Scavenger Hunt from Life #1 Nov 10 - Nov 18

Jo Castillo

Supporting Member
Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts from Life. The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.

If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:
https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/

Here are the rules for the Hunt:
*All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the list, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
*Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
*Have fun!
*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required.

Scavenger Hunt from Life #1 - Nov 10 - Nov 18

cup or mug
favorite sketching tool
something blue
out your window
in a closet
from the bathroom
mailbox
your hand holding one of the items
with wheels
travel
open book
glass
cat
tool
small appliance
something with numbers
something sweet
something savory
something spicy
something with ellipses
favorite chair
steps or step stool
lamp
shoes
sea shell
under the sink

Challenge for this Hunt:
Substitutes accepted like dog for cat or stuffed animal
Draw an item with your non dominant hand

Last edited:
I hope you join in our Hunts. We have made so many friends and had fun over the years. I'll post the first sketch so you'll get the idea. I could have done individual sketches, I like to combine. These are in my big coffee table sketchbook with a Micron 02 pen. Time about 10 minutes, I sketch freehand .. as you can tell.
1blue-seashell-hand.jpg

Number 1 blue-little blue pot
Number 2, sea shell - two small ones, the only ones I have
Number 3, your hand holding one of the items

Here is a bad photo
photo-hand.jpg

Sounds like fun!

That's a pretty good sketch for 10 minutes - wow!

Thank you for getting this started, Jo! I confess it made me smile to see your sketchbook note saying, "First sketch of Creative Spark Scavenger Hunts from Life." ❤

Here's to many more!

Jo: Thanks for the list and thank you for starting the Scavenger Hunt from Life#1. I love your sketch of those gems on your hand.

Thanks for coming up with the new list, Jo. Nice that you can fit so many of the items into your hand.

To all newcomers, Jo posted a photo of her actual subjects just so you can get the idea. You don't have to show a photo unless you want to. The sketch is what we are looking forward to seeing. You can sketch in any medium. You sketch can be black & white or in color.

Wahoo !!! :giggle: My first set of items here... not the best but done with a quick sketching from life spirit. About 20 minutes total of 2 items in my 9x11 inch Thai local sketchbook... done with a 4B General charcoal pencil.
#1 cup
#2 shell

h1_Nov10-19_2021_cup_shell_a.jpg

h1_Nov10-19_2021_cup_shell_b.jpg

Thanks for posting the first Scavenger Hunt here, Jo. For anyone seeing this thread for the first time - please jump in and join us! Scribbles, failures, and complete disasters are just as welcome as beautiful sketches, so this is a great place to find a fun and encouraging attitude to drawing from life.

Jo - Great hand sketch, and some fab lines - love the contours curving around the tiny pot.

Ai - So glad you've found your quick sketching spirit, and lovely charcoal shading!

MaryKnos - Nice choice for 'tool' - my dogs flee when they see the nail clippers appear! - love the little detail of the spring, and I like the highlights on the skin.

#1 - Sketching tool. Oil sticks (plus succulent - sorry, I need a new plant!). Oil sticks, A2 oil paper.

#2 - Ellipses. Wonky ellipses, coffee jar and jug. Charcoal and indigo stone, A1.

sketchingtool.jpg

badellipses.jpg

I hope you join in our Hunts. We have made so many friends and had fun over the years. I'll post the first sketch so you'll get the idea. I could have done individual sketches, I like to combine. These are in my big coffee table sketchbook with a Micron 02 pen. Time about 10 minutes, I sketch freehand .. as you can tell.
View attachment 12735
Number 1 blue-little blue pot
Number 2, sea shell - two small ones, the only ones I have
Number 3, your hand holding one of the items

Here is a bad photo
View attachment 12736
I love your tchotchkes! Nice job on your lines and shading

Thanks for posting the first Scavenger Hunt here, Jo. For anyone seeing this thread for the first time - please jump in and join us! Scribbles, failures, and complete disasters are just as welcome as beautiful sketches, so this is a great place to find a fun and encouraging attitude to drawing from life.

Jo - Great hand sketch, and some fab lines - love the contours curving around the tiny pot.

Ai - So glad you've found your quick sketching spirit, and lovely charcoal shading!

MaryKnos - Nice choice for 'tool' - my dogs flee when they see the nail clippers appear! - love the little detail of the spring, and I like the highlights on the skin.

#1 - Sketching tool. Oil sticks (plus succulent - sorry, I need a new plant!). Oil sticks, A2 oil paper.

#2 - Ellipses. Wonky ellipses, coffee jar and jug. Charcoal and indigo stone, A1.

View attachment 12748
View attachment 12749

Mary: Thank you... Fantastic quick one on iPhone.
Triss: Thank you... wow... yummy strokes with the oil sticks on both sketches.

This seems like a fun thing! Great idea.

Would you like this thread stickied at the top of this forum?
Yes, pls... esp. for the active period of each Hunt ie. Nov10-Nov 18 for this Hunt#1. Thanks so much Arty.

Last edited:
Thanks, Mary!

Ai - I always love to see your brushpen sketches as they look so much fun! Wonderful, energetic lines for the open book.

#3 - Lamp. Oil sticks, A1.

#4 - Something blue. Distant hills. Oil sticks, A2 oil paper.

lampcs.jpg

bluecs.jpg

Ai, I like your cup, thanks. Interesting shape of shell. Good shading with charcoal. I don't remember you using brush pens before. Great lines. I like the open book in ink a lot.

Mary, great digi hand and tool. A hand selfie made me chuckle.

Triss, there is your succulent in oil sticks. It is squishy and looks fun. I've never used them, on my wish list. Love your ellipses and lines on your cup and jar. Your style gives such action to your still life sketches. Good find on a different lamp! I like your distant hills for blue.

I sketched on the porch and then we went for a walk and I sketched the porch.

Number 4 out my window - digi sketch out the screened in porch for a window. On my iPad with Brushes App. Longer than a pen and ink sketch ... maybe 30 min.
Number 5 steps - the steps out the screen door on the porch with a Sharpie pen in a 7 x 10 in Canson Mix Media sketchbook

shfl1out-window.jpg

shfl1steps.jpg

Ai, nice shape to your mug...a bit unusual. I love the spirals on the shell. It looks like a nice sized one. I only find small ones like that. Nice ellipses for your fruit and onion. Wow! Super illustrations on the open book.

Mary, yay for a hand selfie holding those serious nail clippers. Well done!

Triss, nice to see your oil sticks appear in the sketch with the plant. The wonky ellipses give your sketch such character...nice shading too. That view of the field and hills has such great texture! I want to be there.

Jo, nice view from the porch done on the iPad. I like the steps off the porch but I would need a handrail. lol
1 - with wheels - watercolors...about 45 minutes from my mobile studio
2 - my hand holding....
3 - a mug - Sketch & Wash pencil with water
with wheels.jpeg
IMG_9012.jpeg

Back