NOVEMBER, 2021 ANIMAL & WILDLIFE CHALLENGE

Morning all. Hope everyone is having a good week. More nice work here.

Eyepaint - sweet looking lamb.
Lazarus - I think you're being too hard on yourself, that's a very decent sketch. I like the head/face best.
Cindy - fab froggy. Great colours, and the eye is really effective focal point.

Thanks everyone for your kind comments on my frog.
Thanks to Schuee for hosting and supplying these sweet images.

frog.png

As much as I loved the pic of the swimming pig, I knew I'd do a much better job with the frog. It's digital, made in Krita. Overall I'm pleased with it, but those feet were a royal pain in the ass and I'm not satisfied with them. I had to give up on them though, to maintain what's left of my sanity XD

Wow, these are all so terrific!!
Vivien - your dog is adorable! So charming and you've handled the bright colours really well. You make it look effortless.
Joy - I'm very self-critical too and prone to feeling disappointed and frustrated (and I struggle with backgrounds too!) so I know how you feel, but these are actually great! I like the one with the background best. To me it looks like it could be moss.
Penny - these are all great, the ink and watercolour technique seems to really suit you! Of course (me being an insect lover) I love the caterpillar best. The zingy yellow background is so unexpected but so brilliant! Love it.
Kay M - I really like your version of the caterpillar too - it's so different from Penny's. It's so stylish and has a wonderful vintage feel. Lovely work. Nice to see your set-up too, and read your comments.
ams - I know nothing about digital art but these look good to me! I especially like the bird, he/she has real substance. I can really feel the weight and fluff of it.
Christel - lovely dramatic swan - very striking. The light on the water is great, it really looks like it's glowing.

I chose the starfish. Size is A5 and I used watercolours + watercolour pencils on NOT paper, plus a wax resist crayon for the water and the texture on the starfish. I'm really pleased at how the wax resist worked.

View attachment 13504
Beautiful work!

Nice work JessieNebulous, your frog is very striking. The face is great, I agree with Patricia, it does have a wonderful expression! I don't think you need to worry about the feet. They look totally fine to me, but also the more neutral colour means they aren't pulling the eye.

Great work on the frog Jessie! The feet look fine to me, they tone well with the background and make him look grounded. I like the background too.

Schuee,
thanks for the beautiful references, difficult to choose, for now, I tried them, they are very beautiful animals.

in the photo they were 3, I drew 2 because I used a5 sheet, so I thought of making 2. I used 2 colored pencils, and finally the mischievous white pen.

the sheet, it bent, bruised, so for the photo, I put the pen on it, as a weight

View attachment 13543View attachment 13544View attachment 13545
You are welcome, joe1lt. I really like your possums. Excellent sketches.

Jessie, what a nice colorful frog. His feet aren't as bad as you think. They look pretty good to me. Nice digital work.

It’s nearly the end of this challenge and I’m looking forward to the new one. Thank you all for joining in, it’s been great seeing all your individual art work.

Penny

Back