Scavenger Hunt From Life #118 - June 12 - 20

Robin: Thanks. Hope you get your trailer done quick and smooth, it is great to have a good helper. Nice clever for soft and logo.

Jo: Thanks. I absolutely think your corkscrew was so amazing drawing. You got all the parts so right proportion.

Joan: Thanks. It is nice to know after what you mentioned to Ned, that we share similar wc tips. I love all your directwatercolor sketches. So well done and free. I think I got stuck with the #30x#30Directwatercolor. I think I did so well in directwatercolor on my own terms, but anytime I enter any art challenge, I feel I have been bounded to comply to the goal of it... and I got stuck. One of my art friends told me that I was a perfectionist, and if that is true may be that takes a toll on me and not let me feel free with my arts under a certain art challenge. Or may be I overthink too much.

Ai, what a fun tree you found. My mom did call that type tree cactus. Nice line work on the hole in it cup. Thanks. You are tough on yourself. You do so well with your direct watercolor. I'm always amazed.

Robin, thank you. You make me smile. Your red and blue bananas are right on. Clever find for soft and label.

I sketched on my porch chair in the large Canson Mixed Media sketchbook I intended half a page and it went to about 3/4. Used a Micron 02 that has about had it. Maybe one more sketch.
Number 6 looking down on something - my feet and my coffee/thermos mug with lid missing the closure part. I need to get me a double glass cup again, don't enjoy this plastic metal combo.

csshfl118looking-down.jpg

JoC- the from above sketch is great. Odd context so well done and so commonly ignored. Thanks. Hope you find a good glass replacement. Warm drink in plastic does not satisfy with clean taste.

7 stuffed pillow
8 light fixture
9 electric TV
10 in public
11 small -little bottle of water on coffee table
12 medium- chair
13 large- service counter
14. Makes a sound - fountain pens click
15. A stack of magazines
IMG_2395.jpeg

Jo..Thanks ..yes..it was a cactus tree, as it is taller than me...lol..At our down below view too...I did not read your post first..so it was a tough guess for me...

Robin: Thanks..Such a beautiful combo of cozy nook..love colours yellow and blue Gray

Ai, I'm smiling. Thanks.

Robin, thanks. Wow, great coffee shop sketch. All the fun stuff. Looks like a great place. Love the colored inks.

Hi, I took Lily to a foodcourt of our local mall.

#8 chain ... on the four hanging lamps (at bottom left)
#9 logo ... a soup bowl with the logo "Foodpark"
#10 sub. stack with side-by-side decorative items on a shelf
#11 sub. roadway with traffic at the food court

June19_2024_FoodCourt.jpg

Joan and other northeast folks, guess you are having a hotter day than we are. Hope all is well and you have some air conditioning.

From a shelf in my studio. Pen and art pens, with brush tip. On cream parchment paper, previously experimented with 'odd' shape prints. Just noticed I missed a couple of lines. 😊
1000007870.jpg

1. Small objects - water containers
2. Medium size object - wooden storaged boxes
3. Large object - large wooden paper storage box
4. Has a hole - water bottle
5. A stack of wooden boxes.

Jo, love the screwdriver. I'll bring over a bottle of wine. Hope you didn't knock over the mug between your feet. lol Thanks for your concern about our "heat dome." Out here on Long Island it wasn't too bad...nice breeze and mid to upper 80s. I was out painting yesterday and today with friends and was able to find some shade that made it comfortable enough.

Robin, thanks for your kind comments. Oooh...love the pink bananas and that label too. That cafe sketch is wonderful...so many great items especially that fringed stuffed pillow!

Ai, thanks. Don't worry about taking the challenges too literally. The goal is to get us to paint more, not to stress about it being perfect. Fun food court sketches.

JennieJo, fun collection of items and the colors made me smile.

I've been busy doing plein air painting with friends and haven't had much time to post the results, but here they are.
10 - oddly shaped - ink
IMG_5517.jpeg

11 - has a hole (fence) - direct watercolor
IMG_5532.jpeg

12 - free space - direct watercolor
IMG_5530.jpeg

13 - soft flowers - direct watercolors
IMG_5515.jpeg

14 - marina scene (sub for road scene_ - direct watercolor

IMG_5513.jpeg

Jo, love the screwdriver. I'll bring over a bottle of wine. Hope you didn't knock over the mug between your feet. lol Thanks for your concern about our "heat dome." Out here on Long Island it wasn't too bad...nice breeze and mid to upper 80s. I was out painting yesterday and today with friends and was able to find some shade that made it comfortable enough.

Robin, thanks for your kind comments. Oooh...love the pink bananas and that label too. That cafe sketch is wonderful...so many great items especially that fringed stuffed pillow!

Ai, thanks. Don't worry about taking the challenges too literally. The goal is to get us to paint more, not to stress about it being perfect. Fun food court sketches.

JennieJo, fun collection of items and the colors made me smile.

I've been busy doing plein air painting with friends and haven't had much time to post the results, but here they are.
10 - oddly shaped - ink
View attachment 41368

11 - has a hole (fence) - direct watercolor
View attachment 41369

12 - free space - direct watercolor
View attachment 41370

13 - soft flowers - direct watercolors
View attachment 41371

14 - marina scene (sub for road scene_ - direct watercolor

View attachment 41372
Thanks Jo, I often do a sketch, but as it's not my super skill I rarely post. I've just enrolled in street art sketching short course. I'll see what happens!

Be back to comment Heading out to take Sharon to PT.
#7 tack - multiple grades of graphite in an A5ish size sketchbook

1718896031397.png

Keep sketching
Fletch

JennieJo: Love your pink power in all items you did.

Fletch: Thanks. Fantastic tacks...wow you can draw that stem so clean and nice shines.

Joan: Thanks. Love your marina and all its colors... but I am so drooling for your lavender free space. Great job on all.

All done in directwatercolor
#12 Freespace ... Thai puppets at a meseum ....

June20_2024_H118_puppets.jpg

June20_2024_H118_puppets2.jpg

#13 sub. a stuffed toy with the bird decoration in glass
#14 organic ... orchid on the left
#15 non-organic ... bright pink plastic ribbons part of a Thai garland on right
#16 soft ... Thai sweet, wrapped in banana leaf package in pyramid green shape with a long upward tail

June20_2024_OrchidsGlassBird-garland.jpg

1000001635.jpg

#17 curly ... noodle & bean sprouts in a Thai noodle dish, called PadThai...... Well I was way off a lot for noodle texture....Pls. take my words for it ...lol

1000001641.jpg

Last edited:
My sketch in the Canson mix media large sketchbook with Piochoo and Pentel markers.
Number 7 logo
Number 8 curly
csshfl118logo-curly.jpg

Off to Austin for a check up for Gene. Comments later. Fun sketches....

Joan, I am with Jo, sometimes learning about New York and sometimes enjoying great memories. Beautiful work. You are getting good doing cars. The stone work on the arch is excellent. Great line work on the lobsters. Can almost smell the lavender. Keeping the last one for doing picket fencing. When I saw the last one I thought for sure it was for stacked. LOL

Jo, super job on the corkscrew. Forgot about corkscrew and came up blank on curly. Shoes and mug look like an accident waiting to happen. Gotten so use to drinking from metal thermos that when I drink coffee from a glass mug it tastes off. Clever logo and curly. Like the colors.

Ai, nice cactus. Like the varied line quality on the drink cup. You and Joan continue to inspire. Fun food court sketches. Love the puppets. Table full of food looks like a month of desserts for us. Floral is pretty. Right or wrong texture the PadThai looks yummy.

Robin, pink bananas gave me a flashback to first drawings of yours I remember. Always fascinated by detail and realism of your drawing while colors were never the expected. Nicely done! Wow on multi item composition. 👍🏽

Jennie Jo, enjoy the soft warm colors.

Keep sketching
Fletch

Last edited:
Fletch: Thank you so much.

Jo: Thanks... Wow glorious shoes and the bright and glow ribbons

All: Oh oh ... we still have no Host for the Hunt# 120: Jun 28 - Jul 06 ... Pls. take a look and post your help here -->https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/page-8 ... if you never host one, no worry ... you can even not need to host, but send your list of 26 things for each Hunt to either JoC, Joan, me, or Fletch. Thank you.

Thanks on the nice comments. Gene's check up good for 6 months! Yay. Lunch with Joanna so good trip and not so hot today. We got 2 inches of rain last night and yesterday. Another Yay!

Ai, your chain was a good find. Fun name on the bowl. I like you sideways stack. ice counter for traffic, bet it does get busy.

JennieJo, some clever finds, too. I like your colors. Fine work!! I think you will like the street sketching. I find it both helpful and healthful to get out and about with other artists.

Joan, yes, I would like to drink more wine with you! Happy you didn't get the awful heat. They say all summer will be hot here. The lobsters are definitely odd shape. I like the fence and trees. The lavender is so nice I can smell it. The marina scene is by the road, love the picket fences with sun and shadows on same. You can count the boats for stacked as Joe says. Yay for the 'Old Red, White and Blue".

Fletch, clever tacks. I don't think I have any of those anymore. Great shadows. I've been using the metal cup since before Christmas and just can't get used to the rim. I ordered me some new double glass mugs yesterday. I'm too old to not use what I like!

Wow, Ai. Love, love the puppets. Amazing detail with few lines. Congrats! Is the banana leaf sweet? They made a sort of tamale wrapped in corn husks in Bolivia that were sweet. I loved them. Neautiful flowers, vase and ribbons. Sigh.....ahhhhh. I really like Pad Thai and yours looks delicious on the green plate. Mmmm.

Have a good day everyone or evening.

JennieJo, what is a street art sketching course?

Fletch, each of those tacks has its own personality. :) Thanks for your comments. I hope my sketches and stories bring some NY memories back to you. I'm laughing that you thought I would use stacked for the marina sketch. I didn't think of it until I already posted it, but it would have worked well.

Ai, those puppets are so great with that marvelous background! Love the bird and the orchid sketch. Pad-thai...finally something I've tasted...yummy!

Jo, the logo on the sneaker came out great, and I like the curly red ribbon. Are you getting any rain from the storm hitting Texas? I know it was heading to Houston but you are still quite a ways from there. Hope all is good weather-wise and checkup wise. Just read the last post...glad you got a little rain and the checkup was good.

Hope everyone has a good night!

Thanks Jo, Joan.

Jo:
the banana leaf is used just for wrapper for food or sweets. If we steam the food package with banana leaf wrapping, the food will get a nice sense plus the food package will be bio-degradable.

Back