Scavenger Hunt from Life #13: Feb 14 - Feb 22

Triss, nice work on the socks. Your "Jaws" is delightful. I got quite a chuckle from it.

Ai, I like your colorful flowers. They are lovely.

Jo, what a cute little valentine gift. The one spot of color is very effective. Your two different solutions to "flush" are great. Seeing what people come up with for the prompts is half the fun!

Joan, the toilet is what came to mind for flush for me too but I haven't managed to get it drawn yet. I like your shells. They remind me of visits in my childhood to my grandparents in Florida.

Here's my first two for this week. Jo, thanks for the list.

#1 Connection
#2 Socks

20220215Sk6 SH13#1-2.png

Jo, I guess great minds think alike with the toilet. lol Good hand of cards. I don't even know where my deck of cards is.

E.J.H. - Looking forward to seeing some of your Neocolor sketches. Those are a bit too tiny for me, but I'm always surprised they aren't more popular (and I really wish Caran d'Ache would make jumbo versions of their stuff!).

Jo - Great sketches - gorgeous scribbly fur on Coco, and I love how you got to the poker hand - might have to steal that idea, as I don't fancy sketching toilets!

Joan - I do like your minimal take on toilet sketching - lovely shading! Beautiful work with the shells - those natural colours are wonderful against the shadows.

ams - Great attention to the shading for your connection sketch, and lovely soft socks.

From the ones I've read, it's a really eclectic list - I've enjoyed some of Joanne Harris's books, but I never got around to Chocolat.

#3 - Chocolat - Hot chocolate marshmallow gift bag & mug. Acrylics & oil pastels, A2.

chocolat.jpg

Jo, Joan, ams (giusto, connessione, forse ruberò idea), triss wonderful job,
triss, I forgot, very funny how you have recreated jaws with the origami of the boats.
days ago I was thinking that then I had not used, learned anything with origami, I have to look for them, I don't remember where I put them, maybe I had moved them to a drawer and I had forgotten about them.

1 chocolate (one of the best chocolates I've always found, it's a pack of 3, I designed one) 2Sphere - apple and egg

of chocolate and others I saw the film.
books I think not, but some book and film titles may have translated them differently and I have not linked them. but I've probably only seen movies

paper - a5 sketchbook . plus small of a5 paper
2022-02-16 10-29_pagina_4.jpg

#2 lucky -- Sunflowers blooming at the gas station in our neighborhood... I also am lucky too that Tone, is kind enough to wait for my directwatercolor sketch of about 15 minutes.

h13_Sunflower.jpg

h13_lucky_b.jpg

Joan: Thanks.... so in love with your seashell pretties...cool flush as well

Joe1: Thanks. Wonderful ... chocolate and the sphere shapes

Triss: Thanks... Another stunning on your chocolate... love both the glamoring glitz of the chocco top and also interesting shadows of the cup.

Jo: Thanks... wonderful flush, both items.

Anne: Thanks so much. What a great idea for connection. Nice shading on both.

Viv, Sue: Thanks so much.

Joe: Thanks... Actually, we should have trimmed our bougainvillea more ... but because we only pay our cabin care taker mimimally ... so we are OK if he has overlooked our plants some time. I'm glad we got to see the color bursting at this visit.

Last edited:
Triss, oh how yummy that looks!!! Thanks so much for your comments.

Joe 1, I'll take the chocolates now that you're done sketching. :)

Ai, your sunflower is so full of energy! I love seeing the photo of you painting there. Thanks, Tone for taking the picture of Ai in action.

Thanks everyone.
Anne, the connection is super. Nice texture on the socks.

Joan, we have decks of cards. Our rummy game takes 4 decks. We never play poker though. Ha.

Triss, the chocolate mug is wonderful. Makes me want a cup of cocoa.

joe1lt, your chocolates sound wonderful. Is there any left after Joan gets some?

Ai, the sunflower brightens up our cloudy day. Thanks to Tone for the photos. Fun to see you at work, well, artwork.

Thanks so much Jo, and Joan.

Joan: Nice shading of both the scoop and the sub. item for hatchet. Your minimal line portraits a thick butcher knife perfectly.

Joe1 - I like seeing all the different types of shading you try out. Great work on your sketches, and lovely hatching skills!

Ai - Vibrant job on the sunflower - love the fun, splashy sketch, and it's wonderful to see the photos of you painting. Great roadside find, too!

Joan - Fab pencil sketching - great shapes and lovely shading and texture.

#4 - Feathered. Tiny toy vulture, oil sticks, A2.

feathery.jpg

Thanks for your comments everyone.

Triss, I like your gift mug. Nice work on the contents of the bag. I love your toy vulture. When I saw his head as I was scrolling down, I wondered how you managed to get the bird to be still enough to sketch.

Joe1, nice sketches.

Ai, lovely sunflower. You have a nice little portable setup.

Joan, great idea for a hatchet. Nice shading on the scoop.

Joan, Good shading on the wash pencil of scoop and hatchet. Clever find for hatchet. Cutting tools always look dangerous to me. I've read too many mysteries I guess. Ha.

triss, such a proud looking vulture. We have lots of the turkey buzzards around here but only see them from afar. Love the colors.

I sketched out on the porch. It is about 65 degrees this morning but supposed to get very windy, we have a fire danger alert.
Number 4 birdie, don't know what kind. It sat on the tiniest branch for quite a while left and came back. Number 5, fences - corner of yard Number 6 milkweed, subbed a dandelion I think it is. And a little pile of rocks for a bonus. Just trying sketching them small.

csshfl13birdie.jpg

20220218_071046-01.jpeg

First, a question. How do I post without replying and getting the intro? I can not see a post to thread option.
#1. A4, sketchook surface, medium: pencils, time : bit over 2 hours, usual angle, aaging entrance to my art area, AkA the old pool area.

thank you all for the nice words.
Ai, magnificent sunflower, Joan beautiful work on both, triss, beautiful painting, nice look of her,
Jo, all very nice, JennieJo, nice job

JennieJo - You just go to bottom of thread page and type in box where it says “Write your reply…”

Joe

Thanks to all for your comments.

Triss, I have to say you are the first person I know to have a toy vulture. Love seeing all the colors in the sketch!!

Jo, good sketches from your yard. Hope the winds don't cause any problems...fingers crossed.

Jennie-Jo, nice shading on the fence!

5 - birdie - pencil
IMG_9593.jpeg

6 - fence - ink (For some reason I thought gate was also on the list...must be seeing things.)
IMG_9592.jpeg

7 - scarlet (close to it) - watercolors (Small 5 x 7 sketch to work out a larger painting I was commissioned to do.) I added some background trees since I took this photo.

tempImage4afb5e.png

Joan, great birdie find and fences. The house is a lovely scarlet. I want to do scarlet in pastels, we shall see. I don't have a vulture but do have a condor from Chile. It was the pretty blue and white pottery, very gray now after fire. Small about 3 inches tall.

The day was crazy, It was about 62 this morning, got up to 80 .. Gene rode his trike. We sat on the porch and I sketched and now is is about 48 with a low of 34 expected and the wind is howling.

Back