Scavenger Hunt #5 Dec 12 - Dec 20

In between sorting the internet problem and cleaning up after the electrician had solved it I managed a bit of sketching time.

1, Beverage - glass mug of hot chocolate much needed after a cold outdoor sketching session .... BUT I had initially read that as sewage so the second sketch ended up as lunch :D Sewage....Stink....Muck Spreading ....Farm .....Cows ....Dairy ....Cheese

2, Cheese and crackers for lunch! Pen and graphite on 5 x 5 scrap of watercolour paper

beverage to lunch.jpg

3, Symbolic of my area - 3 of the standing stones at the Ring of Brodgar stone circle. Would have like to do more on it but got too cold. Charcoal pencil and graphite on A3 cartridge paper, about 30 minutes

Brodgar.jpg

4, Memory My old teddy who still lives on a shelf in ny bedroom of course Charcoal pencil and graphite on A4 cartridge paper about 45 minutes.
5, Scarf

Teddy.jpg

Last edited:
Sue: Thank you. Sorry for your Internet problem. Wonderful graphite and charcoal works. My fav. was the Teddy on the scarf. I have looked up your stone symbol of your local. I hope one day we make it to Scotland.

Sue, thanks, sorry for the network problems, beautiful drawings, super teddy bear. , Joan wonderful works, fantastic the one with the trees. happy that the exhibition went well, I really like the gestures, the figures you drew ..

Ai, the 3 works on different media are beautiful.

Ntl, I really like the hat design.
Eyepaint, beautiful works, all of them.
Ams, very beautiful all the works, keys, trowel

2 Jewelry,memory, I think it was made not many years ago, for some railway anniversary, it's a clock. actually not precious material, but very beautiful pocket watches, I wanted to open it, to draw it open and with hands, but I could not, it seems stuck and probably still has a battery inside that had to be removed for some time
.I will see

2021-12-19 16-23_pagina_2.jpg
2021-12-19 16-23_pagina_3.jpg
2021-12-19 16-23_pagina_1.jpg

Ai, nice croissants.

ntl, nice hat. I hope it kept your head nice and warm. I have made these for a local cancer center in the past.

Jo, you did comment on Joan's sketches and mine as well only you posted them to the Scavenger Hunt #4 thread instead of the #5 thread. :)
Sounds like me. Sorry. Made me laugh.

Last edited:
Well, lets see if I can comment in the right place!

EP, you would have finger cymbals! Love your sketch with related items. I think they call a chef's hat a toque as well. We do say beanie. Cute bag for the cymbals. I haven crocheted in years, would probably be good to loosen up my fingers!

Joe, have you red the Tony Hillerman books about the Navajo police? I love those stories and I can see every inch of New Mexico in them. His daughter, Anne Hillerman, has continued the series but she doesn't have the "heart" of the Navajos in her work or is too modern in thought. Still listening/reading though. Her latest takes place in Socorro, Magdalena and the VLA (Very Large Array telescopes), our home stomping grounds.

ams, the peppers are great. I agree with Ai on the vintage feel of the red one.

Sue, you are funny in your association! Love the mug, thanks. Cheese and crackers sounds good, I would add a glass of wine. The Ring of Brodgar sounds interesting, will go check it out. Teddy bear is sweet on the scarf. We have awful internet being out in the boonies. High speed is about 10 miles away. :-(

joe1lt, the pocket watch is lovely and great sketches. My dad always carried a pocket watch. Nice memories.

EP, nice collection of sketches. Thanks for your comments on mine.

I'm from the Garden State so #5-13 is of a pepper that grows in a garden.

There are two versions. The first is just water-soluble graphite, the second adds some color. I'm not sure the color made it better, I think I like the first one better. Peppers are so much fun to do with all of their bumps and dips.

View attachment 15412

View attachment 15413
The shading without the color has more gradations but like the color one as well.
Keep sketching
Joe

Last edited:
Reactions: ams
Well, lets see if I can comment in the right place!

EP, you would have finger cymbals! Love your sketch with related items. I think they call a chef's hat a toque as well. We do say beanie. Cute bag for the cymbals. I haven crocheted in years, would probably be good to loosen up my fingers!

Joe, have you red the Tony Hillerman books about the Navajo police? I love those stories and I can see every inch of New Mexico in them. His daughter, Anne Hillerman, has continued the series but she doesn't have the "heart" of the Navajos in her work or is too modern in thought. Still listening/reading though. Her latest takes place in Socorro, Magdalena and the VLA (Very Large Array telescopes), our home stomping grounds.

ams, the peppers are great. I agree with Ai on the vintage feel of the red one.

Sue, you are funny in your association! Love the mug, thanks. Cheese and crackers sounds good, I would add a glass of wine. The Ring of Brodgar sounds interesting, will go check it out. Teddy bear is sweet on the scarf. We have awful internet being out in the boonies. High speed is about 10 miles away. :-(

joe1lt, the pocket watch is lovely and great sketches. My dad always carried a pocket watch. Nice memories.
I have read most of Tomy Hillerman’s books. Never read any by his daughter.
Keep sketching
Joe

Last edited:
In between sorting the internet problem and cleaning up after the electrician had solved it I managed a bit of sketching time.

1, Beverage - glass mug of hot chocolate much needed after a cold outdoor sketching session .... BUT I had initially read that as sewage so the second sketch ended up as lunch :D Sewage....Stink....Muck Spreading ....Farm .....Cows ....Dairy ....Cheese

2, Cheese and crackers for lunch! Pen and graphite on 5 x 5 scrap of watercolour paper

View attachment 15420

3, Symbolic of my area - 3 of the standing stones at the Ring of Brodgar stone circle. Would have like to do more on it but got too cold. Charcoal pencil and graphite on A3 cartridge paper, about 30 minutes

View attachment 15421

4, Memory My old teddy who still lives on a shelf in ny bedroom of course Charcoal pencil and graphite on A4 cartridge paper about 45 minutes.
5, Scarf

View attachment 15422
Sorry to hear about your internet problems. Your association is fun. am Trying to decide if the stones or teddy is my favorite. Nicely done!

2 Jewelry,memory, I think it was made not many years ago, for some railway anniversary, it's a clock. actually not precious material, but very beautiful pocket watches, I wanted to open it, to draw it open and with hands, but I could not, it seems stuck and probably still has a battery inside that had to be removed for some time
.I will see

View attachment 15438View attachment 15439View attachment 15440
The whole series of Watch sketches are fun and interestin, but now you have to let us know when you get it open. 😁

Keep sketching
Joe

2C80A513-D730-44BC-AB8A-4B63BC5850CA.jpeg
Sour,vinegar

0C130522-33B6-49D1-AAFC-24530FF9A67A.jpeg
CAB21620-AD61-4193-887C-2CBBE92D5FA8.jpeg
salty pistacios

sweet raisins, breakast plate and fork, lunch dirty dish’s in sink...sorry kept eating and then remembered to draw. These are in a book of miscellaneous papers I bound a few years ago

#3 - seasonal flower substituted lily in bouquet Multiple grads of graphite in 3.5x5.5 inch sketchbook. Worked in in segments over the day so not sure of time at all.

A4E3EE42-B00F-4C30-917E-81295D47D699.jpeg

keep sketching
Joe

Thank you everyone for your comments.

jo fl & EP The long music instrument is a digerido. It is an inexpensive plastic but plays well version of an Australian Aboriginal instrument. There are some excellent digerido artists on Utube. When I play (not as often as I would like) the surrounding animals get still and quiet. to me it is very calming. Thanks for asking

ams - lovely piano and trowel. You must have lively hands for fun stuff. enjoy your pepp studies

Joan - congrats on your show. Ahh, there is no feeling like selling a piece of your art. The tree farm is lively but I really like the boat piece because it seems so harmonious and simple. I love the subtitle shading a lot too.

ntl- I adore the hat. It feels like such a peaceful composition....I feel free to just feel the textures and some how a warm fuzzie is mingled in with the threatening cold

ai - wow, love that pestle Fude Touch calli pen Croissant I like to try different pens and stuff croissants included. The chocolate one was tricksie...I love to use bleeding inks though at times is unpredictable...glad you posted it nevertheless because it is a beautiful go.

ep - Hi!! I’ve been hoping to see your work. And what a lovely abstract-like composition. I always like how you layer objects and fill the page with line and space evenly open. This one I feel so free to just run my eye over and enjoy the shapes, colors and textures. I hope you enjoyed making it as much!,

JofFl - thanks again for hosting ...love the watch studies. You have gotten freeer with ink I see. I am glad for you were quite timid....thank for your kind comments and your thoughtful sketches are restful and warm.

Ai, Joe1, Jo, Robin, thanks for your comments.

Sue, what a funny story about sewage vs. beverage. Nice work on the beverage, lunch cheese and crackers, standing stones (love the texture, especially the one on the left), teddy on the scarf. Glad your internet is working again.

Robin, I like your combo of the raisins, pistashios etc. Good repurposing of the paper!

Joe f, love your flower. I like graphite when it's done as well as this is. Thanks for your comments on my pepper. I think all of the gradations in value are what I like about the first one and what I like about your flower.

Joe1, love your antique watch and jewelry. Hope you manage to get the watch open and the battery hasn't done any damage.

Oh, I see now that a Joe1 drew the watches. Sorry for the mix up. Good job Joe...like the train abstract rush job Alot

Sue..cool sketches. Interesting rock formation...I will google it but you did great job on peaking my curiosity. Your teddy looks like he is near to coming alive!!

Joe Fl- great lily. You and Ai are good reminder of what a background can add. Thanks

Jo, thanks for the new comments since the others are in the other scavenger hunt. lol

EP, looks like you're ready to head out into the cold and dance and play music. lol

Joe, thanks for your comment. Those were all quick 1 and 2 minute poses. I liked getting them down on the same page. Glad to hear that your friends sparked such an interest in the Native American history and artifacts. I know you've sketched many of them.

Anne, nice peppers...and yes the bumps and dips on them are fun to sketch.

Sue, glad you have your internet back. That can be so frustrating. Thanks for the sweet comment.

5 - sweet - watercolors and ink (I should NEVER buy a BAG of Lindt chocolates. It doesn't matter if I have one to taste or a bag...I can and will eat the whole thing. lol )
6 - sour - watercolors and ink
tempImagelUqBe5.png
IMG_9213.jpeg

Jo, thanks for the new comments since the others are in the other scavenger hunt. lol

EP, looks like you're ready to head out into the cold and dance and play music. lol

Joe, thanks for your comment. Those were all quick 1 and 2 minute poses. I liked getting them down on the same page. Glad to hear that your friends sparked such an interest in the Native American history and artifacts. I know you've sketched many of them.

Anne, nice peppers...and yes the bumps and dips on them are fun to sketch.

Sue, glad you have your internet back. That can be so frustrating. Thanks for the sweet comment.

5 - sweet - watercolors and ink (I should NEVER buy a BAG of Lindt chocolates. It doesn't matter if I have one to taste or a bag...I can and will eat the whole thing. lol )
6 - sour - watercolors and inkView attachment 15460View attachment 15461
Ohh I get to eat all the Lindt truffles wrapped in gold! Sharon does not like white chocolate 😎. Knew them at first glimpse. Nice work on Vinegar. Text is such a challenge. You did it well.

Keep sketching
Joe

Oh, I see now that a Joe1 drew the watches. Sorry for the mix up. Good job Joe...like the train abstract rush job Alot

Sue..cool sketches. Interesting rock formation...I will google it but you did great job on peaking my curiosity. Your teddy looks like he is near to coming alive!!

Joe Fl- great lily. You and Ai are good reminder of what a background can add. Thanks
Easy mix up as we have now jo, Joe1 and me. You might remember I was often called Jim in old Hunts plus being confused with either of the others is a nice compliment!

Joe aka Jim aka Fletch. ( Will leave out names my wife uses.🤭)

The new Scavenger Hunt from Life is up, feel free to sketch here for another day. Especially if you had something in mind.
https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-6-dec-20-28.2971/

RobinSusan, what a clever sketchbook. I like your choices. I always love eating the models. Like the dishes in the sink!! Fun that you play the digerido.

Joe, ahhhhh, the lily is beautiful. I like the way you did the center. Happy you read Hillerman. You know a lot about my home state of New Mexico that way. :) Our names are a bit confusing with Joan thrown into the mix, too. There was a Jim in the southwest bunch and I would see that when I would see your jmfletch. Fun....

Joan, the candies make my mouth water. I had a little Hershey's but not the same. Sigh.. Well drawn. The vinegar bottle is quite pretty.

I may get another sketch done. If not see you on #6.

Back