Scavenger Hunt from Life #129: Sep 08 - Sep 16

And more rectangle things. I have a new toy (and tutor), in the form of a little wooden toy train, transporting simple wooden blocks on its wooden wagons. Today I focused only on the blocks, and I remain surprised and a little dismayed at just how difficult these simple things are to draw. What's more, I cannot really see whether my sketches are correct or not - if I cannot "see" the shapes to draw them in the first place, I also cannot see them to check whether the drawing worked out! Even so, I think they're better than some of my blocks and boxes from a few days ago - maybe there's progress. :)

DSC_2405.JPG

Ballpoint pen for the line work, plus HB pencil "wash" for the shading - I rather like this combination of mediums for sketching.

Ai, the cats look comfy stretched out in the sun! What a great porch! Nice work on that interesting tree. Thanks for your comments.

Brian, looks like you did a great job with these blocks.

Today I was in NYC for the Posca Marker workshop I had mentioned. It was given by one of the NYC Urban Sketchers members, Shawne Cooper. We met near "Little Island" and Pier 57 down near 14th Street. She had us bring assorted Posca markers with different width tips. Many of the Posca markers are really bright colors. We selected a few colors to do the big shapes as we looked at "Little Island."Just so you can visualize it here is an actual photo of it.

Screenshot 2024-09-15 at 9.11.57 PM.png

The important thing was to begin with the big shapes and then later go in and add the details. I learned that the Posca markers can be layered. You can put a white Posca marker over a dark color and it covers completely. They can also be blended when they are wet, and softened with water when they are still wet. You can also use other media over the Posca markers. I used Neo-color II crayons on the pants. Here I included my friend, Laura, who was painting in front of me.

17 - something made of fabric (clothing) - Posca markers

IMG_6087.jpeg

17 - free space #2 - Posca Markers
IMG_6085.jpeg

The workshop ended at 1:00. After lunch with a few friends I decided to check out something nearby in the Meatpacking District where 100 life-sized sculptures of elephants were installed. Each of the elephants is unique and is an exact replica of a real elephant now freely roaming on plantations in parts of Southern India. The message of the installation is that humans and animals can live harmoniously in the same space. The elephants are made of lantana, an invasive weed that is taking over forests and displacing wildlife. This journey of this "herd" of elephants started in Newport, Rhode Island and will be in NYC until Oct 20. Then they move on to another city. The elephants are for sale, from $8,000 to $22,000 and the money will help fund projects focused on the idea that nature is good for human beings. I didn't get to see all 100 elephants, but did sketch a few.

19 - animals - watercolors and colored pencils (I left out the many, many people that were surrounding the elephants and posing for selfies with them.)

IMG_6089.jpeg

Here is a photo of part of the elephant herd.

IMG_6082.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6085.jpeg
    IMG_6085.jpeg
    109.5 KB · Views: 1
Sorry i kinda got sidetracked the last few days. As always some great art by some wonder artists.

Scavenger Hunt from Life #130 is up for those on the other side of the world.

Joan, thanks for hosting.

Keep sketching
Fletch

Last edited:
Joan: Thanks.... Wowza on the workshop info. and the result of the island views... Fantastic, indeed. Love the elephant sketch too. Thanks for hosting.

Joan, wow on the cycle shop and cycle. Reflections in the windows are super. The Chalikian is beautiful. That Little Island is amazing, really a sculpture. Your marker work came out great. I like the clothing and the island. So great. The elephants are amazing and you captured them so well.

Ai, lovely work. The museum building is so well done. The cats on the deck are so much fun to see. Love your sketches.

Brian, the blocks and shapes are amazing. Love your different hatching for the wooden look.

Fletch, thanks for coming back from your side-tracking. I'll check the new Hunt.

Thanks Joan for this one, in case I don't get back tomorrow. (today it is after midnight)

Last edited:
On way to pick MissLily up from school... while wait in parking area near the school, then I spotted a tank trailer... Then we all had a dinner at a local Japanese restaurant, hence the soy sauce glass bottle... All done with a 2B pencil...

#11 vehicles...a) an open hood tank truck b) a motorcycle parked along side our traffic jam... I had to part way with the motorcycle before I could finish my sketch properly... the round big thing on the left handle was the helmet...lol

1000005910.jpg

1000005913.jpg

#12 in a bottle ... soy sauce bottle...

1000005914.jpg

Last edited:
Ai, glad to see you had a few more sketches to share for my hunt. That's quite a truck. Love the ease of your lines on the motorcycle. Wish I was having dinner with you. :)

Back