Scavenger Hunt #60 - March 7 - 15

EP, thanks!

Ai, you are really getting a lot of people sketching in. The food vendors are making me hungry! I like the sketches of the trees...what kind are the yellow ones? Aside from autumn colors we don't have trees that bloom in yellow. I finished the 100 People challenge last year and each year since 2017. It is hard here because out where I am there aren't people hanging around outdoors at this time of year. I will try down by the park today. It may be warm enough for people to be outside. So far this year all my sketches of people have been done indoors. I haven't had time to do any landscapes since the challenge started. All those figures take too much time as you know...especially if you start to add details.

Alabama Jama, I like your bottle. Is that the beer that they serve with a slice of orange?

Paul, I'm smiling at your very clever sketches that relate to the hunt items. Nice job on those laces.

10 - neck of a bottle - watercolors

IMG_1969.jpeg

Joan: Thanks a lot ... the yellow tree is [Tabebuia argentea Britton] and the pink tree is [Tabebuia rosea]. There blooms are very short life in our tropical climate.. that is why I felt compelled to sketch them, as soon as I saw them at their peak time. It is very unlikely that I will finish all 100 people sketches, even in rough basic stroke styles... But I do enjoy my participation for my first time in this project... as before, I had doubt myself, and end up never try any. I love your trio sketch with beautiful vivid color and nice bottle.

Paul: Thanks... Yes, I do agree with Joan, that your items are so well thought and done in beautiful essential strokes. You said a lot in those simple lines.

Ai - Great series of people sketches. Pretty trees I am with Joan wanting to know what kind they are?

Joan - also a great series of people sketches. No problem with finding people down here. Between snow birds and the influx of new residents everywhere is crowded. Love the shading on the bottle, pepper and lemon.

Alabama Jana - Nice job on the Beer bottle but where is the is orange?

Paul - Truly enjoyed your interpretations of the list. When I saw the head of lettuce I laughed than as I looked at the rest and saw your sketches I thought how clever. Great job!

Back later with today’s effort.
Keep sketching
Joe aka Fletch

Ai, I posted the question before seeing your answers. Thought the pink one looked familiar. We have them here in SWFL. They are tabebuia but locally are called Pink Trumpet trees. Will have to watch now for other colors.

#2 head - headband image is about 2x4in in. 8.5x55 In sketchbook using 0.5mm mech pencil.
32B8605A-FC5F-4079-91CE-96B66D2ECF48.jpeg

Keep sketching
Joe aka Fletch

Last edited:
#6. Mouth ---- mouth piece
#7. Hair --- hair dryer
#8. Ears ---- ear pods
#9. Fingers ----- my running gloves
#10. Arm --- my sweat shirt arm

Just about done with Section 1.

In my 8.5" x 11" sketch pad about 40 minutes

hunt60a.jpg

Last edited:
Ai, good start on being first. The lotto vendors are fun, Nice simple lines. good for you. Cool ear and earphones for Lily. Great piano sketches. The butt made me laugh. Love that you are playing the piano along with the girls. You took on the 100 people challenge, too. I like the red tone. You found some interesting people doing fun things. Your trees are beautiful.

Hi Ned!

Sylwia, cool pencil hyacinth.

Joe aka Fletch, hey there. I like the comb for hair. Nice work. The headband is clever and well drawn.

Boy, Joan, you are going to town on the 100 people sketches. Love the dreadlocks and the purse ladies! Clever ideas. I like your neck and primary colors, too. Nice.

Alabama, clever neck. I like your drawing. Blue Moon sounds like interesting wine. I'll go get a glass. Oops as I'm reading along everyone says beer. Hmmm.

Paul, you did some thinking and found clever items. Looks like a TV tray. We don't have any anymore. Only nesting tables that would be close in ideas. You went all out on your ideas. Love the gloves and hair dryer.

I sketched on the porch on my lap which was not a good idea. I have enough trouble on a steady surface with watercolor.
Number 1, pair of coffee cups - porcelain and Gene's metal cup to keep his coffee hot on the arm of the glider with a hole for the Canteen cup.

csshfl60coffee-cups.jpg

Paul - Another well executed clever set of sketches.

Jo - Even on an unsteady lap you did a great job.

Keep sketching
Joe aka Fletch

#11. Neck --- Crew neck T-Shirt
#12. Waist --- Belt that goes around your waist
#13 Feet ---- Yard Stick (3 feet)
#14. Nose --- Resting place for glasses

eeehaaaa finished section 1... I know I did a bit of stretching but that said what can I say. I will be back to comment later.

Sketches done in my 8.5" x 11" sketch pad no idea maybe an hour...

HUNTSec1.jpg

Ai: Thanks... so many people sketches good luck with your challenge. I cant believe
that is Lily it has been a long time since I have seen you sketch your kids and they are really
growing up very fast well done with the lotto venders, and piano tuner, I miss the street food
vendors, great food for sure, well captured dancing women, nice selection with the
tropical yellow blooms. I don't have my cell phone in my hand but unfortunately
I have come to rely heavy on it.

Sylwia: Well done grape hyacinth, great shading nice and soft.

Fletch. Thanks I have been turned loose, frightening hey! Nice comb
and head band sketch, great detail.

Joan: Thanks... great selection of people sketches, I like your people sketches,
the dreadlocks are my favorite and really like the guy with the head phones, nice
bottle neck why am I thinking you have a well stocked wine refrigerator

Alabama Jama: Well sketched bottle of beer. Blue Moon is one of my
favorite beers. I like wheat beer myself

Jo: Thanks.....nice idea for the coffee cups..

Ai - nice set of people sketches….really enjoyable to see…nice the way that challenge lines up with this hunt list….Lily is growing into a lovely young lady. The piano tuner sketches are my favorite. I noted your pleasure with the Pentel dude touch calligraphy pen and up dated my note and will delight to try it out next time I order from jet pens. Oh man, you and Joan are really giving me desire to sketch people in public. It is a one of a kind experience. I always treasure the sketches when looking back thru. The trees are nice break. Wow, coconut can’t get any fresher than hacked on sight.

Sylwia - lovely airy “sniff” sketch

Fletch - nice comb sketch. I have missed you in some hunts but hearing you mention other forums makes me glad you are still getting in the zone. Lovely headband - the quick sketch feel is rare from you and full of immediate life thought…..dynamic little sketch.

Joan - cool dreads. The body language of all these sunglasses ( nice body language)…. earphones(looks like he is really listening)….. mask and mouth….somehow you’ve captured the concentrated focus in each sense situation. I am impressed. Truely as an artist works their sensitive organs of portrayal are honed.

AlaJama- hi ! Cool neck thinking

MPaul - fun sets! Great outta the box ideas!! Really fun to see what you are coming up with. The #6-10 set is nice line and spacing. working down the list is good to see too

JoC. i checked out the Blick sale and ordered some of the mix media pads….really good sale, thanks for the heads up. Watercolor on the lap is daring, rising above and going forward! I will remember that when I feel boxed in. Your simple follow thru pleasure are evident .

Hope to catch a few sketches today. Thanks each one for your inspiring participation. The sale at bricks Jo linked is solid opportunity. Keep sketching

Ai and Joan wonderful people sketches! Well done!
Paul great choices with those different items!
Alabama Jama terrific choice for "shower head", I never thought of that one.

Here's mine. Pencil & pen & ink on 20cm x 15cm sketchbook
1. Hair - hairbrush
2. Head - cap
3. Eyes - glasses
4. Ears - earrings
20230310_160344.jpg

Joe, your headband came out good. You really made it look flat...but in a good way.

Paul, thanks. The bottle I sketched is actually from Saratoga water (not wine). I found it at a museum cafe and thought I needed a blue bottle at home for art. Nice sketches. I don't know the beach mentioned on the t-shirt. Where is it?

Robin, thank you. I love when I find someone who is a little more unique than most people. They are fun to sketch.

Ai, you are tormenting me with those chocolate delights...sigh! Good sketch of the students...was one napping?

Alabama Jama, love the lizards! How fun!!! Good thinking for the shower head.

Vivien, nice sketches! Your hairbrush has such great texture to the bristles.

I finished my 100 people today. Yay!!! A few of them fit here.

11& 12 - two different people on computers - watercolors and ink

IMG_1977 (1).jpeg

13 - useful arm to carry packages - watercolors and ink

IMG_1980.jpeg

Great sketches and fun wit: Alabama Jama, and Vivian.

Joan:
Thank you, yes, one was napping while wait for food. Your watercolor in people in shop sketches are so charming. Love them all.

Thank you all for kind support.

Paul - you are definitely on the loose. Love your interpretations. All outside the box.

Ai - With all the delicious food you find in local cafes I would weigh 300lbs. Some days like today I think I gained just looking at your sketches.

Bama Jama - Nice work on the shower head. I especially like how you did the hose and end cap.
Cute contour sketch of what looks like geckos

Vivien - Nice set of sketches. Reall like how you did the brush bristles.

Joan - Congratulations on completing the challenge. All look like textbook watercolor figures.

#3 arm - armchair Used HB 2mm clutch pencil in 88.5x55 inch sketchbook. Again fairly quick sketch .
A117A5FE-073B-44AE-BB4D-15B2453B1BB8.jpeg

Keep sketching
Joe aka Fletch

Back