About All I Can Do To Show My Process .. the actual fixing the block in is intensive and I don't have time to stop and show step to step

Enyaw

namuh
Firstly I need to attach my paper to a glass backboard for painting purposes. Glass because it's easier to clean and takes very little in the job of taking as I paint over the sides and that adheres the paper to the glass. In the end I can remove the paper, fix the corner, and then with my knife under the paper I can lift it up and slide it on to a wood support for drying.
1.jpg

And here is the paper I use. Already gessoed and ready to go. Great paper for oil, I might add. I tire acrylic and the paper curled.
2.jpg

And hereis how I store my painings after they are dry or cured as they say. Takes a week or two because the wax is a good drier.
I use the same covers that I took the paper out of.
3.jpg

4.jpg

And here is where I "Plein Air" from. LOL .. This is a 55 inch tv I use as my viewing station.

5.jpg

And this is my dollar storage jar I use to keep paint from the prior day or a few days. It seals air tight. I've been using the same on for going on a year so it works and the seal holds.

6.jpg

And here is my medium. Cold Wax. The jar says Dorland but I use Gamblin as I buy it by the gallon and then scoop it into used jars. As you can see next to the new paint I have globs about 75% as large as the globs of paint. I use a very high ratio. It's recommened such a ratio use boards but I find the paper does not buckle and holds as good as any 1.8 wooden support I have used.

7.jpg

Colors from viewerlef to right. French Ultramarine BLue .. A Grey from the prior scape down and mixing of mud .. Cad Rd Light .. Perm Alz Crimson .. Lemon Yellow .. Indian Yellow .. Tit White .. and I have a Bone Black on the bottom. and a Pthalo Blue Under the FUBlue. The Crimzon is a little tainted from an earlier scrape down. No bIggie.

The big dark puddle is my dark green for trees made of a mixture of French Ultramarine Blue And Indian Yellow .. It is Semi or Fully Transparant .. I don't know. I know the yellow is transparant and I think the blue is semi-transparant. Anyway, it makes a lovely green. It opens up when push on to the white of the paper.
9.jpg

I forgot a step but the light grey green you see (viewer lerf) below the dark clump is my distant green used in the middle of the canvas to open the way so to speak. I mixed in the #4 value grey I had with the green and got this grey green. Then (viewer right, I mixed the grey green with the cad red.
10.jpg

And then I mixed the lemon yellow in the grey red mixture to get a gray red/green mixture. This will be the distant trees in the center.
11.jpg

So there you have the block in .. The sy being pthalo and ultramarine as a blue and white blue as the bottom of the sky. The viewer left is a version of the mixture of grey,red,yellow, lighten up and applied with a brush. The dark trees are the mixture of French UltraMarie and Indin Yellow. The
light green tree is from the mixture of the FrenchUltramarine BLue and Indian Yellow. The grey center is the mixture of Grey, Cad Red, Lemon Yellow, and the shadows are a mixture of French UltraMarie Blue, Pthalo Blue, and Alz Crimson very sparingly. After that its just a fix up; Lighten a value here, lower one there, add a color here and there. That is the fun part. You just have to stay in the layin. Just like plein air. You don't chase the sun. You get your initial values down as quick as you can before they change. You make sure you know what it is about these values that excites you, and then you just play within your initial values.

Fresh Pine.jpg

That's about all I can tell you about my process .. Oh, and when done scrape up the salvalage colors and grab your mix o f grey from all the scraps left on the palette. Then it's back into the storage jar.
019.JPG

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 7
Wayne, have you ever tried the Bob Ross painting knife? It has a wide edge and a narrow edge and the point. It is probably a lot stiffer than you are used to using but is very versatile. And by the way, thanks for sharing your process. :giggle:

Thank you Hermes. Wanted to show how little different paint you need if you keep your paint related.

Thank you Sno. Actually I don’t have that knife. I have one in similar shape but it’s smaller.

Thank you Terri and Sculptcha.

Sculpturcha I have done a large format as you were asking about one lately. It’s not big but 30 x 40 is large when you are working 11 14 mostly. It should be dry today or tomorrow and I will post it when it is dry enough to photograph.

I love seeing this! Thank you for sharing your process with us - I always like to see how others work.

I've used this paper (oil pastels) and agree it's pretty sturdy and oils flow easily. I also mix with a palette knife.

(Aside from these two items we have nothing in common - your work is consistently gorgeous and I'm a meandering mess. :LOL: But I do have fun.) ;)

Thanks so much for this, Wayne! It’s great to get a glimpse of your space and see how you go about making a painting. “Stay in the lay in” will be added to my notes. What’s the white stuff that your leftover paints sit on in the storage box? Nice painting!

Thanks Donna .. I forgot to mention .. those are just old labels I once had printed up .. the back of them are like a wax paper so I just use them upside down to put the paint on. Wax paper will work fine. And yes, get your big block in values right and then you can change in them but make sure you retain the big picture which means keep the big darks dark and the big lights light. Really simple once you get a hold of the principle. I like to knock it down to 4 or 5 values and work from there.

Thanks. Was hoping you'd give some details about your knives/knife work.

Those "paper" pads come in two varieties. Real canvas sheets in a pad and canvas-like textured paper in a pad. I've never used either, so bought one each to try. Looks like you like the canvas-textured paper. No?

Hi Bongo. I‘ve posted my knives a few times. I actually use one. Short three in n blade with a square end . Much like a flat brush. My paper is. 300. I never knew it came in two textures. It’s the pad I posted. I use the bottom one almost exclusively.7.
IMG_0076.jpeg

Last edited:
Wayne keep using what you're using it's working well for you.

What I was talking about is there are TWO types of "paper". One is made of actual paper, gessoed and texturized to look like canvas. That is the type you use. The other is made of actual gessoed sheets of canvas.

It's confusing because when you go to the store they're all packaged the same. The give-away is one will be labeled CANVAS PAPER, the other will be labeled CANVAS PAD. Never used either, so I bought one pack of each to try.

Thank you for that info. Good to know. I order on line so I never see the other stock.

Back