Scavenger Hunt From Life #8: Jan 5 - Jan 13

#7 relating to (kids) entertainment ... part of indoor play corner of our local mall ... actually our mall has a big renovation during our Covid19 lock down several months ago. Tone and I went there this afternoon for a quick banking trip. Here, we do have several bank branches inside a mall. Normally we use mobile banking service though. I also got some markers/pens as my advance BD treat to self from a shop in the mall. So I was using some ink pens I just got on this... done in about 10 minutes ...

h8_Playground_a.jpg

h8_Playground_b.jpg

h8_Playground_c.jpg

Ai, thanks for the bottle photo. Fun! The entertainment spot is great. I like the giant bear, like a piñata here.
Vivien, your cherries are so nice. Yay.

Thanks for the new list, Joan. I've been having a bit of a break, but can see that everyone else is having a more productive start to this year!

Ai - Lovely sketches, and I really like the result of the washes on the unsuitable paper - particularly the wonderful lines and texture on the rocks. Absolutely love the scribbly bear sketch - fab colours and energy, and so much fun!

Jo - Beautiful landscape. Lovely work fading the colours back to those cool distant trees, and great work on the water.

Vivien - Gorgeous job getting those rich, dark cherry colours, and great highlights.

I sketched in my studio in the regular 9 x 12 Canson sketchbook with a Pilot Ballpoint pen.
Number 3, related to music - my ukulele that hangs on an easel, unused for a long time.

csshflmusic.jpg

Jo, you did a painting, a scene, wonderful, fantastic. Beautiful Ukulele drawing with easel and hat.

Ai, nice bottle, very complicated shape.
giant bear, beautiful

Vivien, wonderful painting of cherries.

1, Rocks or boulders, gold, was a booklet of a collection of minerals released on newsstands.
I took a number a year ago, thinking about making a drawing, then due to the packaging and very small size , 1 , or 2 cm (1 or 2 cm the container otherwise I was rich) , I hadn't thought of making drawings
Oro.jpg

Ai - Love the huge bear in the new Childrens Entetainment area and yes he does look like a pinata!

Jo - Lovely hat and Ukuele! Wish I could play a musical instrument, I always regard people with awe who are musical. I had a try at violin as a child, but didnt keep the lessons going.

Triss - Thank you

Joe - We cross-posted. Nice drawings, and I like the way you show all your lines.

Last edited:
Jo, lovely scene. I like your reflections in the water.

Vivien, your cheeries look yummy. Good for you too! You can't beat that. I tried to pick one off the screen to eat but it wouldn't let me. :(

Ai, looks like you had fun with your new markers. The gifts we get for ourselves are always exactly what we wanted!

Jo, nice sketch of the ukulele. Looks like you might have snuck in a "keep you warm" with the hat.

Joe1, good choice for the rock or boulder. Hard to draw from an object that small but you did it well.

Joan, thanks for hosting this week.

All of these are ink and water-soluble graphite wash.

#1-Water
#2-In a box

SH8-1,2.png

#3-Gloves to keep warm
#4-Fan to cool off
SH8-3,4.png

Ai, thank you. The bottle is cute. Having kids gives you the advantage of having some fun stuff around.

Vivien, yummy looking cherries. Sorry we can't see it larger and enjoy them more. I love when they are in season here, but it is always too short.

I usually try to get to the beach on New Year's Day. Our weather has been lousy and wet. Today was finally decent so I took a ride down to the ocean.
1 - water - watercolors
2 - people
3 - made of wood (fence)
IMG_9335.jpeg

Ah...I missed a few sketches.

Ai, I love that cute critter in the play area of the mall. Glad you were able to do so many activities...banking, shopping, and sketching.

Triss, I'm glad to see you back. I was wondering if you were away or just busy with the family over the holidays.

Jo, we got so many bonuses in your sketch...not only the use but an easel, a piece of art, and a cowboy hat too. Yahoo!

Anne, your faucet has a nice shine to it and that tissue looks so soft! Good job on the open fan. I have one like that from Venice. The soft gloves will keep your hands warm.

Ai - Love the huge bear in the new Childrens Entetainment area and yes he does look like a pinata!

Jo - Lovely hat and Ukuele! Wish I could play a musical instrument, I always regard people with awe who are musical. I had a try at violin as a child, but didnt keep the lessons going.

Triss - Thank you

Joe - We cross-posted. Nice drawings, and I like the way you show all your lines.
Vivian, I have too flabby fingers to play the ukulele. Eyepaint plays and encouraged me, but I was too lazy to practice to toughen my fingers. So it sits. I guess one of our great grandkids will get it.

Anne I love your sketches, especially the fan and faucet. Very real looking. The hat is a loose straw with holes so not to keep warm. Ha.

Joan, nice beach sketch. Your models look like it is pretty chilly.

Jo: Thanks ... Lovely sketch of uke... and with extra stuffs too, hat+easel.... I gave away my kids uke two months ago to the country school kids. I had it sit still for several years.. and I don't think I can manage the practice ... I want to focus my practice more on piano.

Joan: Hello and thank you. Love your ocean and waterscape... how wonderful to live not so far from such subjects. Your sketches add more charm with people, shops, and boats.

Anne: Thanks. Wonderful shading ... love the fan and gloves combo. Nice curve in faucet.

Triss: Thanks... Miss seeing your sketches, glad you had the needed down time. Yesterday, I had a long pause at OP section of the art supply shop. I already got some small set OP and neocolor crayons ... and some Derwent sticks that are too soft for the Thai hot climate ... even then I have to pause my bigger set of OP purchase (try to be more minimalism...) ... may be if I do more of OP/crayon type arts more ... I might get the Pentel set of 50 OP.... I got inspired by your dynamic strokes...

Joe1: Thanks... Very interesting on the gold glitters... wow...

Joan, nice beach scene. It looks like it was cold and windy.

Thanks Joan and Jo for your comments. Jo, I laughed at your straw hat comment. Maybe it won't work to keep you warm but it could be used for "Something with holes." ;)

Anne - great job on all your sketches! Those water-soluble pencils certainly work well with you!

Joan - Your beach landscape is great and it looks very cold! I keep forgetting its Winter in the Northern Hemisphere as we are in Summer way down here at the bottom of the world.

Ai - I have a set of Watersoluble Neocolors too. Id forgotten about them, and used to use them lots, must get them out again when I go home.

#9 related to a garden ... plein air directwatercolor sketch of the Sandpaper Vine in bloom at our local orchard. Done in 5x8 inch Moleskine wc sketchbook.

h8_Flowers.jpg

h8_Flowers_b.jpg

thank you all.
Ams, beautiful designs.
Fantastic Joam painted with figures and beautiful sea view.

Ai, scenery with fantastic plants.

2, 3, maybe 4 I think Related to a garden, made a plastic, made of wood
they are shepherds and nanimals of nativity scenes.

and an egg, egg is true- is relatede a garden, people, pig, ox pulling man, cista cradle with baby jesus, dog, wine barrel, sheep and a donkey are all plastic, little shepherds nativity scene.

paper a5, pencil

2022-01-07 12-04_pagina_1.jpg
2022-01-07 12-04_pagina_4.jpg

Joe1: Thank you. Wonderful nativity scene items ... love the people's expression and the little pig...

#10 very useful -- bar table and high chairs at our local cafe ... done with markers
h8_BarTableHighChairs.jpg

Hi folks, I can't believe I completely missed a full hunt and you are already racing through this one - where do the days go, they just seem to fly by.

Joan, thanks for the list, some interesting ones. I can empathise with the eye issue - I had a pre-op appointment scheduled just before Christmas and it was cancelled last minute because of (no not Covid) the machine broke down! No idea how long that will take to fix - nothing will have happened over the seasonal holiday = our health service is good but small scale on the islands as we only have a pop of about 22K - so it'll be a case of someone coming up from mainland Scotland at some point to sort it. Meanwhile the world continues to look interestingly blurred:)

Not time to comment on everyone's input so far but they are all great and I am in awe of how quickly and easily you all tackle such a range of subjects.

My first effort - graphite with a touch of colour pencil at end and some finger smudging for the shadows, in 5 x 7 sketchbook, about 30 minutes with interruptions from a hungry puss
1 Handle - well, what's left of the handle anyway. A favourite soup mug that I can't bear to throw out so keeps my colour pencils tidy
2 With Holes - barrel pencil sharpener which I love because I hate having to get up to the bin to sharpen!
3 Useful - an eraser used mainly for lifting highlights out of graphite or especially charcoal work hence it is very grubby indeed.

SH8.jpg

Jo, it was pretty cold down at the beach. I had a good parking spot and never left my car. lol

Ai, thanks. I am lucky to be able to get to the ocean in about 25 minutes. I like your sandpaper vine. It reminds me of wisteria. The high table is a good catch for something useful.

Joe 1, thank you. Good job on the figures from the Nativity set. I like the man holding the pig in his arms. I can almost hear the pig squealing.

Sue, we will have to swap eye stories when we both finally have the surgery. I hope it doesn't take too long. Love your sketch of the art materials. It is nice to see that you made use of the slightly broken soup mug that you didn't want to get rid of. Glad you can keep your sharpener and eraser nearby.

I sketched a bit last night but haven't taken photos yet. We had snow overnight so I want to go sit at my window and sketch it before it falls off the trees. I think we got about 5-6 inches. This is how pretty it looked early this morning facing the trees.

tempImagetaSnlp.png

Sue- lovely sketches and yes I find the kneadable eraser, essential.

Joan - oh look at that snow! Very beautiful!

Ive purchased some new watercolor sketchbooks and was excited to begin using them. Here's the one I'm using at this time.
20220108_092008.jpg
20220108_092008.jpg

Back