Scavenger Hunt from Life #129: Sep 08 - Sep 16

Copying photos is perhaps, in a sense, today's equivalent of doing Bargue plates - not without use, but I know what you mean. It doesn't feel creative. It's different, perhaps, when you use various photos to do a single scene, compositing in the various elements, combined with imagination etc. I don't have access to life drawing classes for figure drawing, so to learn figures I use reference photos, but it feels different because I never try to make perfect copies of the photos. One uses them to gather information, including 3D information.

Not that I want to knock photorealism. I admire it greatly (I find its fiercest critics are almost invariably people who cannot do it themselves, and then call it "mere copying" - but there is nothing "mere" about copying at that level!). But perhaps it requires a particular kind of eye and patience, that I lack. Nowadays when I look at reference photos, I feel a kind of exhaustion.

One thing about working from life in traditional, physical media: it's completely AI-proof. :)
I really like photorealism especially in graphite. Many of them work from life rather than from photos as at that level the camera filtering and distortion can be seen. Think Jo mentioned she prefers drawing from life because she can see colors, light and shadows better. Looking at some of the photorealistic artists on the internet just blows my mind. Amazing.

Checkout Diego Fabio also known as Diegokoi. Inspiring what you can do with that HB pencil.😎 If you like color check out. Marcelo Barenghi’s color pencil and nixed media
art.

Last edited:
Jo -- I approve of the old man and kid fishing! Perfect for a PT poster, and a good reason to struggle through the PT!

Fletch, thanks. I learned that toast when I was in Spain back in the 70s...Arriba, Abajo, Al Centro, Al Centro. (Above, Below, to the Center, to the Inside) We had a lot of practice with it at the time. lol

I was meeting non-artist friends for a beach day today, so I went a little early to get a quick sketch done of the dunes.
9 - something green (trees and grasses) - direct watercolor

IMG_6047.jpeg

Joan, you use Procreate like a pro. Your style shows through, almost like a watercolor.

I did a very quick regular sketch at Gene’s PT in the little sketchbook with the Acurit 03.
Number 3 in a bottle - hand sanitizer, same brand but the bottle on the left was clear and the right was opaque but see light through it.
csshfl129in-a-bottle.jpg

Tone and I went out to a great new bagel shop in our neighbourhood ...They have astronaut and the moon theme decor...

#8 free space #2 ...hanging astronaut and the moon....done with CP and WC on left page ...and gray Tombow brush pen on right page...

1000005791.jpg

1000005781.jpg

1000005782.jpg

Jo, thank you. Glad the sanitizer bottles came in handy for something other than germs. Nice!

Ai, thanks! Great sketches! What a fun theme!! They have quite a collection of spacemen...it could keep you busy for a while. ;)

Ai, astronauts and moon are very nice and different subject matter to draw/paint.
Did the students notice you were drawing them?

Last edited:
Ai, what an interesting place to find! You did a great job on the circles and curves. More to come!!

moscatel and Joan, thanks. Maybe I will find more exciting “stuff” today.

Number 4, front door and challenge our front door. I did it from inside, too hot out. Micron 03 in the large Canson mixed media sketchbook.

csshfl129front-door.jpg

Last edited:
Moscatel, thanks!!

Jo, smart move to do the door from the inside so you weren't out in the heat. Nice!!

Today the NYC Urban Sketchers met in Oyster Bay on Long Island. We usually schedule a day where the city people come out to Long Island. Oyster Bay has a nice town, a park with a beach area and boats.

I stayed in town and sketched. This is Billy Joel's motorcycle shop. I haven't gone in but apparently it is filled with a lot of his cycles.
12 - something yellow (trim on the building) - watercolors and ink
13 - found on a wall (business sign)

IMG_6068.jpeg

14 - front door - watercolors and ink
15 - something green (plant & trees)
16 - rectangular windows

IMG_6073.jpeg

Thank you all for your kind support of my sketches.

Joan: Thanks. Amazing sketches of both the front door and the rectangles... love the extra motorcycle too. The details of brickworks in both sketches are super. Applaud.

Moscatel: Thanks. Students did not notice me drawing them... I only draw them for a few short sessions...

Back