November 2022 Watermedia Challenge

I just recently discovered black watercolor paper - so, like a cat who sees something shiny, I had to have. The paper is awful for watercolor, in the sense that the watercolor just doesn't show up against the black. I tried doing the flowers in both the black paper and using the same pallet, did the flowers on some ordinary Canson paper. I had to use gouache, to actually get the flowers to show up on the black. I would never try watercolor on the black paper again. On the brighter side, the paper held up really, really well to water, and surprisingly dried pretty flat. Anyway, here are the results of my experiment:

PoppysOnBlack.png

PoppysOnCanson.png

Both versions are attractive, CaliAnn! Yes, the black paper has to have the shape painted in white gouache first, then the local color. I bought some Arches black paper and tried smaller cuts of it first, like 5x7. Results are nice, just takes some thought and planning.

Thanks Kay. I don't think I'd have the patience for the black paper, maybe when I'm feeling better, I'll play around with it some more, or even try some other mediums with it. I think both my paintings are fugly! :LOL:

I never heard of black watercolor paper. I have enough trouble with white, ha. You could also use acrylics on it. Maybe even pastels. I like both paintings. You got beautiful rich reds on the black and the watercolor looks so delicate. Lovely.

Thanks Jo! I wasn't even going to post them, but like you, I'd never heard of black watercolor paper before and decided to post them in case others didn't know about them. Yes, I was thinking pastel or acrylic. The paper is Aqua Stonehenge, 8 x 10 pad, 15 sheets on sale at amazon for 11.00. Like I said, the paper held up really well to lots of water (and I use a LOT of water) and dried almost completely flat. Other than the color, I liked it enough, I'm going to see if I can find it in white and give it a try

Thanks, Cali Ann. I do like to use colored paper or backgrounds for pastels. I got a new Canson Mix Media sketchbook for these watercolor practices. I’ve never been fond of Stonehenge papers. I had some of their pastel paper that had a heavy grid to it and was sort of slick/plastic feeling. Years ago so may be improved. Ha.

I do like to use colored paper or backgrounds for pastels
Me too! I LOVE pastels, unfortunately, I can hardly use them any more. The dust was causing me so many health problems. I started using masks waaay before covid started, just to try and control breathing in the dust. I have a ton of pastel paper (I'm a paper hoader - ha!) and pastels that are going unused. That's why I started with watercolors, wanted to be able to paint without getting myself sick. Every now and again, I'll paint watercolor onto pastel paper - just cuz! :LOL:

CaliAnn - I, too, was unaware of black watercolor paper. Like Jo, I want to concentrate on the white. Props to you for trying something new, but I do much prefer the second version. Like you, I use a lot of water. You could easily sell the pastel paper on eBay. If you have a lot of art supplies, they can be sold as a lot.
Sanlynn - Outstanding, as usual. It is so expressive and colorful, while maintaining freshness.
Kay - Wonderful rendering with such personality and love. The way you integrated the BG into the subject is excellent. The way you can consistently produce quality works of art on a daily basis never ceases to amaze!

CaliAnn, interesting experiment. I have seen black w/c paper and wondered how it would work. I guess now I know! Both versions came out well, despite the challenges.

Jo, I've been using Canson XL Mix Media sketchbook for a while. I like it but it doesn't do well if you like to paint with a lot of water. It buckles and doesn't blend as expected wet in wet. If I work in layers and not too wet, I get some good results. I look forward to seeing what you do with it.

Anne- I have the Canson Xl Watercolor sketchbook, and that isn't very good, either. It is 140, but lifts very readily when applying layers. And I like to use a lot of water.

CaliAnn - I remembered that I saw some black watercolor paper on some dot cards that came with Daniel Smith interference colors.

ams: I think the black paper requires a lot of experimenting and time, just to figure out which watercolors create what effects on the paper. I've shelved the paper for now - I don't see myself using it for watercolors anyway.
Joy: I did read about the interference colors - but of course, that was after I already started the flower experiment. I like to work fast with watercolors - so the white paper, I don't think I spent more than 10 minutes on. The black paper, fiddled with that thing for over an hour! :LOL:

Here's my portrait of Ollie. Line and wash in Canson XL Sketchbook. The initial pencil sketch took about 30 min, then I inked it and erased the pencil. The final step is to add watercolor. I worked in layers since the sketchbook doesn't like a lot of water.

This is about 5" square.

20221122 Ollie.png

Anne, That is a lovely likeness and beautifully expressed. You have much better luck with the Canson XL than I do, since I use too much water. I tried the lemur and binned it.

Reactions: ams
Very nice, Christel! Such interesting birds, those woodpeckers, and yours is a charmer!

Back