DECEMBER 2022 WATERMEDIA CHALLENGE

Another effort, albeit a not very good one. These were done in my Strathmore Visual journal, 140CP, not good paper. I am rubbish at painting flowers, especially with yellows. My intent was to have the dark BG in the watercolor piece, so the flowers would stand out, but that did not seem to work that well. At least I am trying different subject matter. The first is ink/watercolor, and the second is watercolor. Both are on the same page of the journal, so I sort of worked on them together. A5 size each.

AC15A6F1-873E-45B3-BFDA-1839D657E44E_1_201_a.jpeg

4517D19A-ECD7-4C4E-A8B7-0A81EF3618FF_1_201_a.jpeg

Joy, they came out quite nice. I'm not which I like better, they are both lovely.

I like the background of the second one. Nice texture to make it interesting.

Anne, CaliAnn - Thanks for your encouragement! The cheap paper is not helping matters. Using my good Arches for messing about isn't ideal, but I am finding even highly rated sketchbooks are a poor working surface for one who uses an abundance of water. Ideally, I wanted to find a reasonably priced paper for "practice", with which I could experiment freely.

Love both your floral versions of the yellow wildflowers.
Again, it takes constant practice. The fewer strokes you put down the more fresh the art will be/look. I'm liking the Grumbacher 140 lb cold press tablets available at Walmart for $6-7.

Kay, thanks for the info. I did notice these tablets at Wally World and wondered about the quality. The reviews on Amazon were mostly positive, but the negatives highlighted the problems I encountered. I found the cellulose paper quite difficult to use. The pain goes on splotchy, one cannot glaze, and the sizing is poor. The Canson XL watercolor paper 140CP and Strathmore Visual Journal with the same weight both "behaved" the same. Using too much water and over working is still a problem for me. I am sure that you (and many of the other talents here) could paint on a paper bag and it would look great!

Lovely work, Joy! I feel with you as I had similar problems. That's when i decided to turn to working the dry way with little water as possible. Even then i grab my wc pencils for touch ups

you all did some spectacular work.
Some time ago I ordered a sepia watercolor pencil. but it didn't reach me, it got lost.
or water color set but now that would be cumbersome to me, hard to use. and that I should understand which album sheets would be fine and I can still use them, in some of my sheets and books I had noticed mites? , perhaps more suitable description , more likely almost invisible paper bugs ..
since then i've been using table e for paper, sheets only, sketchbook i'm more sure of,

I had a question for a long time, then I didn't ask it, which I think is more correct no as an answer, if they go digital watercolors for wawtermedia challenge.
but i think it would be different, , more suitable for all media art event or digital

Christel - Thanks for your advice and input. Your work is always stellar, and the time you and other members take to help others is greatly appreciated.

thanks,Thanks for the reference, then I tried this, it doesn't apply here but I wanted to ask, Do the watercolor-like coloring work now it's better not to color it, just leave the outline and lines drawing, the drawing was already blue.

467AE0A0-E95B-42BE-9D2C-F5AC54CAF8E1.jpeg

The first drawing was the small one
3219EC42-0D67-4E74-95C9-C2A14C5BD072.jpeg

Joy- Both your flower paintings are lovely. Love the background on the second one. It really makes the flowers pop.
Joe- Both your cats are wonderful. I like the first one the best. The expression is great.

Thanks to everyone who participated. Hope everyone enjoyed it. Loved seeing all you works. It brought me joy.

Deborah, immediately recognizable as a peacock feather! Very nice.

Back