Scavenger Hunt from Life #13: Feb 14 - Feb 22

Jo Castillo

Supporting Member
Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts from Life. The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.
If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:
https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/
Here are the rules for the Hunt:
*All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the list, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
*Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
*Have fun!
*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required.

Scavenger Hunt from Life #13: Feb 14 - Feb 22

Room (Emma Donoghue)
Beloved (Toni Morrison)
Dune (Frank Herbert)
Pretties (Scott Westerfield)
Uglies (Scott Westerfield)
Jaws (Peter Benchley)
Hatchet (Gary Paulsen)
Hunger (Knut Hamsun)
Twisted (Laurie Halse Anderson)
Scoop (Evelyn Waugh)
Fences (August Wilson)
Blankets (Craig Thompson)
Feathered (Laura Kasischke)
Scarlett (Alexandra Ripley)
Lucky (Alice Sebold)
Sphere (Michael Crichton)
Beastly (Alex Flinn)
Chess (Steven Zweig)
Valentine (Elizabeth Wetmore)
Milkweed (Jerry Spinelli)
Dolly (Susan Hill)
Chocolat (Joanne Harris)
Connections (James Burke)
Socks (Beverly Cleary)
Flush (Carl Hiaasen)
Birdie (Tracey Lindberg)

Happy Valentine's Day! These are one word book titles. Feel free to relate, associate, substitute and have fun. Tell us if you read the book.

Happy Valentine's Day to Jo and all the hunters :)

Ooh book titles? Which ones have you read and which do you recommend? I think I may have read Beverly Cleary's book at some point ...

Great list, Jo! Loving some of those titles.

#1 - Socks. Quick morning scribble of my thrilling new supermarket socks. I'll try to get a bit more creative for the rest of the list!

socks.jpg

Happy Valentine Day... everyone.

#1 Valentine ... our Valentine 1 night trip to check on the yellow flowers blooming at our cabin ... and to our surprize our bougainvillea have also in peak too.... done in directwatercolor, in 5x8 inch sketchbook.... about 30 minutes.
h12_colorful_a.jpg

h12_colorful_b.jpg

Ai, the sketch is beautiful. We don’t see a lot of bougainvillea here. We saw a lot in South America. There is more crepe myrtle here for color.

Triss; Nice socks, I like the "mundane" subject, and you use an interesting medium, looks great.
Aiarts; Fantastic plein air!, and your location is stunning. (still harsh winter conditions here, no plein air for me right now🥶).

Really gonna try participate this round, been too long, and I love this initiative!

Happy Valentine's Day to Jo and all the hunters :)

Ooh book titles? Which ones have you read and which do you recommend? I think I may have read Beverly Cleary's book at some point ...
EP, I'm like you. I probably read that book years ago, too. The only one on the list I can think of. I did see a couple of them as movies, I think? Dune and Chocolat

E.J.H., hi and welcome. You can always do just one or a few items. Some artists have practiced and then gone to to a project and then drop in again. It has been fun. It kept me going through a very few dry years.

Ai - What amazing colours! Love the vibrant chaos of all the blooms, and beautiful brushmarks.

E.J.H. - Hope there's something on the list to inspire you this week.

#2 - Jaws. Recreated with scrap paper on my sofa. Oil pastels, A3. It's raining here, again. As you can probably tell, I'm getting a bit bored being stuck indoors.

jaws.jpg

I really like that oil pastel work Triss! I got a little neocolor 2 set a while ago, I might try to imitate your style....

The great thing about the prompt list in these topics is they are so long and varied you can always find a prompt for the life drawing you made:cool:

EJH, Jo, and Triss: Thank you so much.

Jo: I did look up the crepe myrtle, it is pretty too.

Triss: Wonderful bringing life to the the mundane subjects like socks... you put them in majestic manner... Bravo... for creative effort in Jaw... nice sketches and bring me smile too.

Happy Valentine's Day, everyone!

Jo, thanks for the new list. The titles don't look familiar but some of the authors are. I recognize some as titles of movies too. I loved reading Beverly Cleary books to my classes when I taught. This looks like fun.

Triss, I love seeing the socks sketched the way they were packaged! Fun sketch for Jaws. Great way to do the fabric design.

Ai, it looks like the whole area is in bloom. That's so pretty!!

E.J.H., hope you join in and sketch with us.

Triss, oh, I love your socks. So deliciously done. Your jaws sketch is fabulous, love the novelty of the sketch. I'm so grinning!

Hi Ai, E.J.H., and Joan.

I sketched a valentine gift, we had Valentines yesterday with dinner at a favorite Italian restaurant.

Number 1, valentine - a gift from Gene, it had the candy from the last sketch. In the regular sketchbook with a Pilot ballpoint pen with the red and green added with Micron pens. Coco, the love pup, is brown.

csshfl13valentine-red.jpg

Happy Valentines Day to all! Thanks for the list Jo, I know some of the books,
Triss -
Love your socks, and jaws!
Ai - Beautiful Bougainvillea drawing!
Jo - Coco is so cute!

Jo: Wow... that V-day treat is so delicate and sweet. Great job of sketching it.

Great idea for a list Jo, ('ve only read Room, Scoop and Chocolat - I read obsessively but there are books there I don't even recognise so a bit of research is called for to see if they lead to any new authors for me.

Cosy looking socks Triss and the Jaws made me laugh out loud

Ai, what a gorgeous burst of colour to lift spirits - we have a very wet grey day here again

What a cute pup Jo, looks very soft and fluffy the way you have sketched him

Thanks everyone. I saw Jaws and Chocolate as movies. Don’t know much about the authors. Our college baseball starts Friday. Takes more time than my art to keep up as fans. Usually 4 games a week.

Triss - the socks are a great find and your rendering is super. But your setup for jaws just cracked me up. Love it!

Ai - love the way you captured the wild grown look. We have a few bougainvillea in our yard but all trimmed and shaped so look very different.

E.J.H - don’t forget you can always use associations or substitute! Key is draw from life and share!

Jo - The stuffed puppy is adorable. Always enjoy a splash of color in an otherwise monochrome work. The hunt list is cool and original but personally I am waiting for you to make a song or book list that is alphabetical too.😎

Hope everyone enjoyed a nice Valentines.
Joe

Jo, what a cute bear. I like the way you indicated his fur!! I also like the pop of color!!

I know it has been a long time since we've sketched a toilet, but I felt this was an appropriate time. lol
1 - flush - dry sketch and wash pencil
IMG_9570.jpeg

2 - pretties from the ocean - direct watercolor
IMG_9569.jpeg

Joe, surely I've made the list of books or movies or songs as alphabetical lists ... surely. Ha. Thanks, the pup needs to find a better place/home than the coffee table.

Joan, thanks. We had the same thought on flush. I like the line sketch. Your pretties are precious and well done. I'm smiling.

I sketched on a kitchen chair then at my footstool for the cards.

Number 2, flush - the toilet and a poker hand The toilet was with the Pilot ballpoint pen and it blobbed on me and got on my hand, first time from one of those pens. Must be a lemon. The poker hand was a Micron 02 that is about out of ink. Sigh...

csshfl13flush.jpg

Back