Scavenger Hunt From Life #118 - June 12 - 20

Ai, the more I learn about watercolor the more I appreciate your direct technique. With all the lushous desserts you paint I thing I am gaining weight just looking. Great shading on the storage buildings. You said the buddhist scroll storage use to have water around it to keep out termites. What do they do now?

#5 something electric. #6 logo. - USB hub. Multiple grades of graphite in A5ish size sketchbook
IMG_2581.jpeg
IMG_2583.jpeg

Keep sketching
Fletch

Wow, Fletch, really good on your hub. Nice shine, shading and variety of plugs, etc. Cool.

I played in the pastels. Number 2, 3 and 4, small, medium and large. Some of my mugs. On the wiped off again paper, 9 x 12 i think. It had sort of a landscape the last thing under this. Work in progress will be on my blog if you are interested. Doing it after I post this.

csshfl118large-med-sm.jpg

Okay Jo. One word…AWESOME!
Who am I kidding gotta comment on the shine, colors and detail of brushes and pencils. 👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽

Fletch

Jo: Thanks.... Wow marvelous with small-medium-large mugs with those medley of pencils... Love your pastel arts...I ditto with Fletch on the shine on the mug and the light touch on those thin pencil bodies.

Fletch: Thanks. Now, some structure, they just cement pave the pond up, and use termite chemical spray to those teak pillars. If I run into the traditional storage one that still maintain the underneath water pond, I will take a photo for you. .... Love your hub...at first it looks like a special spider ... you did well with graphite.

Ai -- those colorful watercolors are great... I like the set at ChaoPraya River! The ancient script storage pavilion is wonderful :)

Fletch -- great job on the teddy bears and the USB hub looks neat w/ all the detail!

Jo -- I like the "no detail" tree and that pastel has great contrast and colors!

I've been busy ... leaving in a few days for the first "summer vacation" since I retired and there is a lot more to do before leaving than I realized. I'll probably be coming back in October. Just now finished putting drips on my wife's rose plants so they will get some water during the part of the summer she will be with me. Might not be sketching for little while, but I'm bringing my sketching supplies!

I remembered to refill my "mint box" palette yesterday so that it will have time to dry. There is an empty pan and it would be fun to try something new... any suggestions?

IMG_1921rs.jpg

Here's what I have already, they are all winsor and newton:

top row:
1. chinese white ( sometimes I mix w/ blue for skys or make a little "shimmer" effect )
2. lamp black ( hardly ever use -- will probably replace eventually )
3. winsor green, blue shade. This is a phthalo green, I'm using it more lately.
middle row:
4. yellow ochre. I use this way more than I thought I would when I got it.
( cool primaries: )
5. winsor lemon.
6. winsor blue (green shade ) is a phthalo blue.
7. permanent rose.
bottom row:
8. burnt sienna ... I use this up faster than all the others!
( warm primaries: )
9. winsor yellow
10. "french ultramarine"
11. scarlet lake.

I was thinking maybe another earth tone like umber or burnt umber or raw sienna... or maybe quinacridone gold??? I have no idea!!!
I'm pretty happy with it already. Maybe another yellow? I have noticed that my yellows disappear! On one of the sketches in the last hunt, there was some bright "winsor yellow" on the hills, and it didn't show in my photo at all, I went back and looked at the sketch and it was really hard to see it. I think that color fades a lot when it dries.

Ned: Have fun...if you use up the current Chinese white, you may also try to replace it with white gouache... as gouache has more covering power in case you need to add a spot of the white light sparkling back to your dark tone wc. Other colors, are OK but I rarely use lamp black, instead, I just mixing of more dark with more of my Payne's Grey.....Just enjoy using your palette, then you will understand them better and can figure out if you need to adjust your colors more or not. I often like Manganese blue for sky, and cobalt blue for mixing my cool shadow.

Ai -- Wow! This is a crazy coincidence. About 30 minutes before I saw your post, my daughter walked into my room and suggested "manganese blue hue" or "cobalt light"! You both suggested the same two colors!

I wasn't even thinking of another blue, but now I'll pick one of those! :) Just for fun, to have something different.

I'm also not using the lamp black much... I like to mix phthalo green + scarlet or burnt sienna + ultramarine to make dark grey/black. I just learned about the green+red one and need to try it some more, but I have a feeling that I like it!

Mostly I need more practice! Sometimes I get a color I like then forget how to make it....

Thanks! :)

Last edited:
Hi Ho art buddies …….wonderful art offerings…..I just wanted to let you know I haven’t forgotten this place….my son and I have been replacing the particle board skirting on my trailer. We will be finishing up today and I will be able to comment on the lovely art.

Meanwhile , keeep sketching. 👩‍❤️‍👩 😘

Ned, interesting palette and sounds like good advice. Been doing a lot of reading and practicing color mixing. Think you have the basics covered which usually is a warm and cool of each primary, a couple of earth tones, & white. After that it seems all personal. Read a case for adding premixed secondaries which ones to add varies with what you paint most. Read another view to add more yellows vice secondaries as it will give you more greens and oranges. Point here was purple is not a commonly used color and when needed easily mixed. Think it is all really personal choice. Hope you get to paint and sketch on your holiday. Hard to take a vacation from retirement 🤣😂

Edited to add: Another interesting concept is that to make black look natural you have to add some color so you are better off mixing your own black. Looks like you are already headed that way.

Last edited:
... basics covered which usually is a warm and cool of each primary, a couple of earth tones, & white. ...

Fletch -- thanks! I've been happy with this approach, but since these are the only WC I've ever used, I don't know what I'm missing :)

When I first got them, I did the "color wheel" and charts of all the mixtures. I've done that a few times now. But when I'm outside and trying to use them, I can't remember it all... "wait... how do I make pine green instead of day-glo lime green again???? :) But I'm getting some intuition and it's getting easier... and learning that it doesn't matter as much as I thought... it's a sketch not a photograph!

Ai, that was plastic??? I like your combined page with the small, medium, and large. I really like the distant Grand Palace view. You did just enough detail to capture it. That pavilion is lovely...great color!! Your sketches always make me smile.

Jo, quick scribbles are sort of like continuous lines when you're doing foliage. I'm usually doing something more detailed and do continuous lines so slowly. lol Love, love, love the pastel of the mugs!! It is so colorful and shiny. I like that you have one filled with very useful items.

Fletch, I love the shading on the USB hub. You've got a lot plugged in there. Nice!!

Ned, where are you going on the vacation? Looks like you've pretty much got the watercolors covered. I would probably add another blue...maybe ultramarine or cobalt...It would give you nice greens mixed with the earth tones. Like Ai, I don't use black. I use a lot of indigo and agree with her about the white gouache.

Robin, sounds like you're busy. Will be glad any time you can stop and comment...or even if you just show your face:)

Yesterday I met the NYC Urban Sketchers near a park (Carl Schulz Park) up in the 80s along East Side Drive. The mayor's home, Gracie Mansion, is in the park, but for security it is behind so much fencing you can't really see it.
I started with a sketch one block away in a tiny private street that reminded me a bit of Paris.

6 - hard bricks - direct watercolor
IMG_5503.jpeg

Here are two of my friends sketching in front of me.
7 - medium sized chairs - dirt watercolor
IMG_5502.jpeg

8 - outdoor light - direct watercolor
9 - large tunnel
IMG_5507.jpeg

Last edited:
Joan, those are all great, and I love the last one ( It feels like the shadows in the foreground give an impression of what they were like... )

Thanks and yep, it will be another blue! Somewhere along the way we'll go to an art store. Eventually the black will go away ( I'll have another empty pan! ), and I'll replace the chinese white with gouache. I'm heading to Bainbridge Island which is across the Sound from Seattle, then to Northern Idaho in August. At the end of Summer, my daughter is going to drive to NY from Idaho, and I'll go with her for that trip. Then back to Bainbridge until the rains come in October. Whew, I hope it's more relaxing than it sounds! :)

Ned, Joan or Ai can tell you more, yellows are pretty transparent. I have mixed it with a bit of the white gouache for small bright spots like center of flowers. I am definitely not a watercolor person. I can tell you about pastels. Ha. Sounds like you will be busy but in beautiful cool places. We stayed just north of Idaho near Nelson in British Colombia and visited along the way. The Seattle bay areas are so beautiful. You have my attention. (I'm not really interested in any of the teams in the College World Series but the first games have been so close .. fun.)

Thanks all on the latest pastels. Funny how the "dirty" paper served for a good background. May save these last two. Ha.

Joan, your direct watercolors are amazing. I love learning all about NY with you. These are beautiful and the two artists are super.

I love traveling here in the Hunts since we don't get to travel anymore. Thanks to all of you. Travel to Bangkok and beyond, west coast, Canada, New York and all around. One of the Carolinas with Robin, Florida with Fletch. Down under, too. So great. Thanks all, y'all.

Jo -- Now I have another reason to get white gouache! Nelson is only about 90 miles from where we'll be! Same with me for the CWS, still fun. I'm recording both games today and will pick one to watch after dinner! Also remembered to write down TV provider password, so I can watch the final games next weekend in WA!

Ned, sounds like a few good trips, but a lot of driving. I've always wanted to get to Seattle and that area and north, but haven't (as of yet). We did drive cross-country a few times and that was fun. Nothing like driving thru Winslow, AZ with the Eagles cd playing "standing on a corner in Winslow, AZ, such a fine site to see." I like driving as long as I'm not in a hurry and there are stops along the way.

Jo, I'm glad I can provide you with glimpses of the NY and the east coast. I enjoy seeing everyone's locations too.

At my desk for a quick and last sketch in the BookFactory sketchbook. Looks like I got in in May 2021 and didn't sketch again until July of 2023 and now finishing up. Fun to finish a sketchbook. With a Micron 02.
Number 5 screw - hadn't sketched this in a while. Should have taken more time.

csshfl118screw.jpg

JoC….lovely line sketch of the tree full of plantie life . wOw that cuppa art tools shines out loudly- I am happy when we “dance”! Tha little reflections and spacing of cups conversation is soft and active. Sweet Spot 😘
Great wine bottle opener -quick and focused

Joan ….the first tree watercolor sketch the shade under the tree is a cool refuge, picnic table scenery the watery treetops bend nicely toward the water below. The wicker texture is great teamed with the louvers . Great sketches of Gracie mansion. Those artists look immersed n the environment! Can feel they are in “the zone”. Inviting tunnel vision. Just dreamy enough to make me relax and breathe. All so nice. Thanks:)

Fletch….nice soft looking one eyed pencil sharpener. Awwwww, furry bear snuggle line- makes me smile! Thanks…like the butterfly touch too(y) Ahhh, lovely central control connection. You infused something so mundane with your restful activity - love it.

Ai …love your food sketches ..mouthwatering mischief. Fun surprise on the small, med, large selection. They are each wonderful sketches! Beautiful colors…the Buddhist temple is super..great job on the porch railings. The little figure emerging draws me in. Body language of the figure carries a thoughtful peace. Really nice. Your line drawings are quick nd sweet!

Ned ..oh, you are set to go with palm sized color. I really have enjoyed the color conversations and will log them into my art journal tips.. nothing like friends and family’s input. Safe travels and many artsie moments.:cool:

Back