Scavenger Hunt From Life #8: Jan 5 - Jan 13

Sue, love the pots. Save your eyes. We love seeing your work when you can post. No problem if you don't comment on anything, we are here for sketching.

Robin, awww, I like your sketches with the fun hatching. Good for you for trying watercolor. Super continuous lines on the clarinet and handle. That cup is beautiful.

Anne, great shading. You must be the Queen of Shading. We watch PBS mysteries when we can. The best ever for us was Foyle's War about a policeman in England during World War Two.

EP, as usual, I love your fun sketches and they make me smile. Fun colors and idea. Guess we won't get to your part of the world in Canada very soon so the uke will go to a great grandchild. Ha.

Joe, I like your waterbrush and the ceiling fan is great. Nice to see your sketches.

Joan, oh my. I'm glad your chocolates in a bag are far from me. I have eaten way too many since Christmas. Lasagna sounds good. Nice shapes on the box and pill bottle. The winter garden is nicely done. I prefer your tuna over Ai's sardines. Ha. Good perspective on the clip.

Hi, joe1lt.

Ai, beautiful and educational on your trees. I don't think I've ever seen a teak tree. All I know is it is strong and heavy.

I sketched at the dining table, we finally had a break in the foggy type clouds and had some streaky ones today with some wind. Watercolor in the 9 x 12 Canson watercolor sketchbook.
#11 (maybe) skyscape
csshfl8skyscape.jpg

Ai, nice work on the trees. I especially like the teak.

Joan, had a smile about your clip.

JoeF, nice choice for cool. I never thought of that and went hunting for my hand fan instead! It just becomes part of the scenery and you don't even see it anymore.

Jo, nice skyscape.

Joe, your ceiling fan is making me feel cool. lol I don't need that, it's too chilly here already. :)

Jo, I will pass on the sardines as well as the tuna...not something I like to eat. Eons ago when my sister and my friend traveled around Europe during our summer break from college we would take the train from one city to the next at night. That way we could sleep on the train and not have to pay for a room that night. We always brought bread and something to go with it for dinner while we travelled. Sardines were often dinner. Yuck!

A sketch of my purse (my own design!) in ink & water-soluble graphite. My guess is it took about an hour. I had it set up on the dining room table and had to give my husband strict instructions not to move it until I had time to finish.

#11 Made of fabric

SH8#10.png

Jo, I forgot to comment on your lovely skyscape..,nicely done!

Anne, did you design the fabric or the entire bag...or both? Like the use of the solid and print fabric. Nicely shaded!

We have had grey skies most of the days since this hunt started so there were no interesting colors or clouds until today.
IMG_9365.jpeg
16 - skyscape - direct watercolor

Beautiful sky scape Joan. I love the way you did the snow too.

I designed the purse but not the fabric. I had problems finding a purse that was the right size with nice long straps so I made it myself.

Anne: Thanks... Fantastic purse sketch and so well design. I hear ya, sometimes, I wish I would have time to handmade things to the way that I exactly like.

Jo: Thanks. Wonderful serene skyscape...

Tone and I will be a way for a short trip again due to our 2nd homestead land that we just bought. It is very close to existing cabin. While we still have a few days of our semester break, we need to go talk to our homestead care giver of our homestead plan.

Joe: Thanks. Weldone on the ceiling fan sketch.

Joan: Thanks... Nice clip used to attach. Beautiful sky sketch... lol... same here our sky has been solid mundane ever since our Hunt started. I woke up this morning and find a bit of broken morning long stripe clouds

#17 skyscape .. ... done using pastel pencils on wc paper pad.
h8_skyScape.jpg

Last edited:
Hi all, happy sketching.
Anne, your bag is fantastic. The design and the drawing. You shade so well and make it look so real!

Joan, great on your skyscape. Beautiful.

Ai, nice you got a few streaks and color for your skyscape. Enjoy your new homestead. Yay!

1D6AE185-B31C-4EDE-A61D-70B4EB0BD979.jpeg

In a box-Moon filter for a new telescope
Related to health-Vicks vapor rub
Made of metal- nail clippers
Made of plastic -the tv remote
All digital on iPhone

I tried to do a continuous line but didn’t quite make it.

Hi everyone, sorry I haven’t been on I was taking a breather after a busy season. I love all the sketches I’ve been scrolling through. Great work!

Hi, Mary. Love the sketches. Haven't had Vicks around in a few years. Loved the smell. Fun digi sketches and items. Everyone deserves a break. Telescope sounds interesting. Nice to see ya.

I did a pastel sketch. Our class yesterday was about patterned backgrounds so was going to do this with the lace and have a more dramatic set up. Lazy and decided to just make the sketch and not a painting.
Number 12 ceramic and 13 fabric. Not sure of the number of items.

csshflceramic-fabric.jpg

Thanks, Joan,
So much nice work! All the pieces are wonderful. This is the first in weeks that I've done any "art" work. A little "bug" bit me this morning, so I decided to do this backyard scene of a tree, water (the pond) wood fence, metal bird feeder. Feels good to have the time and desire to paint again. Gouache on Canson's Mix Media paper, ~5.5 x 7"
thumbnail_IMG_6592.jpg

Anne, thanks. Sometimes it is easier to make something yourself and get exactly what you want.

Ai, thank you. Glad you found a bit of a sky scape. I guess putting that on the list jinxed us all. lol Hope you have a good trip up to your property.

Thanks so much, Jo. Love the highlights in the mugs and plate.

Mary, glad you found time to do some sketching with us. Oooh...I think that's the first time someone has sketched a moon filter for a telescope in our hunts. Yay for us!!! Good job on the continuous line sketches. I think I have a jar of Vicks somewhere.

nti, I'm glad you were inspired to pull out your gouache and join us. Lovely backyard scene!

Dear all, Jo, Joan: the new property is under slow development. We are lucky to have the same cabin caretaker to help with the new place ... but things will go slow and now we are just finished fencing up the new plot, next he will help us install the water tanks systems for variety of water sources available there (agro commune water pipes, shared public pond nearby, and treated village pipe water... etc.). We still stay overnight at our cabin ... but took a short drive to a new place to get clear idea for the next planning. So today, I did a quick sketch in 45 minutes total before we left the cabin. It is still rough landscape... we put in some trees and variety of bougainvillea as they are drought tolerance. It might take us a few more years before we can be ready to put up another cabin at the new plot.

I hope to be back later to comment.

#18 a) good for health -- our cabin... as we feel more relax, hearing birds, star gazing, observing nature... though running the property is not that simple for city Bangkok folk like us.... done in directwatercolor

h8_cabin_a.jpg

h8_cabin_b.jpg

#18 b) good for health -- I feel relax when I look at our flora, so these are Thai flowers at the cabin (SupanNikar).. shaped very much like a thick yellow rose. These were some of them that have fallen on the ground. I picked them up and used them as my sketch models.
h8_supan-nikar_a.jpg

h8_supan-nikar_b.jpg

#19 related to sports -- actually I played this game when I was an exchanged student to Vermont, the horseshoes game. So we have ordered a set from Amazon and leave it at the cabin.
h8_sports_horseShoe_a.jpg

h8_sports_horseShoe_b.jpg

#20 fabric -- the curtain at the cabin ... done by a 2B pencil
#21 used this to attach -- curtain wire, hooks, and eyes ... to hung curtain to window frame

h8_made_Of_fabric.jpg

PS. Below is our new humble plot (about 2 acres in the mountain part of Ratchaburi, Thailand ... 2.5 hours from Bangkok). I hope to have more time to sketch from there soon.
h8_cabin_4Rai.jpg

Last edited:
Ai, wonderful paintings, and fantastic plant drawings
Jo, great work on everyone, wonderful skycape.

Sue, nice drawing on small scketchbook.
Robin, very beautiful designs.
Eyepaint, beautiful colorful design
Mary, beautiful digital drawings.

Jaon, wonderful skycape, beautiful designs
Joe, great fan.

Ams, wonderful bag, amazing job.

3,4, 5
Made of ceramic or clay, bowl.
Made of plastic, Something used to attach things
battery charger, pendrive,
sketchbook - a5

2022-01-11 21-55_pagina_4.jpg
2022-01-12 11-48.jpg

An early appointment today and it's one of those rare bright and still mornings we get up here sometimes just to keep us going through the dreich winter :) Had to stop and have a go at a skyscape - in a small sketchbook with 2B pencil, (all I had as I was not in my own car - note to self, need a mobile studio grab bag if going in friends car!) About 10 minutes before the cold got to us.

6, Skyscape - early sun over Stenness Loch

SH8 6.jpg

Here's the photo taken this morning = think this may become one to work from at some point, I just love the colours and capturing the light will be a challenge for me.

sunrise, Stennes Loch (2).jpg

ntl: Great combo with nature theme ... glad you had a great art moment and share your sketch with us.

Joe1: Thanks. Lovely delicate patterns in ceramic. Nice attach and plastic item.

Mary: Thanks... Cool digi. group ... nice to have the moon filter and good take on Vicks bottle.

Sue: Wonderful skyscape ... such a nice feel to it... and with a lovely bird too.

ntl, wow. Nice to see you sketching/painting. I haven't used gouache in a long time. I only have white now. I really like the textures you got.

Ai, love the cabin, stories and photos. You captured the essence of your scene so well in direct watercolor. The flowers are gorgeous. Have fun with the horseshoes game. We used to play with real horseshoes but has been many years. Probably before you were born. Ha.

joe1lt, great job on the bowl. Good lines on the charger and drive.

Sue, how fun that you had a small sketchbook to grab the sunrise. How absolutely beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Joan, we got lots of sketching done so far on this Hunt. I love how some sketchers come by to get a recharge and some of us hang around most of the time. Great connections! I would be lost without this place.

A lot of nice posts right at the end of the week.

Thanks for all of the comments on mine.

Ai, nice soft sky scape.

Mary, nice choices for the objects and good digital work.

Jo, nice ceramic on the lace. We had a lace challenge in my art class a few years ago and it took FOREVER! I can understand why you decided to just make it a sketch. Love the shine of the ceramics.

ntl, nice combination painting. Glad you decided to jump in.

Ai, nice painting of the cabin, flowers, horseshoes and curtains.

Joe1, nice sketches. I especially like the battery charger.

Sue, lovely skyscape. I especially like the bird. It makes the composition.

Ai, thank you for sharing your photos and sketches of your property with us. I love the ones of the building and the yellow flowers. I can feel my blood pressure dropping just looking at them. It is fun to see the horseshoe game sketch. I like things that take you back to the simple things in life.

Joe 1, great job on the plug from the battery charger. Nice sketches.

Sue, what a lovely serene sky scape! You captured it well.

Jo, it is nice to see our core group here and enjoy seeing everyone else who pops it. It really makes it fun!

Anne, you are right about the bird really making Sue's composition.

17 - something with a handle - sketch & wash pencil dry
IMG_9369.jpeg

18 - made of fabric (my shirt) - micron pen

IMG_9370.jpeg

Back