Scavenger Hunt from Life #53-Jan10 - 18

Ai, thanks so much. I didn't get out to sketch at all yesterday and didn't even sketch indoors...a rare thing for me. The weather is rainy and damp. Not too conducive to sketching. I'm smiling at the small, medium, and large clothing that the girls wore...so colorful. They have grown up so much since I've known you.

Joe, thanks. The shells were in the bottom of a big glass jar. I had to really dig to get to them. One woman was sketching tiny, tiny shells that I could barely even see. lol Love your large and tiny bears...nice texture.

Sylwia, thank you. You do great ellipses. Mine are always so off. Your teacup looks very dainty. The brown ink adds to the delicate look.

Jo, I can't believe your internet still isn't hooked up. Your pastel of the margarita setup looks great. Sounds like a good recipe! I think the last time I had a margarita was with you. lol

Nothing new from me. It was rainy here yesterday so I spent the day indoors shredding old documents and papers. Maybe I should have done a collage of something on the list. Shredding is exhausting! Hopefully I will get back to sketching something today...but it is raining again.

Joan: Thank you so much, that is OK that you have slow non-art day. We all need to rest for a fresh restart.

End of a busy work week here. Rainy and dark, but I got out after work before it got dark.

Played with my 3 new Faber-Castell brush pens: cold grey 1, cold grey 3, and cold grey 6. This is the first time I've tried to use them. Fun and quick... since they are so easy to use, there is danger of it becoming "coloring book" instead of shading what you are looking at. I caught myself doing that for a few seconds at first.... I probably shouldn't have said "easy"... I think it will take some practice to learn, but I like them after 1 quick attempt.

#1 tree
IMG_1376rs.jpg

No snapshot, I forgot my little camera.
Back later this weekend with comments!

You do great ellipses.
Thank you, Joan. Before starting drawing I'm trying to put an imaginary line in the middle or sometimes just make some light dots on the paper.

AI -Lovely and full of colours and positive energy sketch.

NedL - Very nice ink and brush pen sketch. Adding more than one grey gives the drawing more plasticity.

Thank you all for the nice words on my drawings :)

#2 stuffed toy #3 organic

1673679277220.jpg

Ep- cool layout with background to carry items into focus

Joan-great direct we shells. Nice crop of boat on the shellfish marine. What are they touching on that boat? Super road scene.... really nice converging lines and proportions are really good feeling with boat tucked in bac and cloth awning from bldg....great atmosphere. Love all the signs in the sketch.

Hi Joe1, EJH

JoeFl - love the teddy bear digi sketch. Great fluffy squeezable softness. I need to practice digi sketching but my procreate disappeared off ipad..old iPad I guess so the app developed dinosaur appitis.....maybe....

sylwia- nice tea cup and great lines Nd hatching on plant and nome.

JoC-wow! Great pastel work lov the color job on bottle reflections and form are swe3t

Ai -happy dresses good memento sketch of old enjoyed clothes

nedL —-nice quick grey sketch. Yeah, I find myself drawing from brain and it feels so stale but I guess I get lazy and avoid adventures......yuck

Ai -- that car with flowers is a riot of colors! you did great. that looks very intimidating to me! Bright and cheerful "small, medium and large".

Robin -- like the different sizes all on one page. Like the cat. Edit: ( you posted while I was typing this! ) like the reddish-brown pen and ink drawing... gave the couch good texture.

EP -- hi! Like Joan said, cool "framing" of the objects.

Joan -- wonderful watercolors, the shells look very organic, like they do, w/o hard lines. The marine and street scenes all have nice perspective. I like the sky in the 2nd one and it makes a kind of rhythm with the foreground plants.

Joe -- cute big and little bears! Needs medium "just right" bear!

Sylwia -- like the impression of detail on the side of the cup. The plant and its shading are really nice. How big is the one with the potted plant?

Jo -- wow, like the bright colors in the pastel.

Ned, those pens are nice and you used them well. They are great to use for value studies too. Thanks for your comments. I'm trying to go a little looser and more playful on some of the outdoor sketches.

Sylvia, thanks for the suggestion on the ellipses. I should bite the bullet and practice them...but I always procrastinate about things like that. Love the gnome and the plant. He looks like he's hiding.:)

Robin, the guys with the big boat were sanding the hull. I guess the next stage is to repaint it. There is always some fun activity going on there. Your couch looks so soft and comfy...and good to stretch out on for a nap. Nice view of that part of your home.

8 - tree - watercolors and ink
9 - organic grasses
10 - non-organic (crumbling pavement)

IMG_1659.jpeg

This was sketched at a Whole Foods Market while I very slowly sipped some coffee.
11 - soft puffy coats - watercolors and ink

IMG_1663.jpeg

12 - mouth of a jar - watercolors
13 - stack of bobbins and buttons

IMG_1661.jpeg

Thanks, everyone. Good to be up to speed!

Ai, love your mama art dresses. So cute. Hope you feel better.

Ned, love the gray trees. Sometimes I like brush pens a lot. Sometimes I wish they blended better. I really like your technique.

Sylwia, the organic plant is great. Stuffed is a cute guy.

Robin, your large, lamp and soft is a great collection together. Love it!

Joan, the do not enter sketch is so good. Love the idea. Happy you got some coffee at Whole Foods and got your puffy coats in. Cool. You took my idea for mouth. Ha. Also gives me an idea for my bobbins, they are in a zip lock bag at the moment.

It was a little cool this morning so I sat on the tailgate and opened the garage and sketched. Gene hadn't put up the flag at the mailbox. Then sketched the machine on my footstool.
Number 4, road scene - down our road/street. Micron 03 and watercolor in the Canson watercolor sketchbook, 9 x 12 inches
Number 5, machine from garage - saw, with Micron 03 in the ArtStreet sketchbook 8.5 x 11 inches

csshfl53road-scene.jpg

csshfl53machine.jpg

Sylwia - Every time I see one of your brown ink drawings they remind me of Michelangelo’s drawings so you are up against a pretty high standard. 😎 Love the hatching on the cup and the plant.

Jo - Love the painting and the recipe. Please don’t tell me you are going to wipe it. You are getting quite good at sketching with watercolor.

Ai - Beautiful colors and a great remembrance of how the ladies are growing.

NedL - Enjoying your monochrome landscapes. Nice shading with the multiple grays.

Robin - Keep studying your hatching to figure how you make the sofa look soft and lamp look hard with similar marks.

Joan - Definitely would not want “Do Not Enter” for a neighbor. 😎 Nice sketch at Whole Foods. Love the jar of buttons and bobbins especially the bottle. The glass is spot on.

Keep sketching
Joe

How big is the one with the potted plant?
Less than half of A4 site in “landscape” format.

Every time I see one of your brown ink drawings they remind me of Michelangelo’s drawings
Thank you, Joe. This is a very nice compliment. I like Michaelangelo's drawings and found them very inspiring, especially the hatching technic.

Robin – your sofa seems to be very soft and nice to rest on it. I like the form of the lamp – looks like some magic mushrooms.
Joan, I love the scene in Food Market. Especially the lady with the phone.
Jo – I like the calm colours in the first sketch. Peaceful scenery.

#3 has a hole #2a stuffed toy – quick digital drawings in Clip Studio Paint. The original resolution is 350 dpi, 4093px x 2893px (A4)

2.2023.jpg

Thanks for all the nice comments. getting ready to watch a little football, but got this sketch in....haven’t used the acrylics in ages The orange is too gummy to keep. Hope to use the rest more oops shadows on page
8 label ink bottle
9 curly spring on lamp
10 electric lamp
11- odd shape base of lamp
3127D930-8CFA-47E5-8585-B692771244BE.jpeg

Jo, thanks. So good to have you back in full force. Love the tailgating sketch. I wish I could do that with my car! Nice sketch of the street/driveway view. Like the electric saw too.

Joe, thanks mutely! The DO NOT ENTER is actually a shed/building down by the access to one of the small rivers that go out to the bay. I don't think anyone lives in those buildings and I'm not venturing down there to see what else there is. As it was I was parked along a fence where it said no parking anytime. lol I sometimes tend to ignore signs like that. I figure I can sit there if I don't leave the mobile studio. lol

Sylwia, thank you. I'm surprised the lady with the phone at Whole Foods didn't notice me constantly checking her out. She was oblivious to what I was doing and she was at the table right across from me. Good thinking for "has a hole." Nice soft gnome. Maybe I will sketch one of mine before I put them away with the Christmas decorations that are still up.

Robin, I hate when I've left something for a while and then it gets all gunky! I like the table lamp and the great shadow it is making. Good job on the ink label.

I sketched the scene at a paving materials company. There was so much fun stuff to sketch there.
14 - chain link fence - watercolors and ink
15 - oddly shaped structures

IMG_1668.jpeg

Thank you all for your kind words on my sketches... now my new teaching semester has started...hope to be able to join with fun arts as usual.

Wow...exquisite sketches by everyone, Joan, Jo, Sylwia, Robin, Ned. ...

Joan: Super work on reflection of the "Do not enter" house... Fantastic fluffy coats... and did the persons notice you sketching them? The bobbins and buttons in jars are in better lovely details, better than seeing them on FB. ... Wow your latest sketches of the plant at Farmingdale is absolute amazing with all those details. How long did it take you ? and the size pls. Were you sketched it from your car studio? Amazing !!!

Robin: Love all your arts... It has so much flow with confidence joy.. very upbeat happy art.

Sylwia: Great works in both brown ink and the red digi strokes. The kettle is super.

Jo: Majestic view of your neighborhood homes... when add colors to your lines... the story becomes more alive. Nice machine sketch.

Ned: Great job on the trees... glad you found your cool new tools of shading markers.

Joan: Fantastic work on the plant sketch... how did you do the gate grill and the white grill of its fence. Thank you.

Very colourful sketch Robin. I like the lamp with so many details.

It looks great Joan. Rather unusual objects to paint.

Joe,Ai,Joan,Jo,Sylwia,Robin,Ned,
You are all posting beautiful and inspirational work in every medium whether it be small or large object or outdoor work. nice

Small object
one chocolate, and it was the last one left in the box :(a5 , 1 pencil, 1 ball point

2023-01-15 17-33_pagina_1.jpg

Wow your latest sketches of the plant at Farmingdale is absolute amazing with all those details. How long did it take you ? and the size pls. Were you sketched it from your car studio? Amazing !!!
Ai, thank you. I had seen the plant right before Christmas and decided I would go back another time when there weren't trucks going in and out since I if I parked my "mobile studio" I would be in the way. It was closed yesterday and I was able to sit in a no parking zone in my car. It probably took me a bit longer than 1 1/2 hrs and it is about 7 x 9 inches. The white on the gate was done with a white gel pen. The white on the green fence is just what I didn't cover with the hatching on the fence itself. The people I sketched at Whole Foods never noticed what I was doing and they were really close to me. In fact, a guy sat down and shared my table for a few minutes and even he didn't seem to notice. People are in their own little worlds. What a fun cupcake! Did you paint around all those white dots on the cupcake cup?

Sylwia, I just love your brown ink sketches! This one of the egg timer is great.

Joe 1, thanks for the comment. Ah...just one chocolate left...time to go shopping. Nice sketch!

Back