November 2021 Monthly Challenge

Thanks for the kind comments. I have never seen a real persimmon so it was tricky. It was a nice subject to work with though. Sometimes you just have to "Do it" and you may surprise yourself. Thanks again! 😊

Kay, your watercolor of the persimmons pic is fantastic.
Cindy, your crop works well. Nice details.

Here is my last experiment for this month.
The persimmons on Yupo. Never painted on yupo before and I am not sure if I will go further there.
It was a real fight to make the color stick, some spots refused to take any color at all, especially at the lower right corner.
If someone with yupo experience has some tips for me, I would like to hear them.

DSC01299_2_pge.jpg

Esther, that is beautiful! I just had to comment on it. I have never used Yupo, but it looks as if you know what you're doing. The transparent shadows are especially well done.

Esther - Beautiful work. I have heard YUPO can be difficult to work with but I have never tried.

Esther, great job on the yupo paper! My first attempt looked quite different from yours - chuckle. You have great control over the paint on the yupo at the same time you are still allowing the free flow. This is great and the persimon still-life is suited perfectly for it. I especially like the lower right corner of your painting...
What I find especially difficult about the yupo-paper is that the painting looks so different after the color is dried. I love the wet paint on the yupo, but I am sometimes disappointed when it is dry....
Cheers
Tanja

LOVE the fluid or fluidity of the medium on Yupo, Esther! I’ve used the synthetic paper for years. Number one tip: Don’t try to control it. Let wc do its thing, which you have wisely done. Just stunning still life results with this one. Each piece done on Yupo will be a surprise.

Lovely fresh, light work Esther. I really like how you've dealt with the patterned fabric, and the way it sort of breaks up and fades out at the edges. I tried Yupo years ago but I couldn't get on with it at all. My whole painting just kept sliding off the surface (like a fried egg off a non-stick pan!)

Here's my attempt at the persimmons (watercolours + watercolour pencil). I'm disappointed with it, but giving myself a pat on the back for even attempting it. It's the sort of ref pic I'd normally avoid (as too difficult due to lots of detail and different colours)

Watermedia Nov 21 Sedond choice373.jpg

Your still life is great, Claudia, excellent velvety texture of the surfaces and awesome colors. Why would you be disappointed by it? It's wondeful!
Cheers Tanja

Thank you for your comments Joy, Cindy, Tanja, Kay and Claudia.

Claudia, yes the paint is sliding of the yupo easily, I experienced the same but kept trying.
I did not see a big color shift during the drying, but the drying times were extremely long. (OK not for an oil painter, but for a watercolor)

Kay, do you wipe the yupo with alcohol or something like that before you paint on it? Maybe the color would stick better then.
But I haven't tried it yet.

Claudia, your persimmons look beautiful, the color of the fabric is a bit dull, but that makes the persimmons stand out better.
The dull look could be a result of the brand you use. When I want colors to get really bold I take sometimes QOR colors, they can be mixed with any other watercolors but their binder is more transparent, so less color shift.

I like how you did the inner part of the flower, but if it was mine I would advance the shadows at the leaves and petals to get a better range of values.

Wow Claudia, yours is very nice and you should be proud.

I don’t put anything on Yupo before painting it.

Deb, love how you focused on the one sunflower editing out all the rest. Very effective design.

Thanks Cindy, Tanja, Esther and Kay.

Deborah, I like your bold choice of crop, it gives an almost abstract feel while still being recognizable as a sunflower.

Claudia, your persimmons look beautiful, the color of the fabric is a bit dull, but that makes the persimmons stand out better.
The dull look could be a result of the brand you use. When I want colors to get really bold I take sometimes QOR colors, they can be mixed with any other watercolors but their binder is more transparent, so less color shift.
The dullness of the fabric was deliberate. I wanted it to look old and sun-faded, to make the fresh bright fruits stand out in contrast. (I was worried the whole thing would look like a colourful flat abstract otherwise). It was obviously not a very successful idea if it just looks like I'm using cheap pigments!!! 😄 Haha!

Claudia, LOL my comment about the dull colors of the fabric was only a guess about what was disturbing you and it was the only thing I could imagine. I like the painting as it is. But obviously I was wrong and the cause of your disappointment is something else. 🤣

A tip to work on Yupo: Make sure your hands are very clean and try not to touch its surface with your fingers at all. Skin constantly produces oil which once deposited onto the surface is impossible to get off there.

Wow, these paintings are so wonderful. I only use watercolor on sketches so these are impressive. Even on Yupo, I hear that is hard. Sorry not to comment on each painting. I'm enjoying seeing all the work. The portraits are great.

Thank you Kay for the tip, I think that was the problem with the first yupo painting. Next time I will try not to touch it.

Back