Scavenger Hunt From Life #8: Jan 5 - Jan 13

Joe , wow on your tissue box. Good job to get back to sketching.

Ai, nice sketching and to be out. Love the photos. Applause. I would love to try the sticky bun and mocha. Looks so good. My dad liked sardines but I wouldn’t like them. Ha.

Triss, nice to “see” you. Thanks.

Catching up on comments…

Ai - rocks and sharpener looked fun to draw. Love the funky shaped bottle and highlights in brush handle.Love the paper mache bear. Great job capturing the texture. Continuous line cups look like you were having fun. Sketch and story of Mona café is nice but I keep looking at that toddler on the motorbike and worrying. The sweet treat looks yummy. Clever idea for the coconut!

Jo - Nice landscape of the pond. Was hoping for a pastel when I saw landscape. Hmm, I have a guitar that sits unused in a very similar position. Nice line work on the chips, dip and cereal. Clever idea on the clip. Props to Gene. Nice work on the digital. Excellent metal texture!

Vivien - Love the cherries. Nice work. The lavender path is worth seeing twice. Pretty. Thanks for the reference photo! Love your garden!

Joe1 - Nice work on all those ellipses on the tiny gold jars. Nice sketches on the nativity scene items.

Anne - Excellent metal faucet, soft tissue, leathery looking gloves and can almost feel the stiff edges on the fan. So many textures done so well, great work. Have fun experimenting with the artgraf. Nice work on the pot and tape dispenser.

Joan - The people and fence are well done but what really got me was how you did the surf. The snow photo is pretty. Best way to see snow. Snowscape and parking lot both look cold. Clever way to work outside in the cold.

Sue - Your soup mug made me smile. I guess we all do something like that. I use a mug collection for brushes and have an assortment of mugs, jars and old containers for pencils. I use erasers a lot more, probably as much as I do the pencil. Nice work.

keep sketching
Joe

Jo and Joe ... Thanks so much.

Joe: Yes, people here are way too careless, esp., with safety. The mother keeps hushing with her kids to hang on tight while her Auntie just got off the motorbike to get some coffee.

Thanks everyone for the comments. My apologies for not commenting in full but struggling a wee bit with my eyes so I'm trying to limit the time I spend looking at a screen until they settle down again.

A very quick one here, small sketchbook using just a 2B pencil, maybe less than 10 minutes for the two,

4, related to garden - pots of Spring bulbs snoozing in a corner of the patio awaiting warmer times. Plus a repeat using continuous line - although I cheated and did a second line afterwards to put in the labels

SH8 4.jpg

SH 8 5 (2).jpg

Working in some watercolor inspired by Ai and Joan.....no where close to their level but having fun
will comment tommorrow

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Joe, nice box of tissues. Aren't they fun to draw. I love all of the folds and shadows.

Ai, I like your "Moka Pot" sketch. How nice that the vendor enjoyed it too. I like your pot. I like your one stroke pot sketches too. You are getting better at the one stroke sketching. Good food sketches too.

Sue, sorry your eyes are giving you problems. I'm glad you were able to get a quick sketch in anyway.

Robin delightful sketches. I like your basket with holes your continuous line challenges. Good job! Your little colorful sketches are very nice.

I did a few more. Ink and watersoluble graphite.

#7 Very Useful
#8 Ceramic
#9 Something used to attch things

SH8-7,8,9.png

Here are my sketches, directly in ink, with some marker and gel pen. 8x5" toned paper. I sketched a scene and the more I work on it the more items from the list that it fits - yahoo!

1. A tree - several, actually
2. Frozen Water - as snow
3. A skyscape - behind the roofline
4. People - one person - there were three but they walked too quickly
5. Related to a garden - there are Xmas lights on those bushes in the garden that the neighbour is removing after I sketched.
6. Something with a handle - car door
7. Made of fabric - jacket on person
8. Made of metal - eaves troughs on the houses
9. Made of plastic - tail light on the car
10. Made of wood - tree trunk

hunt008.jpg

Cheers,

Sue - Spring bulbs waiting warmer weather? Aren’t you in summer? Like the nouveau look of the continuous line sketch.

Robin - the continuous line clarinet is super. Ditto the gloves and the bunny in a cup. Nice watercolors especially the travel art bag.

Anne - Nice shading on spoon, mug and stick pin.

EP - You squeezed a lot into that landscape! Nice!

#2 water - water brush. Several grades of graphite and a red color pencil. Added the color pencil after as the multiple shades of gray were not selling it. About 25 minutes in my pocket sketchbook.

309C631C-0BFA-4D96-B260-AD451E307442.jpeg

Keep sketching
Joe

Ai - mmm water bottle. I've seen a pencil sharpener similar to that one. Yay pine cone! Thanks for the photo of the bottle - I haven't seen something shaped like that before. Such a colourful bear! In the ink-only version (before you coloured him in) he has a worried expression. I love, love, love the colours in your part of the world - this time with a sandpaper vine. Look at all those lovely ceramic mugs!
Jo - great scene of the lakeshore. Oh shame that your uke hangs on the easel, unopened :( If you ever cross the border, maybe I could give your uke a home? :) Great collection of snack food including the repurposed clip (great idea! But they always remove the hangers when we buy items ... any suggestions?) Yahoo pointsetta and sketching while watching TV. When I knit and watch a show I made many mistakes ... that may not happen if I was to wise up and sketch like you do!
Vivien - yay cherries! Yahoo wc sketchbooks! Yay lavender path!
joe1lt - yay bottles with rocks! Yay figurines!
Anne - ooh look at that shiny faucet! Great textures in the kleenex and the gloves. I think I've used a metal measuring cup like you drew. I know I've used tape from such a dispenser. I feel like that "Mystery" mug has a story you could share?
Joan - yay people out walking! Oh yay the snow on the trees! If only the snow didn't fall on the roads and sidewalks and driveways and stayed on trees, lawns, ski hills.... Love your snow scenes. Funny you sitting in front of your own home in your mobile studio lol
Sue - great job on the handle-less mug holding the coloured pencils. Yay continuous line!
RobinSusan - love the little colourful bunny in the mug/tea cup (sugar dish?).
Joe - yay box! Thank you. Yay waterbrush!

Joe, super lines on your box of tissues. Hope you can kickstart that habit!

Triss, thanks. It has either been blustery and cold, or cold and dreary for a while. It is exciting when the sun finally comes out.

Ai, your continuous line sketches are getting good...not far from the regular sketches. Nice illustrations on the bag, box, and can. Your sketch of the Thai sweet looks better than real life. Great idea of how to get the white coconut shavings.

10 - in a bag - watercolors
IMG_9357.jpeg
IMG_9360.jpeg

11 - in a box - sketch & wash pencil

12 - iused to attach things - ink (continuous line)

IMG_9360.jpeg

Joe, nice job on the water brush. I so rarely use my waterbrushes...can't seem to get dark enough colors.

EP, thanks. I guess it is pretty funny that I was sitting outside my own home in my mobile studio. lol

15 - in a can - ink (sorry about the ink bleeding thru from the other side)
IMG_9362.jpeg

Thanks everyone for the comments on my sketches.

EP, you really packed a lot of items in one painting. Wow, good job!

Joe, nice water pen.

Joan, looks like you raided your cupboard for this hunt. Good continuous line drawing. Nice watercolor sketches too.

Anne - ooh look at that shiny faucet! Great textures in the kleenex and the gloves. I think I've used a metal measuring cup like you drew. I know I've used tape from such a dispenser. I feel like that "Mystery" mug has a story you could share?
EP, the mystery mug was a giveaway many years ago when we made a donation to PBS (Public Broadcasting System, a TV network supported by donation in the US). At that time, they had a series called Mystery that ran a variety of mystery series. One that we still love to watch was Poirot.

Thanks all for your kind comments on my sketches.

Robin: Wowza on all funky fun dancing lines and colors... Love your clarinet and all wc stuffs... Your wc pieces have the "folk art" comfy feel to it.

EP: Fun and cool to get that maga scene down. Glad to see your cool sketches.

Jo: Nice thinking of the water brush... nice result.

Anne: Love the spoon and cup and pin. I do not shade well when it comes to spoon.

Joan: Lovely garden sketch, and bag. The fish on the can is so cute. Great depict of pill box.

Sue: Glad you get to join in those 3 containers... Hope your eyes get better soon... don't worry of commenting... we love to see your sketches.

thank you all for the nice words, i like the new additions from everyone, very nice drawings and also some funny subjects

Went out biking my trike around my neighborhood and stop and got these 3 types of tree down my sketchbook

#6b -- Trees : 3 kinds... teak(they have giant leaves)+ banana + a type of palm ... Note -- my tree sketches were not drawn to scale in my sketchbook... as this real teak tree is 3 times the height of the real banana tree... done with 2B pencil

h8_trees.jpg

Joan - Lindt truffles? Mmmmm. Oh I specialize in wonky glad to see you join in. Do you really use lasagna to attach things? Thanks for kind words.

Ai - love the graphite trees! You do not work in graphite often.

EP & Anne - thanks for encouraging words.

Joe

Thanks, everyone, for your comments on my sketches. Somehow I put the sketch of the lasagna twice instead of my sketch of the clip.

tempImagejndOJ2.png

Anne, I just read your story about the Mystery mug. Fun way to remember the show.

Joe 1, hope to see some sketches from you.

Ai, great assortment of trees! Nice to have such a variety in your neighborhood.

Joe, LOL maybe lasagna should be used to attach things.

Back