beverage
symbol of area
music
F5A91812-907A-458C-AC8B-6F80AEEC01C1.jpeg
F5A91812-907A-458C-AC8B-6F80AEEC01C1.jpeg
0421F3C2-99D4-4004-81C7-0E006A4859AF.jpeg
98315739-48D0-4574-8AC6-A67DDF4C678A.jpeg

Last edited:
Got the photos corrected but can’t delete the post that says they are upside down....is there a way to delete a post?.

Jo, what a beautiful poinsettias. Wonderful depth of color on the red one. Nice work on the white pastel too. It's disappointing when a new paper doesn't work out. One thing you can do is use a thread grid next time and that should prevent the grid lines showing through the painting. I explained how I use a threaded grid here. https://creativespark.art/threads/november-2021-animal-wildlife-challenge.2321/page-3#post-39646

Robin, nice images. Good idea for the state. I'm glad you were able to get them right side up. Sometimes it helps to bring them into an image software app and resave them oriented correctly, even if they look right.

Mine are pen & ink with water-soluble graphite wash on Stillman & Birn Alpha 4"x6" sketchbook. I'm supposed to get my new sketchbook today that is wirebound and a little larger so it should be much nicer to work in.

SH 5-8 Scarf
SH 5-8.png

SH 5-9 Memory (Scissors)
These scissors belonged to my grandmother. She taught me how to knit and when she passed I got these scissors, her knitting needles and instruction books. They bring back wonderful memories.
SH 5-9.png

SH 5-10 Hobby (Hairpin lace loom, used in crochet)
SH 5-10.png

Beautiful! You handle light and shadow so well.
Did not know MiTeintes had a new paper out. I have not done much with pastels in long long time, but mostly used MiTeintes. Still have a couple of pads and a few big sheets. Hmm Hope it is a new cheaper line and they did not downgrade the product.
They were selling both kinds. I bought a few sheets to try since it was cheaper. I will stay with the old.

Jo, what a beautiful poinsettias. Wonderful depth of color on the red one. Nice work on the white pastel too. It's disappointing when a new paper doesn't work out. One thing you can do is use a thread grid next time and that should prevent the grid lines showing through the painting. I explained how I use a threaded grid here. https://creativespark.art/threads/november-2021-animal-wildlife-challenge.2321/page-3#post-39646

https://creativespark.art/threads/november-2021-animal-wildlife-challenge.2321/page-3#post-39646
ams, thanks. I had fun on these, both media. The grid is the paper surface. I draw freehand from life. I didn’t care for that look. Will use these few sheets for sketching.
I love your items. Wonderful memories of your grandmother. Fun tools. Super shading.

Last edited:
Hobby -hebrew
pet related
garden
seasonal flower-candlein plastic pineneedle circle
jewelery
beverage
symbol of area
musicView attachment 15281View attachment 15281View attachment 15282View attachment 15283
Nice series of pen sketches. Curious about the flute. Looks fascinoting. Where is it from? How is it played?
Seeing all the colors on your yoga mat made me remember a lot of your past drawings in Hunts. Mostly they were done in ink but it seemed like you had to have the world‘s largest collection of inks. 😁 Also you often drew in colors that were not natural to the subject but it looked great because you nailed all the values.

Joe

Last edited:

Robin, nice images. Good idea for the state. I'm glad you were able to get them right side up. Sometimes it helps to bring them into an image software app and resave them oriented correctly, even if they look right.

Mine are pen & ink with water-soluble graphite wash on Stillman & Birn Alpha 4"x6" sketchbook. I'm supposed to get my new sketchbook today that is wirebound and a little larger so it should be much nicer to work in.

SH 5-8 Scarf
View attachment 15291
SH 5-9 Memory (Scissors)
These scissors belonged to my grandmother. She taught me how to knit and when she passed I got these scissors, her knitting needles and instruction books. They bring back wonderful memories.
View attachment 15292
SH 5-10 Hobby (Hairpin lace loom, used in crochet)
T
Love your memory story. Fun how common belongings can hold so many memories. The soft shading with water soluble graphite is really appealing.

Joe

On the porch in a good size sketchbook with a Sharpie pen and added colored pencil as Gene said the chips look like the poinsettia leaves. Ha. Not sure the color helped.
Number 3, crisp - Buc-ee's Fresh chips sold in open paper bag. They know you will eat them all...... They are sliced long way on the potatoes.

csshflcrisp-bw.jpg
csshfl5crisp.jpg

Robin, nice hat and your very special yoga bag. That looks inspirational!

Thanks Jo and Jim. I am having a lot of fun shading with the water-soluble graphite.

Jo, nice work on the bag and chips. I especially like how you did the paper bag. I think I liked it just as well with only the ink.

On the porch in a good size sketchbook with a Sharpie pen and added colored pencil as Gene said the chips look like the poinsettia leaves. Ha. Not sure the color helped.
Number 3, crisp - Buc-ee's Fresh chips sold in open paper bag. They know you will eat them all...... They are sliced long way on the potatoes.

View attachment 15334View attachment 15335
Nice pen work…and coloring. Like the texture on both.

Joe

I got my new sketch book so of course I had to try it out. ;)

Ink with water-soluble graphite wash of Stillman & Birn Alpha.

#11 Music
Piano keys. This turned out to be trickier than I expected. Getting the cracks and the black keys correct was where I found the challenge. I do enjoy the water-soluble graphite though. It's great for quick sketches when you like to play with the values the way I do.
#12 Gardening (trowel)

Ams..perky ring, te cap looks nice and soft, great detail on the gloves Art for breakfast! EXTRA healthy start for the day, fine tool sketches
JoeFl..admiration glass of nog got the nog coating i knew what it was. your Figurine studies always give me a hankering for a drawing spell. : >)
Ai..yummy frying pan food, wowzer!! Love te beverage the background rocks it. You are brave to paint in the restaurant...
JoC..that looks like a strong culpa something to go with chewing those lumps. Right poinsettias nailed the plant body language of them. Good bag and chips. ..can feel the paper.

Reactions: ams
Sorry to have disappeared for a few days. I had my art show last weekend and am still trying to deal with bringing all the show stuff back home. You know how when you take something out of a space all of a sudden that space closes up? Well, that happened and I still have to get it all back in storage. The show did go well. I sold a few pieces. Yay!! Then I started my Christmas cards and still had some shopping to do. I just got bogged down. Anyway, I am back and hopefully ready.

Joe, thanks for the new list. Great job on your wedding ring...love the design. You have quite a collection of NA objects...just curious is it part of your heritage? I should have asked you that years ago. lol

Ai, I love all the sketches from your trip. Hope you had a great time.

Anne, nice sketches of the fruit and muesli...very illustrative. The shading of the folds on the hanging scarf is great. You nailed the sketch of the piano keys!!!

Jo, I really like the red and the white poinsettias...good job on both. I finally watered mine today...hope I didn't wait too long. I'd better sketch it quickly. lol I think I can smell those chips over here.

Robin, nice shading on your sketches. Like Joe, I will always remember your colorful ink sketches over at WC. Jun that you were able to sketch the seal of the state of NC. Nice pattern on that yoga mat bag...it really stands out!

My sketch group had a live model the other night. She is a dancer and did a lot of flamenco poses.
1 - dance related - pencil
1216 joanne 2.jpeg

Back