Scavenger Hunt #5 Dec 12 - Dec 20

#7 symbolic of seaside town of HuaHin, ... these are local Thai fishing boats on dry dock due to monsoon season... done in directwatercolor on a double spread of 5x7 inch local sketchbook, about 1.5 hour
20211215_112338.jpg

20211215_111546.jpg

Joe nice ring. i thought it looked Indian design. nice to have something extra special for that! Is this new wife?

Ai, have a really really solo vacation. They are few with a family and career woman. That food looks easier To eat than draw! great Place tp paint boats!

I have some to post but must wait doe sun to photo.

hope we all catch a few sketches today!

Joe1, nice sketches. Love your associations.

Ai, I like your fishing boats and the seaside town. Thanks for posting the reference too. It helps me to see how a complex scene can be simplified.

Ink, water-soluble graphite and watercolor on Stillman & Birn Alpha

#4 - Breakfast (I have Muesli with frozen berries, apple and banana each morning)
#5 - Something sweet (banana)
#6 - Something crisp (apple)

SH5,4-6.png

Digital oil on Android Artrage

#7 - Seasonal flower (There aren't any flowers in bloom right now since it is winter where I am. This is what is still green. I drew this while waiting in a parking lot for an appointment.)

TTree_001_002 (2).jpg

Joe nice ring. i thought it looked Indian design. nice to have something extra special for that! Is this new wife?

Ai, have a really really solo vacation. They are few with a family and career woman. That food looks easier To eat than draw! great Place tp paint boats!

I have some to post but must wait doe sun to photo.

hope we all catch a few sketches today!
Robin - New? Nope. We celebrated our 55th Wedding Anniversary last week. She says she is leaning toward keeping me.

Last edited:
Joe1, nice sketches. Love your associations.

Ai, I like your fishing boats and the seaside town. Thanks for posting the reference too. It helps me to see how a complex scene can be simplified.

Ink, water-soluble graphite and watercolor on Stillman & Birn Alpha

#4 - Breakfast (I have Muesli with frozen berries, apple and banana each morning)
#5 - Something sweet (banana)
#6 - Something crisp (apple)

View attachment 15199

Digital oil on Android Artrage

#7 - Seasonal flower (There aren't any flowers in bloom right now since it is winter where I am. This is what is still green. I drew this while waiting in a parking lot for an appointment.)

View attachment 15200
Anne - A triple play on breakfast! Like the combo of water soluble graphite and watercolor. Nice form to composition too. Neat little digi.

Joe

Reactions: ams
Joe, Ahh, nice egg nog. Joanna is the only one that drinks egg nog with me and now it has too many calories so I just don't buy it anymore. I used to make "real" egg nog when we were in South America. That I really love with real whipped cream in it. I love the glass and your shading. Beautiful.

Ai, your breakfast looks yummy. Good job. I'm not an egg eater, so the smaller omelette part is fine! I like the café name, too. Super job on the gulls. Your symbolic sketch of HuaHin is beautiful. You captured it all with a minimum of lines.

joe1lt, I always like your action figures and Eeyore. Very nice lines and action.

Hi Robin!

Anne, I like your breakfast sketch. We usually share a banana. I bought some green and ripe the other day and the green ones are still hard as a rock. Never had that happen before. Weird. I love your apple, one of my favorite things to sketch. Love the little green tree/bush.

Happy Anniversary, Joe.

I sketched on the porch in a Canson Universal Sketchbook, 9 x 12 inches. This is about 2/3 of the page with a Sharpie pen. I always like it when I can eat my models.

#1 Breakfast

csshfl5breakfast.jpg

Joe, Ahh, nice egg nog. Joanna is the only one that drinks egg nog with me and now it has too many calories so I just don't buy it anymore. I used to make "real" egg nog when we were in South America. That I really love with real whipped cream in it. I love the glass and your shading. Beautiful.

Ai, your breakfast looks yummy. Good job. I'm not an egg eater, so the smaller omelette part is fine! I like the café name, too. Super job on the gulls. Your symbolic sketch of HuaHin is beautiful. You captured it all with a minimum of lines.

joe1lt, I always like your action figures and Eeyore. Very nice lines and action.

Hi Robin!

Anne, I like your breakfast sketch. We usually share a banana. I bought some green and ripe the other day and the green ones are still hard as a rock. Never had that happen before. Weird. I love your apple, one of my favorite things to sketch. Love the little green tree/bush.

Happy Anniversary, Joe.

I sketched on the porch in a Canson Universal Sketchbook, 9 x 12 inches. This is about 2/3 of the page with a Sharpie pen. I always like it when I can eat my models.

#1 Breakfast

View attachment 15203
Jo - Nice pen sketch. A ”new” sketchbook or an old one back in service? Sharon and I are both trying to decide if we like peanut butter and raisins. We both like peanut butter and chocolate as well as raisins and chocolate but combining peanut butter and raisins without the chocolate is hard to imagine.

Keep sketching
Joe

Jo - Nice pen sketch. A ”new” sketchbook or an old one back in service? Sharon and I are both trying to decide if we like peanut butter and raisins. We both like peanut butter and chocolate as well as raisins and chocolate but combining peanut butter and raisins without the chocolate is hard to imagine.

Keep sketching
Joe
Old unfinished sketchbook. I forgot to say there is cream cheese on there. That helps the raisins. Oh and some dried cranberries. I have smooth peanut butter and Gene has crunchy. We started this when I was eating gluten free to spice up rice cakes. I don't like flavored rice cakes so. We alternate with rice cakes and bagels now that I can eat wheat again. I sort of got addicted to rice cakes for the crunch.

Old unfinished sketchbook. I forgot to say there is cream cheese on there. That helps the raisins. Oh and some dried cranberries. I have smooth peanut butter and Gene has crunchy. We started this when I was eating gluten free to spice up rice cakes. I don't like flavored rice cakes so. We alternate with rice cakes and bagels now that I can eat wheat again. I sort of got addicted to rice cakes for the crunch.
Will have to experiment with that comb. 🤔

Jo : lovely breakfast... I have to try rice cake .

Anne: Thank you. Wonderful yummy healthy breakfast.

Joe, Joe1, Robin, all: Thank you for kind words,

Thanks, all. Ai, if you get plain rice cakes they have no taste, just supply the support and crunch for the rest!

I played in the watercolors in my watercolor sketchbook that is about 7 x 10 inches. Added a bit of Zig Millennium 05 for structure. Joanna brought the flowers today. A white one as well, may have to try that.

#2 seasonal flower
csshfl5seasonal.jpg

Thanks, all. Ai, if you get plain rice cakes they have no taste, just supply the support and crunch for the rest!

I played in the watercolors in my watercolor sketchbook that is about 7 x 10 inches. Added a bit of Zig Millennium 05 for structure. Joanna brought the flowers today. A white one as well, may have to try that.

#2 seasonal flower
View attachment 15219
Was expecting lots of mistletoe and poinsettia. Like all the shuttle color shifts . Pretty

Joe, here you go in pastel. This is on the new MiTeintes cheaper paper. You can see the grid and why it is cheaper. Ha. Sort of a plastic feel to it. This is the smooth side. Not nice. It won't take enough pastel to blend away the grid unless you smooth it out al the way and I don't blend that much. Anyway Pastel about 8 x 12 inches.
Second Seasonal flower

csshfl5seasonal2.jpg

Joe, here you go in pastel. This is on the new MiTeintes cheaper paper. You can see the grid and why it is cheaper. Ha. Sort of a plastic feel to it. This is the smooth side. Not nice. It won't take enough pastel to blend away the grid unless you smooth it out al the way and I don't blend that much. Anyway Pastel about 8 x 12 inches.
Second Seasonal flower

View attachment 15268
Beautiful! You handle light and shadow so well.
Did not know MiTeintes had a new paper out. I have not done much with pastels in long long time, but mostly used MiTeintes. Still have a couple of pads and a few big sheets. Hmm Hope it is a new cheaper line and they did not downgrade the product.

Back