading, too!).

Jo - Love the heavy texture quality of the line in the first sketch, and then the more relaxed look for the bowls - great drawing in both.

Terri - Fab shading on the mug, love the texture and the heavy darks (cool mug, too!). Really happy you had a try at drawing your cat - she looks very interested in whatever's outside, and you caught a great pose! Definitely no obligation to try to keep up with everything here - but it's a success if the threads inspire you to do an extra bit of drawing/painting - glad you could join in!

#7 - My two Not-Cats. Dog1 - XL graphite, A3 sketchbook. Dog2 - Nitram charcoal & ArtGraf white, A3 kraft paper.

View attachment 13221
View attachment 13222
Love the sketches of your dogs! Great sketching!

thank you all for nice words, Jo, Terri, beautiful work on mugs and everything,

Triss, wonderful work on both of you.

Hi to my bestest art buddies ever! I used to post on wet canvas under the moniker azulparsnip....Robin Susan are my birth names...and so after a long while I am happy to be among you working artists again.
I am not sure I can download photos of work with this iPad but I will try....
But for now please receive my humble presence.....

#1 Out of the window
In a home made sketchbook made of sm/lt watercolor paper (not the best, that's why I made a sketchbook out of it).
Unipin fineliner, and Sonnet watercolor. It's the view from one of the windows at my workplace, in quick line and wash (about 8x10 cm).
20211116_125128.jpg

Last edited:
Triss, thank you! :) I love the sketches of your pups. That kraft paper looks great, I really like it!

Robin, nice job with your interior sketches, as well as through the window! I'd be afraid to show everyone the view under my sink. 😆 These look great!

EJH - beautiful watercolor! You have a nice view from your work place. A homemade sketchbook sounds like a clever way to use up your less favorite paper. Good job. :)

Really nice works here!
EJH, you do have a nice view, and a nice rendition of it.
Robin, well done on challenging scenes.
Aah! Triss, a happy dog is a tired dog! Yours look happy! And IMO, a happy artist is one who depicts sleeping dogs so well!
ams, that hand is very nice.
MaryK, Nice work on "blue". You did a wonderful job on the eggs in particular.
Joan, wonderful sketches!
Joe1it and Joe, good sketches, both. Going over with ink was a good idea.
Jo and Terri, both wonderful!

Here is my #6, a small appliance. 8x11, General/Kimberly drawing pencils on an inexpensive, no-name, sketching tablet.
Kitchenaid mixer:

thumbnail_IMG_6390.jpg

triss, love your dogs, especially the second one. How nice they were willing to go to sleep so you could draw them!

RobinSusan, wonderful sketches.

EJH nice sketch out the window. That's a great use for paper you aren't crazy about.

ntl, like your small appliance. That's a serious mixer!

Here's my #9, small appliance. 4"x6" in Aquabee sketch book, ink & water soluble pencil.

20211116_092113.jpg

ntl, thanks for suggestion.
Ntl, ams, nice jobs with electric appliances.
EJH, EJH, beautiful work, and the colors make it stand out. Susa, good job on everyone

Can anyone offer advice on how to paint on paper that lifts easily in a sketchbook? Or suggestions for good, sturdy sketchbook paper types? Hahnemuhle seems to be mentioned in other sites I have visited. Any experience with this paper?
This is crazy, but I've made a recent discovery that might work for you. I think it's my new "favorite" paper for not taking myself too seriously. (Also most of my "art sales" are digital images, so I'm not too worried about lightfastness/permanency for much of my work.) I picked up a Strathmore Paint Pad, 100 series/Youth at Walmart very inexpensively. (I didn't look at where you are in the world; not sure if US but you can probably find it.) I haven't yet used it extensively, but early experiments are quite promising. The paper doesn't seem to disintegrate with rough handling. I'm sure it wouldn't be appropriate for lifting watercolor, but it does seem to tolerate heavy scrubbing. Not in a sketchbook, but I paid about $4 US for 20 9x12 inch sheets. It's cheap enough that I feel like I can experiment with abandon and not worry about how much paper I'm going through, and it's easy to get.

Edited to add: OOPS you said you wanted paper for lifting. LOL. Sorry. Leaving this here to share my discovery with others, anyway.

RobinSusan - Love the style of your outside the window sketch, and your closet looks much tidier than mine even upside down!

E.J.H. - Gorgeous quick watercolour - particularly love those colours and the wonderful reflection effect.

ntl - Thanks! A really happy artist would be able to draw both dogs when they're awake (Dog1 poses pretty agreeably - so I have some sketches of him - but I don't have much success with Dog2). Love the shading on your kitchen mixer - really nice mix of marks, and great work getting the shapes.

ams - Lovely result with the ink and watersoluble pencil, I like the look of that combination, and fun drawing!

#4h - I sketched this earlier in the week in pastel for the Weekly Challenge, but it was still set up so I had another go at it in acrylic & gel crayon today - trying to learn a few tricks from Ai and Mary's great sketches this week. Wish I'd pushed the wonkiness a bit more, but I did have fun messing about with the acrylics. Not-blue apples & pear, A2 acrylic paper.

applespear.jpg

Great comments everyone, I'll be quick. Lots to do.

Triss, love the dogs. Pears are full of excitement and scrumptious.

Robin welcome to the SHFL bunch. I always like your squirrely/curvy hatching. Fun to see you.

E.J.H. welcome. I love the architecture!

ntl, love the mixer. Always wanted one. I have the hand model. Works good, less space.

Anne, blender looks great.

amo, thanks for the watercolor paper advice.

EJ- airy take out the window, nice aritectu too
ntl - nifty mixer, like the details of bowl ribs
amo -oh, that’s a cool retro blender, thanks for the paper tip, I will def check it out
triss-love the brusque fruits, tres atmospheriq

cup, elipses, lamp, chair
4703C3F5-7203-407D-8686-37A9094EB020.jpeg

Back