Scavenger Hunt From Life #8: Jan 5 - Jan 13

oh gosh now I have many images of sketchbooks! One day I'll get this right! I find it difficult posting by my phone.
Anyway...moving on! I sketched the first page, from my Lavender path in my garden in watercolor, and here it is I hope
20220107_132240.jpg
20220107_132240.jpg

good grief now Ive got 2 images again, I give up and havent a clue what I'm doing wrong! Sorry can a Moderator delete one of them because I cant.

Ai, your related to garden is so beautiful, thanks for he photo, too. Clever for very useful and good perspective.

joe1lt, you did a great job on your little items from the nativity. Love them.

Sue, yes the time flies by. I'm behind this week. I like the mug, I can understand why you saved it. I have several of those. Nice job on the design and the pencil sharpener.

Joan, happy you weren't buried in the snow. Family in Kentucky had 8 inches and it created havoc with stranded folks. One day only so far thank goodness. Pretty snow.

Vivien, I'm chuckling at your uploading problems. Sorry, I shouldn't laugh, but I posted to a different site today and had the same problems. Sigh.... The sketchbooks sound good. I like your lavender path. I forget you are in a warm season.

Number 4 in a bag, Number 5 in a can, Number 6 in a box, Number 7 used to attach something. The clip can be used to attach, I used it to close the bag. Gene re-purposes those clips from the cheap pants hangars you get at Walmart or other stores.

csshfl8bag-box-can.jpg

Thanks for your comments everyone.

Ai, nice colorful garden, bar table.

Joe1, very nice sketches of the animals and people. I love your idea to use little figurines to draw from.

Sue, good use for the handle-less cup. Good idea for holes too. That is turning out to be an interesting prompt with lots of different choices.

Vivien, great new sketchbooks. What fun you are going to have with them. You are off to a great start with your Lavender Path. Next time you post, click the little picture icon and wait until the large version appears without looking faded (like you did) but DO NOT click the little image below, just ignore it. I got double posts at the beginning too.

Jo, good sketches.

Vivien, I don't think I've ever used these watercolor sketchbooks. Let me know how you like them.

I did get to sketch the trees and snow outside and about 2 hrs after I finished the wind blew a lot of the snow off the trees.
7 - trees - watercolors, watercolor pencils, sketch and wash pencil
8 - keeps you cool...well, cold really (lol)
IMG_9348.jpeg

IMG_9351.jpeg

This afternoon I backed my car out of the garage, turned it around, parked it in front of the garage, and sketched the building that is across the parking lot. I knew it would be too cold to be outdoors sketching or even to stand in the cold garage and sketch. It worked out well...my fingers were just getting too cold when I was almost finished.
9 - something with holes (porch railing) - watercolors and ink

Viv: Your Lavender path is beautiful ... don't worry about the tech glitch ... one day we will get it right ... and when we get it right, they change to new thing again ...:rolleyes:

Jo: Thanks... Nice combo set of line drawing... clever of repurpose the hanger clip ... I use cloth pins some time on my chip bags.

Joan: Thanks... Beautiful snow scene ... glorious snow fresh on branches ... and kudo for getting into mobile studio a short hop to safely sketch your neighbor's home. Beautiful fresh snow on car and railing scene.

Thanks everyone for your kind comments on my sketches.

Vivien, I am just imagining the fragrance that must fill that lovely lavender garden. It must smell great!! Nice sketch of it!

Jo, thanks. Luckily here we are usually prepared for snowstorms as long as they aren't crazy deep. lol I like your still life of the in the box, in the bag and in the can...with the bonus clip!

Ai, thank you. I knew if I waited until tomorrow to sketch the second scene the snow would be gone off the roofs of the cars. Gotta catch some scenes while I can. lol

Jo - that clip would be very useful.

Joan - wonderful snow sketches, I particularly like the car covered in snow.

ok I'm going to have another try at posting photos. This (hopefully) will be a photo of my lavender path where I sketched from.
20220107_132504.jpg

Viv: Wow..so nice of heavenly lavender path photo.

#11 Ceramic -- ink + brush pen markers, some with continuous lines
1641632559153.jpg

20220108_160209.jpg

Joan, your snow is painted/sketched so nicely. Looks cold but inviting. I love the cars in the snow. Wow, you brave the weather. It is 52 degrees here today and I'm freezing.

Vivien, thanks for the photo of the lavender.

Ai, you are busy working on cups. You did some great blind contour work. I like the teacup for my collection!

I sketched while watching TV on my iPad. It looked better there in the dark. Ha.
Number 8 metal - a galvanized bucket around the poinsettia, which is getting a bit bare.

csshfl8metal.jpg

Joan, love your snow scenes. It sounds like your timing was just right.

Ai, nice mugs. Good for you to try the continuous line drawing. You did very well.

Jo, I like your poinsettia and the galvanized bucket. It shines just the right amount.

#5 Something with a handle
#6 Something sticky

Ink & water soluble graphite. I just got a new type of graphite, artgraf in a small tub. I have mixed feelings about it. I read the reviews and they spoke about how black it was so I was hoping to use it when I have a large black area but it reactivates and lifts even worse than watercolor, at least on the mixed media paper I am using so I had to go back in with my darkest pencil and fill in the light areas. Oh well.
SH8-5,6.jpg

Success, Vivien!!!

Ai, I like your side by side regular sketches and continuous line sketches.

Jo, lol I braved the weather for a short time in my mobile studio. It was warm enough to last long enough to do the car sketches without running the engine. I'm always afraid to drain the battery. Good work on the poinsettia in the shiny bucket. Mine is still holding on although it has lost a lot of leaves. I keep forgetting to water it.

Anne, your shading is always so nicely done. Good job on that pot and the tape in the dispenser.

EP, good to see you!

I did some virtual sketching with the NYC Urban Sketchers but from photos so I can't post anything here. I guess I'm getting too wimpy, I didn't go out sketching the snow today. It was just too cold.

#1 something in a box - This was fairly quick 10-15 minutes in a pocket sketchbook. (5.5x3.5 in) used a .5mm 2B mechanical pencil. Goal was simple. Draw something to get back in daily drawing habit.

8B6E6DDA-620F-434F-A1E0-1D45CC1182CB.jpeg

keep sketching
Joe

Jo - Love the ukulele by the easel - great marks and shading on the hat and canvas! Fab job with the can/bag/box - more terrific sketchy hatch marks. Lovely shading of the leaves in your digital poinsettia sketch.

Joe1 - I like the scribbly lines on the mineral jars, nice energy and lovely shapes. Great work with the sketches of the figures from the nativity - love the variety of the line weights and the dynamic positioning.

ams - Wonderful sets of sketches and beautiful shading. I don't use the pan graphite much, but if you want dark areas without lifting then try mixing up the colour with very little water, you can apply the darks drybrush style, then soften out the edges with a bit of water.

Joan - Gorgeous beach sketch - love the waves, and the cold, blustery feel. Interesting combination of pencils and watercolours in the snow branch sketch, and I love the result - wonderful texture and lovely muted colours.

Ai - My oil pastel collection is decidedly maximalist, I add in the Pentel 50 boxes every few weeks without really noticing! They're a really good buy for a decent colour range. Beautiful sketch from the orchard - love the chaos of the flowers. Fab job on the geometric table/chair sketch, and I love the cup sketches - fun work with the markers and continuous line.

Sue - Lovely sketch of your items, and the delicate addition of the colour on the mug looks beautiful.

Vivien - I've never been able to grow lavender, so I'm very envious of your gorgeous garden! Love the colours in your sketch, and the texture of the lavender.

Joe - Glad you're getting back into your drawing practice, love the shapes and shading of the tissues, and I like the strong outlines.

#12 people ... well a barista of a roadside moka pot cafe in our neighborhood ... With Covid19, many people here are loosing jobs or need an extra side-hustle. The cafe owner told me that they do this moka pot cafe as their weekend side job. I did not sketch as accurate but I show the owner my sketch anyway. To my surprise, they were so thrilled and had big smiles... we took some photos together before Tone and I left.

h8_People_a.jpg

h8_People_b.jpg

Last edited:
Jo: Thanks ... beautiful digi flower+pot

Anne: Thanks. ...Welldone pot+sticky, inspiring soft shading

Joe: Thanks... Glad you can join with a wonderful sketch of tissue box.

Joan: Thank you for kind words.

EP: Hello... glad you can join.

#13 with handle -- markers
#14 box (shredded wheat)
#15 bag (rose tea),
#16 can (sardine in tomato sauce) -- done with 0.4 ink pen and gray brush pen

h8_withHandle1of2.jpg

h8_withHandle2of2.jpg

h8_BoxBagCan.jpg

Last edited:
#17 sticky -- Thai sweet cooked from Thai sugar palm fruit ... done with OP and liquid paper (for the white topping was supposed to represent the real coconut shaving)

h8_Sticky_ThaiSugarPalmSweet.jpg

Back