NOVEMBER, 2021 ANIMAL & WILDLIFE CHALLENGE

Anne
I like your alpaca, he looks like a real character.
Your bird is really well done , he looks so fluffy
and his expression is great [ he looks like a real character too ! :)]
Thanks for posting your WIPs too. I find it fascinating to see how others work.
Cheers,
Patricia

Last edited:
Christel,
Fantastic swan, he glows !
Cheers,
Patricia

Claudia
Really well rendered starfish. i really like the
way you've done the water.
Cheers,
Patricia

Kay
Lovely little chick, he looks like he's about to hop out of the painting !
Cheers,
Patricia

Kay - Sweet, fresh bird.
Anne - Thanks again. I have tried many ways with shadows, but always seems to get the water/paint ratio wrong. It was always stressed to me when watching some TV artitis when I first started that beginners do not use enough water, and i developed a habit of using too much. Plus I overwork. Persistence is the key.

Tanja

Beautiful painting of the swimming piggie and the seagull hitching a ride !
Excellent work!
Cheers,
Patricia

Lesley
I like both of yours especially the piggie -you handled the water colours really well.
I'm always in awe of people who can paint with water colours - I tried them once
and did not succeed !
Cheers,
Patricia

Claudia - great version of the starfish!
Tanja and Penny - love your versions! A great reference and glad you painted it.
Kay - cool little bird! Well done!
Thanks for all the cool comments on my work.

Tanja - I love this! Great work with the gouache. I love the pig's snout especially.

Lesley - good work in both of these. Really like the ink lines, it works especially well on the alpaca hair.

Kay - lovely fluffy chick!

Claudia - Love it! I was going to try to mask out the lights, and have problems with water. I have heard of using a wax resist crayon. Is it just a white crayon or a special one for watercolor paper?
Hi Joy. It's a non-coloured one designed for watermedia (bought a pack of 3 for about £3 online) but I've heard that normal candle wax works too. I've been trying it out for various things. It's fun to play with something new, and it's worked well for some things. It's good for me because I often fail to preserve any white bits. You just have to really keep in mind when putting it down that it's not removable, so it's only suitable for small, textural white highlights. Also, it's really difficult to see where you've put it on the paper, so you just have to hope it's where it should be, and find out later when you put the colour on top!!

You and I definitely have a lot in common with our watercolour struggles! Everything you've said (problems with water, shadows which look like rings, paper too wet or too dry etc) I've been nodding along and saying 'me too'! I've been at it for a few years now, but it's still not coming easily to me at all. I'm so inconsistent. One day I'll do something I'm really pleased with (eg the starfish), and then I'll have a week when everything is a total disaster. Who knew painting could be such an emotional rollercoaster!?

Kay, your little bird is delightful! Very cute and I like the colours.

Nice work Rainowl, I like your loose style and fresh colours.

wonderful, you all did a wonderful job, they are beautiful works of art. it is also very nice to see the passages of some works.
Vivien, beautiful work and those colors. wonderful.
Joy ,, spectacular work.
Schuee, they are all 3 wonderful.
Kay, formidable,
Rainowl2 wonderful job on both
Triduana, spectacular.
Ams, all wonderful.
Cristel, wonderful swan.
Hawkmoth, spectacular, the star and also the wave, the beach.
Tanjaf, formidable

Schuee,
thanks for the beautiful references, difficult to choose, for now, I tried them, they are very beautiful animals.

in the photo they were 3, I drew 2 because I used a5 sheet, so I thought of making 2. I used 2 colored pencils, and finally the mischievous white pen.

the sheet, it bent, bruised, so for the photo, I put the pen on it, as a weight

1.jpg
3 prima di penna.jpg
4.jpg

Joe1lt, love your racoons. You captured their fluffy fur and expressions just right.

EP, what a sweet little lamb. He looks cozy all curled up like that.

Thanks everyone for your comments on my paintings.

Joe1lt - great rendition of the raccoons. Lovely work on the fur, and thanks for the progress pics too :)

E.P. - I like your lamb. I like its ears. :)

Joe1It
This is just lovely ! You really captured the 'spirit' of the raccoons.
Excellent work.
Cheers,
Patricia

Joe, the raccoons were really well rendered. Nice job with the fur. They look like such buddies!

E.P
Very nice lamb, I like his expression.
Patricia

Back