Sargent and Spain and painting buddies!

Bartc

Went to the Legion of Honor with 7 of my painting buddies to view the "Sargent and Spain" exhibit. I had seen it once before, but what a terrific experience it was to enjoy it together with a bunch of painters! We happily discussed all the paint strokes, the colors and values, the compositions, even the frames. Then we decamped to the Cafe to grab a coffee out on their patio in the lovely warm sunshine for discussions of art and marketing art. Nobody had time left to actually paint, but we didn't miss it, having lived this all together. I'm reminded of how great it is to have people who share such an interest intensely. Happy for your friendship too.

Seeing all those Sargents up close and in person must have been amazing, Bart. I always get the impression that he must have been very confident in his abilities.

Seeing all those Sargents up close and in person must have been amazing, Bart. I always get the impression that he must have been very confident in his abilities.
Donna, "confident" is the word we actually used a lot regarding his brush strokes. You can see and feel it as a painter in all his works. The other two words were "spare" and "restrained". Spare being the few strokes he often used to suggest an incredible array of detail; restrained relating to his limited palette in most paintings. Overall, a true genius whose work is delightful to view, regardless of the wide range of subjects.

Sounds awesome Bart! ❤️
It was, but we nearly got thrown out! Some of the paintings you could have touched if you were risky enough, but others had a low floor height barrier to keep you from getting too close. As painters do, we were pointing to strokes, comp and passages and gesticulating exuberantly. When one of our group (long arms) got too close to the paintings, the guard came over and gestured for us to all back up. An OOPS! moment for sure. Afterwards I walked over to him and explained that we were just a bunch of enthusiastic painters and he laughed. But for other viewers who caught on and started to follow us, we were a better show than docents ever could be....

As painters do, we were pointing to strokes, comp and passages and gesticulating exuberantly. When one of our group (long arms) got too close to the paintings, the guard came over and gestured for us to all back up. An OOPS! moment for sure.
This happens to me almost every time I'm in a museum. I try to be careful but I'm THERE, right in front of art I paid to come look at - so look at it I must! From many angles, because of the lighting. It's not hard to catch the attention of the guards; though I always start with my hands clasped behind my back.

Back