Scavenger Hunt From Life #8: Jan 5 - Jan 13

Joan T

Scavenger Hunt #8 – Jan 5 – Jan 13

Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts from Life.
The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.

If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:
https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/

Here are the rules for the Hunt:
*All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the list, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
*Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
*Have fun!
*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required.

Scavenger Hunt #8 Jan 5 – Jan 13

A tree
Water
Rocks or boulders
A skyscape
People
Related to sports
Related to music
Related to a garden
Related to health
Related to entertainment
Keeps you warm
Keeps you cool
Something in a box
Something in a bag
Something in a can
Something with holes
Something with a handle
Something sticky
Something slippery
Something used to attach things
Made of fabric
Made of metal
Made of plastic
Made of wood
Made of ceramic or clay
Very useful

Challenge – Do several items as continuous line sketches.

thanks for the new list Joan!
oooh -- never saw the word "skyscape" before, that's awesome!

Joan, thanks for the list ... I ditto Ned of the Skyscape... I just saw a good one today... but did not record it ... may be tomorrow...

Thanks for the new list. We’ve had clear skies or fog. Maybe the weekend, we have some cooler weather again.

These were done in A5 Thai sketchbook... paper was too thin for wc ... but I put in some light wash anyway...

#1 water -- water bottle, done with ink and wc wash
#2 rocks -- done with ink and wc wash
#3 with holes -- sharpener, done with pencil

h8_water.jpg

h8_rocks-withHole.jpg

Oh, Ai. Nice work to get us started. Love the rocks and sharpener. Hard perspective on the sharpener.

Ai, great start. I like your choice for "holes" and doing a pinecone for the tree.

Joan - thanks for the new list. We are still on our Summer holidays here in NZ, but most of the family away home, so Im ready to begin sketching.

Ai - Great sketches and I like the Pine-cone for Part of a Tree.

Ai, what a fun plastic bottle. Clever find on the wood handle on the brush and pine cone for part of a tree. I might copy that idea. We have oodles of pine cones ya know. I'm smiling.

Hi everyone else. An absolutely gorgeous day here, about 75 so I went down by the pond with the watercolors while Gene went on his trike. I rarely do watercolors so forgot a paper towel and extra water. All I had was the water in the water brushes. I had to clean them on the edges of the sketch and will wash them now. It was nice out and fun to sketch.
Number 1, tree and Number 2, water
Watercolors and a bit of ink with a Sharpie pen for some lines.

csshfl8water-tree.jpg

Thanks Jo, Joe1, Anne, Viv for your kind comments.

Jo: My plastic was the kids' Frozen snowflake soap bubble bottle. It is hard to draw the snowflake shape bottle accurately but I love to do it. I'll try to show you the pic. later. ... Fantastic waterfront scene. Excellent depth and reflection ... plus it is so serene to look at.

Ha! I've got everyone looking up at the skies. 😀

Didn't get to sketch anything outdoors today. Went to the eye doctor today where my eyes were dilated ...besides it was raining out. Will have to have cataract surgery on my left eye whenever they can schedule it. I really can't see much of anything out of it. The doctor told me that all the eye surgeries this week were cancelled due to Covid. At this rate it may be a long time before it can be scheduled. I think I missed the window of opportunity.

Ai, good work on those ink and washes. I like your pine cones and that snowflake bottle.

Jo, great job on the outdoor sketch, especially the reflection in the water! It is so hard to remember to take everything that you need with you when you go out.

Vivien, I'm hoping you can join us! It has been a while. Hope you are having fun!

Joan: Best of luck to your await cataract surgery. Thanks for kind comments.

Jo: Here is my kids' "Frozen" theme bubble soap bottle ...
h8_PlasticWoodTree_b.jpg

Jo - Super landscape!

Here's my first for this Hunt. Ive had so many visitors and no chance to sketch, so managed to get a sketch done today.
No 1 - Related to Health - Cheeries. Cheeries are supposed to be the latest super food. We are in Summer in NZ so in the middle of the Summer fruit Season
Watercolor and watercolor sketchbook with the real cheeries at the top of the photo.

Attachments

• 20220106_162954.jpg
    20220106_162954.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Oh goodness no idea how Ive got an attachment when I used the mountain icon! Im posting by my phone, so I can expect anything to happen!

Oh goodness no idea how Ive got an attachment when I used the mountain icon! Im posting by my phone, so I can expect anything to happen!
Viv ... you have to wait a bit during upload ... wait until the web-site upload all entire file component before you can hit an Enter to see the pic. right in the post. If you hit the Enter too soon, it will put your file as attachment. Pls. try it ...but this is from my experience with the system. ... Great to see your cheeries sketches... so yummy.

Viv ... you have to wait a bit during upload ... wait until the web-site upload all entire file component before you can hit an Enter to see the pic. right in the post. If you hit the Enter too soon, it will put your file as attachment. Pls. try it ...but this is from my experience with the system. ... Great to see your cheeries sketches... so yummy.
Many thanks Ai, I'll try that next time, im always in such a hurry.

Back