Scavenger Hunt from Life #119: Jun 20 - Jun 28

Fletch, excellent sketch. Gene has his vice bolted to a 2 x 12 inch board and then clamps it to whatever work bench, so portable.

Jo, thanks! :)

Ai, great sketch of those cute dolls. You find some great things to sketch.

Fletch, thanks so much. I like your anvil...great lines. Hope it wasn't too hot in the garage to sketch.

I had a good sketch day with my art friends, 1st stop SuriyaCoffee by BangLuangCanal... I bought a garland at the market next to the coffee house.

#5 flower -- garland ... directwatercolor
#6 free space ... canal and the Big
Buddha distant view at SuriyaCoffee ... directwatercolor

1000001826.jpg

The 2nd stop was at the quirky Artist House by BangLuangCanal
#7 red ... a tourist is taking a photo of a small red man sculpture...well this one is also quirky too.

1000001849.jpg

1000001842.jpg

#8 free space ... another side view of the Artist House, with a smaller canal bridge view, and tourists walking over the bridge.... wc and pencil.

1000001855.jpg

1000001853.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Joan and everyone.

Ai, I am smiling. What a great day out sketching and a fun artsy place. You captured the feeling so well. Love the tourists on the bridge. Applause!

Ai, love them all! Beautiful garland, nice long scape of giant Buddha and tourists on the bridge. Red man painting and photo made me smile.

Thanks to all for kind words.

#2 animal I seem to be in a cycle of actual quick sketches. This ibis was moving all over so different parts from different views before I could finish a car pulled in and it took off. The leg position looks weird with its head up. HB mechanical 0.5 pencil in pocket sketchbook.

IMG_2602.jpeg

Keep sketching
Fletch

Ai, I'm so glad to see you have had time to get out with the other sketchers there. I like your sketch with the garland (which is so pretty and I'm sure smells lovely) and your sketches of the canal. The last one is so nice showing the people enjoying the bridge, which has that Venice feel to it. :)

Fletch, you did a good job before the car scared off the ibis. Birds aren't easy to do since they keep moving around when they are on the ground. Glad to see it.

Haven't had a chance to take photos of my recent sketches...maybe later. Have a good day.

Jo, Ai and Joan thank you fir the kind words.

#3 feather - Used multiple grades of graphite in A5ish size sketchbook.

IMG_2610.jpeg

Keep sketching
Fletch

Fletch, yep, so hard to capture moving animals. Yours looks pretty good in shape and lines. Looks like he was looking to dip down for food to me. Love the idea. Your feather is amazing, such nice lines and softness. Wow.

Hi Joan and Ai and all you others.

We went to my eye doctor yesterday. All good to go for another year. Healthy eyes he said. But my eyes were dilated and no sketching. Hard to read up close.

I sketched in the bedrooms today. In the Canson sketchbook with Ohuhu pens and Blick gray markers.

Number 4 animal - on our headboard, only a few of them. Many more on top.
Number 5 umbrella - my old Canadian golf umbrella, it should be much longer as it is wide to cover your clubs and yourself.

csshfl119animal.jpg

Fletch, nice softness to your feather...nicely shaded!

Jo, I see that maple leaf hidden in the folds. Love the collection of stuffed creatures on the headboard. Nice to see them in their natural habitat. lol

I did not bring this candy bar into the house. When Jerry goes to the podiatrist they have a bowl of candy on the counter in the office. He always grabs something thinking I won't notice. I found this next to his seat in the car.

11 - candy - direct watercolor
IMG_0144.jpeg

12 - large blue pots - direct watercolor
IMG_5553.jpeg

13 - flowers - direct watercolor
14 - two trees
IMG_5555.jpeg

Jo, love the shading you kget with the markers. How many shades if gray? Thanks for kind words.

Joan, sitting here before bed trying to avoid desire to snack and you post Twix! Flowers and trees are nice. Eye went to brick wall in back. You are very giid at suggesting detail. Thanks for nice comment.

Keep sketching
Fletch

Joan, thanks, your "natural habitat" made me chuckle. The Twix candy is great. We are all tempted! The big blue pots would be great in my yard! Love that sketch. I'm amazed at the rich colors in your landscapes like the trees and umbrellas and flowers. You didn't count the umbrellas???

Fletch, thanks. There are six markers. Not a lot of difference in the shades. I'll do a swatch. They have a brush end and a square end. You caan see there isn't a lot of change in each group of 2. Almost like 3 markers.

Attachments

• b-marker.jpg
    b-marker.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 5
  • blick-markers.jpg
    blick-markers.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Fletch, glad you like the way I suggested the brick on the wall. Sorry to make you crave a snack. That one didn't last long...maybe 5 minutes after I finished the sketch. lol I've been craving chocolate and haven't had any at home in quite a while.

Jo, thanks. I love big blue pots like that. I've painted parts of that restaurant before. It is a Spanish/Mexican restaurant and the colors outside are so rich. I have a set of grey markers and there are really subtle differences between some of them.

15 - free space - direct watercolor (Painted with my Plein Air group this week.)
IMG_5563.jpeg

The new hunt is now posted here. It will give those people ahead of us in their time zone a chance to get started.

Hi! 👋

Like last year, my "vacation" ( from retirement! ) is keeping me busy. I've been getting my little boat and trailer ready to use. Hope to join you all in the next one! I enjoyed looking at all of your great work in this one!

#9 waste or trash can....trash collector crew boat at BangLuang Canal, it was on the side of the Artist House that I also went the other day...directwatercolor

1000001963.jpg

1000001937.jpg

Hi Ned, hope all goes well. Happy travels. You are going to a part of the States we love and looking forward to sketches across the country.

Joan, I like your trees and the sunshine peeking through.

Ai, wow, nice detail and people. I never thought of boats to collect trash, but guess it is logical. I love seeing your world.

A bit of my world, not as dramatic. In the Little Fingers Sketch pad 9 x 12 inches. About 3/4 of the page with Micron 03. 15 minutes or so.
Number 6 two of something - two mugs, a burned one with melted glass on it that holds my junk on my desk and my new clear double layer glass mug.

csshfl119two.jpg

Back