Scavenger Hunt from Life #53-Jan10 - 18

Be back to comment later

#3 Middle. - as Ned called the “right sized” bear. Sharpie Fine markers in pocket sketchbook. Lesson learned..paper seems fairly thick but markers bled through.
2EF82D5B-FC1C-4735-A9B5-FD950D717C67.jpeg

Keep sketching
Joe

Sylwia - like how you used smooth finish and highlight to read metal next to the soft gnome. Hatching on the timer and containers looks like it is out of a tutorial on hatching.

Robin - Nice work especially the detail on the lamp. The shadow is dramatic and adds to the tool-like quality of the lamp.

Joan - Unless they have changed the law if you are in the car that is “standing” not parking. Like bus stops are “No Standing” zones; basically not even allowed to pull over and stop there. The detail you rendered in that industrial site is amazing. More so at only 9x7!

Joe1 - Sorry to hear it was the last piece. ☹️ Hopeyou have a refill by now. Like how you drew the paper, always a challenge.

Ai - Kinda looks like someone was rushing the seasons as it looks like an Easter cupcake. Lots of fun colors.

Keep sketching
Joe

Joe, I like the nubby texture you got with the markers. I hate it when the markers bleed thru. Thanks for your comment. Long Island is big on areas that have no parking. I can understand it in this case because it is an industrial business.

Joan -- thanks, I have a lot to learn and some more playing around to do, I think. Like Joe noticed, the "do not enter" sign looks like they mean it! The "antisocial media" one is just great, really like that. Especially since the people on the right actually seem to be paying attention to each other rather than staring at screens. Really like the bottle and buttons, bobbins, again like the seashells without hard lines or contours. That Farmingdale painting is outstanding, there are so many details and the jet black areas just make the whole thing "pop". I had the same question as Ai when I saw it... to me it is amazing that you can preserve the whites on the fence by "hatching" with a paintbrush!

Jo -- thanks, you are right they don't blend. They layer in a way that is hard to make a smooth tone. I think I need to simplify the shading a lot more to not make it seem too fussy, but I'm not sure about that. With ink and brush, things blend a little more if it's still a bit wet, but mainly it's just easier to get a range of tones. Really like the line and wash... I hope you keep telling us when you draw "big" ( 9x12 or 8.5x11 inches ) because I am finding that inspirational and I hope to use the bigger sketch pad again soon. I have a jigsaw just like that in my garage!

Joe -- thanks.. more practice needed. Yay the "just right" bear! My daughter loaned me some alcohol markers to try and they blended really nicely, and you can make very smooth big areas of color, but wow did they ever bleed right through the paper! That's why I went and got some of the pitt pens to try.

Sylwia -- I like the shine you got in the digital painting, and the 3 dimensional shape of the kettle is great. The brown ink stack + egg timer is great, I like the range of tones and dark you can get with ink.

Robin -- acrylics! I think the shadows on the page look cool. I'm confused by the "Charles Dickens" and the ink.... :)

Joe1 -- good job on the chocolate, I hope you ate it after you sketched it :)

Ai -- I like the cupcake and the colors you used.

I'll be back later with a sketch. Still need to take a picture...

I played with the pitt brush pens again. Today was the kind of day they would be perfect for... it was very windy and it would have been hard to deal with a paintbrush and ink bottle and water bottle while holding the sketchbook. I was happy with the way it was going after the light shade was on, then unhappy after I started adding medium gray, and I tried to add more medium gray to "fix" it and didn't like what was happening so I just stopped.

#2,3,4 small medium and large rocks! :)
IMG_1378rs.jpg

When I was walking back, I wondered if I should have moved to the dark ink instead of giving up, so I did this quick thing from
memory after I got home. Not sure what I think except that there were deep darks there and I need to be less timid about using dark colors.

IMG_1379rs.jpg

This is more or less the view...
IMG_1377rs.jpg

thanks for looking and all the kind comments....

Joan.. the reflection in the puddle of Do Not Enter is fabulous
Interesting actions taking place at bakery, eh. That couple is really sharing a coffee break right! The masked lady peering into her phone is a great catch! The hustling bakers moving in back of counter is crowning touch...really nice, nice piece. But man oh man the paving company is a stunning work! They might like to buy it for their office.

JoC is all that green stuff really growing?.? I am jealous. It is cold, cold here. I felt a shimmer of spring hints but that faded quick. Nice jig saw...like the pose.

JmFletch what a sweet bear....I think you get the sweetest sketch honor this hunt. I like the loopie pen? Marks and subtile smears for depth on the light side and under the chin. Found my eye roving into the curves under chin and all around to find and enjoy the magic hiding technique. beefing an artist is fun adventure, eh!

sylwia lovely digital kettle- so life like and desirably to touch. Knome is fun guy.

Ai - best wishes on new semester

couple more days to sketch on this hunt...looking forward to the adventures......

Ned- breath taking photo, I think you did quite well with the grays....maybe you will see it better when you look back at your work in a few days....you are improving at good pace it appears. The de atramentis inks I have are all really good. Don’t know why they named it Charles Dickens...in another place on that label it says color: cement Gray. Another of my favorite of their inks is called Sahara Grey...and it is a dry looking mossy green....quite nice ......so their ink names are a bit unusual

Ned: Amazing vista, well captured... I see how you feel a bit frustrated at times... but I think that you did great with the windy condition, and short amount of time and light... Keep them coming.

Thanks you all for your kind comments on my sketch.

Sylwia: That is an amazing sketch of pairs of scissors.... Wow !!!

Joe: Lovely sweet Teddy sketch.
------------------------------------------------

The race against time... yes... I bought a few cupcakes from our local market... and put them in fridge, waiting to be my art model. I would tell my loved one, do not eat them yet... unless I sketch them... Poor them... So now I did better with this cupcake as it only waited 4 days for me to be sketched today.

#5 odd shape -- 2nd version of cupcake... I ground wc sketchbook with wc, then put OP on top, about 4x5 inch, took me about 20 minutes.

53_wierdShape2_a.jpg

End of a busy work week here. Rainy and dark, but I got out after work before it got dark.

Played with my 3 new Faber-Castell brush pens: cold grey 1, cold grey 3, and cold grey 6. This is the first time I've tried to use them. Fun and quick... since they are so easy to use, there is danger of it becoming "coloring book" instead of shading what you are looking at. I caught myself doing that for a few seconds at first.... I probably shouldn't have said "easy"... I think it will take some practice to learn, but I like them after 1 quick attempt.

#1 tree
View attachment 27620

No snapshot, I forgot my little camera.
Back later this weekend with comments!
Nice job on the tree and great ink work

Bought some tombow brush peens trying the various colors out in the package I bought.
These are all done in ink and pencils.

1. Small Object ---- ear pods
2. Medium Object ---- my cell phone
3. Large objects ---- my water bottle
4. Something in Public ---- ARUBA sign
5. Logo ----- RIU hotel
6. Soft: Colorful raft on beach
7. Tree --- Divi Divi tree and Palm tree

Ned: Looks like you are enjoying your new pens I think the rocks are well done. The dark ink makes it.

Sylwia: Really like the brown ink. Great hatching and perspective. Nice digital drawing
I see you like gnomes and those scissors are very well done. Neat Egg timer.

Robin: Thanks for the list it was fun hunting! Great room scene, that sofa looks
Comfy! Well done on the complicated lamp

Joan: Another series of great watercolors. Love the detail and your figures bust lady. Really impressed how
you make complicated scenes like your construction site look simple and esthetically appealing

Jo: Great road scene and complicated saw well done

Joe: Well done chocolate I most likely would have eaten it before I was through drawing it. Cute bear

Ai: Delicious looking cup cakes very colorful

Small.jpg
Aruba1.jpg
RIU.jpg
ArubaBeach.jpg

Paul: Thanks. and Thanks so much for sharing your Aruba holidays memory with us... I esp. love the depth and the color, and the cutie bird of the last one most. All are cool. The "small" is quite and the bottle is very well done.

;) I'm doing better with my cupcake models: The first one stored in fridge like 7 days... before I get to sketch it, the second one took me 4 days to get to sketch it, and Voilla the latest one, I sketch it the same evening I got it. and here it is, my 3rd cup cake.... done in directwatercolor.... and the view of all 3 of them in a row.

#5 odd shape -- another cupcake... done in directwatercolor

h53_cupcake-c.jpg

h53_OddShapes_Cupcakes-Row.jpg

Ned- breath taking photo, I think you did quite well with the grays....maybe you will see it better when you look back at your work in a few days....you are improving at good pace it appears. The de atramentis inks I have are all really good. Don’t know why they named it Charles Dickens...in another place on that label it says color: cement Gray. Another of my favorite of their inks is called Sahara Grey...and it is a dry looking mossy green....quite nice ......so their ink names are a bit unusual

The above post was all written out but i didn’t touch the que up button.....

ai - love the cupcake studies....it is fun to focus in on one object found as you live the day.....it has been , squirrels, one time and another-snails....this summer past i befriended several praying mantis.....seemed like they ready holding a pose and then slowly changing....:>)

Hi MPaul—-good to see an old art buddy turn up! Started looking at your. Sketches and began enjoying feeling intothe scenes thatnI actually forgot it was scavenger hunt....felt more like vacation postcard.....thanks

Sylwia- super job on scissors!!!

Back