Scavenger Hunt from Life #1 Nov 10 - Nov 18

Jo, thanks for starting things off and posting the list. Good job on the digital scene out the window and the pen sketch of the steps too.

Ai, love your mug. What a fun shape. Good work on the ellipses too. I like your illustrated open book. Looks as if you are off to a good start filling the sketch book.

MaryKnos, good job on the hand. Not easy to do digital with one hand!

triss, love your oil stick sketches. What a wonderful effect you get with them.

Joan, your "wheels" sketch is great. We get quite a bonus with the fall trees. Like your mug sketch. I have played around with sketch & wash pencil. Aren't they fun?

Here's what I came up with:

20211110_193814.jpg

They took about 30 min total. I did a quick sketch in pencil then added the ink. I colored the flashlight with NuPastel then my waterbrush. I didn't realize until a couple of years ago that you could add water to NuPastel just like a watercolor crayon and it gives nice vivid color. These were done in a Stillman & Birn Alpha sketch book.

Joan, thanks for the mug and love your wheels. You do cars so well, doesn't show much in this sketch but you do. Needless to say we don't use those steps very much and hold on to the door! Most traffic is on the garage side of the house. Evil grin.

Anne, love your blue and the new mug. The mug story is our house burned in the big fire in Bastrop in 2011. I had a huge mug collection and Gene forbid me starting a new collection. Well, I started collecting the cups and mugs in the Scavenger Hunts and love blue. So the going story is the mugs/cups are for me. I use water on pastels to do an under painting for a pastel painting but hadn't thought of your use. Thank you!

And I forgot to say Welcome back to the Hunts, Mary.
Anne welcome to the Hunts. Hope you have as much fun as we do. And I have collected about 50 or so real mugs again .... by accident.

Wow what a great start!

Jo - love the hatching on the hand and shells. Nice digi. Cool getting view of and from porch.

Ai - Nice shading on the mug

MaryKnos - Nice digi, On phone is really tough!

Triss - love the dynamics in the succulent and oil sticks. The ellipses are pretty good. The lamp is excellent.

Ai - The ellipses are good But the open book is my Fav!

Joan - Love the peek at fall colors. Another thing on list of what I miss from NY. Nice shading cup and hand.

Anne - Nice job on mug and pencil. Adding water to NuPastel sounds interesting; it looks great too.

Keep sketching
Joe

Last edited:
Jo - Fab use of the varied textured brushes in the digital sketch, it gives it a great sense of the landscape being viewed from inside - love the effect! And wonderful job with all the scribbly texture for your porch, so lively.

Joan - Stunning light and colour in your watercolour - the shade is just beautiful, and I love how you've picked out the distant cars and signs. You have a really great eye for adding interest to a scene. Great to see the sketch and wash pencil with the water added - love the result and the texture.

ams - Love your ink lines and hatching - very stylish! And the effect of the blue wash on the torch is fun - the water effect with the NuPastels sounds ideal for sketching.

Joe - Glad to see you here for the hunt, hope you have time to do some drawing.

#5 - Mug. Auditioning some new mugs. These three were rubbish choices for my available oil pastel colours! Oil pastel, A2 grey paper.

mugcs.jpg

Jo - Fab use of the varied textured brushes in the digital sketch, it gives it a great sense of the landscape being viewed from inside - love the effect! And wonderful job with all the scribbly texture for your porch, so lively.

Joan - Stunning light and colour in your watercolour - the shade is just beautiful, and I love how you've picked out the distant cars and signs. You have a really great eye for adding interest to a scene. Great to see the sketch and wash pencil with the water added - love the result and the texture.

ams - Love your ink lines and hatching - very stylish! And the effect of the blue wash on the torch is fun - the water effect with the NuPastels sounds ideal for sketching.

Joe - Glad to see you here for the hunt, hope you have time to do some drawing.

#5 - Mug. Auditioning some new mugs. These three were rubbish choices for my available oil pastel colours! Oil pastel, A2 grey paper.

View attachment 12801
Love it!

Oh Scavenger Hunts beginning again! Lovely! I always loved the Scavenger Hunts on WC! Thanks Jo for starting them!

Just when I think I'm caught up, there's an avalanche of fun and inspiration and beauty LOL 😁 Fantadtic work here already!!! Go, go, go 😍

If interested, I just *finally* got caught up with comments on #700 (WC). For those involved over there, or any lurkers, these last comments on pages 6 and 7 were in this order, to these sketchers:

Triss
JoC
joe1
Joan
Joe
EP
Joy
Triss (again)
Ai

Thanks all for your kind comments.

Anne: Lovely blue and cool mystery mug...

Triss: Fantastic set of cups...yummy colors and texture.

Reactions: ams
I did these digi. on Microsoft SurfacePro using MS-Paint software, luckily I have a stylus as my tool. They take me forever though, feeling like 45 min. for both.

#1 - b) another cup for Jo...
#5 fav. sketch tool ... a Paper Mate Flair pen
MicrosoftTeams-image (7).jpg

Jo, thanks for starting things off and posting the list. Good job on the digital scene out the window and the pen sketch of the steps too.

Ai, love your mug. What a fun shape. Good work on the ellipses too. I like your illustrated open book. Looks as if you are off to a good start filling the sketch book.

MaryKnos, good job on the hand. Not easy to do digital with one hand!

triss, love your oil stick sketches. What a wonderful effect you get with them.

Joan, your "wheels" sketch is great. We get quite a bonus with the fall trees. Like your mug sketch. I have played around with sketch & wash pencil. Aren't they fun?

Here's what I came up with:

View attachment 12797

They took about 30 min total. I did a quick sketch in pencil then added the ink. I colored the flashlight with NuPastel then my waterbrush. I didn't realize until a couple of years ago that you could add water to NuPastel just like a watercolor crayon and it gives nice vivid color. These were done in a Stillman & Birn Alpha sketch book.
Hi AMs , thank you for the kind words.
I’m very interested in the NuPastel and adding water, the color on your flashlight is beautiful

Anne, thank you. The Sketch & Wash pencil is fun and a quick way to do something that is a bit more than lines. I'm glad you've joined us. Cute mug with too and a nice sketch of that handy flashlight. I didn't know that NuPastels work like wc crayons.

Jo, thanks. Glad you are using those steps carefully. After my surgery and Jerry's leg I'm very conscious of steps. lol

Joe, glad I can give you a pic of NY autumn colors.

Triss, thanks. It took we a while to find a spot where I could have a good view from the car. It was too windy to sit outside and work. Your super mugs say "Pick me up and use me." Love them.

Nufocus, thanks so much.

Vivien, hi!!! Good to see you here.

Pine Cone, you can't relax with this group. They put up new sketches quickly. lol

Ai, nice digital work. I have to get back to doing some before I forget how.

My sketch group met last night at the library. Our theme was shoes and someone brought a pair of baby shoes that are probably about 40 years old.

4 - shoes - pencil
IMG_9016.jpeg

Anne, thank you. The Sketch & Wash pencil is fun and a quick way to do something that is a bit more than lines. I'm glad you've joined us. Cute mug with too and a nice sketch of that handy flashlight. I didn't know that NuPastels work like wc crayons.

Jo, thanks. Glad you are using those steps carefully. After my surgery and Jerry's leg I'm very conscious of steps. lol

Joe, glad I can give you a pic of NY autumn colors.

Triss, thanks. It took we a while to find a spot where I could have a good view from the car. It was too windy to sit outside and work. Your super mugs say "Pick me up and use me." Love them.

Nufocus, thanks so much.

Vivien, hi!!! Good to see you here.

Pine Cone, you can't relax with this group. They put up new sketches quickly. lol

Ai, nice digital work. I have to get back to doing some before I forget how.

My sketch group met last night at the library. Our theme was shoes and someone brought a pair of baby shoes that are probably about 40 years old.

4 - shoes - pencilView attachment 12823
Beautiful work Joan. How fun an in person sketch group!

Well, there you all are! :D I was looking also at WC in case someone started a thread there.

Jo - Thanks for the list. Great participation already!
PineCone - Thanks for the comment at WC. SInce the 10th was the last day for that thread, I posted to you here.

AI, Joan T, Jo, Joe, Triss (and other regulars)- I only participated sporadically for the last year or so, but your talent, dedication, and inspiration never failed to amaze me each week. :love:

Jo, thank you so much for the list,
what a wonderful start from everyone, I really like what you are posting.
in these days I will make some drawings and comment on the new drawings

Back