Let's paint oils from life!

@triss Thank you! I'm glad you've noticed the colors, I've tried to make it stand out in compensation for fewer details. And yeah I know what you mean, adding details can be like a double-edged sword. That's why I've been imposing some kind of time restriction on my studies, so I can't go too far. I might be more leeway later on, but for now I'm having fun so probably will keep it up for a while.

@ntl Thank you! I'm glad you like it!
Also, your another burning bush is cool. Good practice with the textures. And cool small palette size. Do you have something to mix your paint before putting it on the canvas?

Arty, Dm7, QB, thanks. I use a 9x12 wood or plastic clip board to mix the paint on. If needed, I clip the case to the side.

Hi all! I hope you're having a good month so far.
A small "VW van" 24x18cm still life study of a car toy I have. There's only one thing I regret is painting it on a small canvas, it was hard to be precise with this kind of details. Oh well, it was still a good practice.
Xyjoa6M.jpeg

Sad news: my mom, to whom I dedicated this thread, passed away on Thanksgiving Day. I miss her terribly. It's solely because of her that I got into painting. She was a painter, sculptor, and later in life a quilter and book-maker. She got her MFA from the School of Visual Arts in Manhattan and never stopped making art. Like me, she loved painting from life, so her work fits the theme of this thread. Here's one example; it's sitting right in front of me as I type this. Beth Watson, "Roses," oil on canvas, about 12" x 16."

BWatson+Roses.jpg

So sorry. Been there, it's not a pleasant feeling when mom leaves. We can only hope that is not forever.

Thanks, Wayne. I appreciate it very much.

Also, I want to compliment Dm7 on her portrait of her car toy. Or is it a van? I think cars are a surprisingly difficult drawing challenge. Our brain thinks of them one way, but the shapes are not what we expect. Plus there's always perspective issues with cars. DM7 nailed it here. Well done!

Sad news: my mom, to whom I dedicated this thread, passed away on Thanksgiving Day. I miss her terribly. It's solely because of her that I got into painting. She was a painter, sculptor, and later in life a quilter and book-maker. She got her MFA from the School of Visual Arts in Manhattan and never stopped making art. Like me, she loved painting from life, so her work fits the theme of this thread. Here's one example; it's sitting right in front of me as I type this. Beth Watson, "Roses," oil on canvas, about 12" x 16."

View attachment 14411
Sorry to hear that. this painting is beautiful lovley memory.

Grotius - Sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing your mom's beautiful work with us, I hope that the love of painting and art that she shared with you can continue to be a connection with her memory.

ntl - I'm a bit late commenting on your last window sketch, but I really like the texture and variety of brushmarks for the foliage. Thanks for showing us your little indoor palette - I love seeing everyone's different ways of managing their materials.

Dm7 - Love the colour subtlety on the toy campervan, beautifully done. I think you did a great job with the suggestion of detail at that scale.

Geoff, Sending gentle hugs to you. I'm sorry for your loss. I hope pleasant memories will soon replace your pain.

Geoff, I am so sorry for your loss. (((hug))) That is very recent, and I know it is extremely difficult right now. My deepest condolences to you and your family. It sounds like she was a lovely, talented person who had a huge impact in your life. How wonderful!

Thanks, all! I appreciate all the kind words. I'm feeling a bit better now.

Feel free to keep posting art from life here! I will do so, sooner or later, once life settles down a bit more. (I'm the executor of the estate and am busy with lots of related stuff.) But I'd love to see more of your work here.

Last edited:
Grotius, I'm so sorry to read of your loss and it's good to hear that you are doing a little bit better now. Your mom had some impressive painting skills and that still life is just gorgeous. I hope her work brings you comfort.

To all who have posted paintings here: thank you for so much inspiration! I'm just getting started with oils and your work is inspiring and daunting at the same time. It's really helpful to see how you have interpreted your subjects from life.

I've just browsed this thread and you are an inspiring bunch. My tubes of oil are old and put away. However, I'm thinking of getting them out after seeing all the wonderful work here. I love mostly, the spontaneity.

Grotius: my sincere condolences for your loss.

Haha just in time. I did one today! "Red, Yellow and Green Vegetables" - oil on 27 x 19 cm canvas panel.
95wOARe.jpeg

I always learn one or more things from doing it every time. It is so worth the effort!
Love the peppers and zuccini DM. ❤️

Grotius, thank you for commenting on the pumpkin!
I'm so glad your mom is inspiration for you to paint and I'm sure taught you lot about painting when you were younger. It's nice that you dedicate this thread for her. God Bless!

I post here another pumpkin study wip that I'm slowly working on now. I need to paint next the silverware. I didn't spend that much time thinking on the setup, basically threw the things on the table and started painting. I'm working on other bigger painting too the same time so my pumpkin project is going more slow now. Surface is a self made board. I even "cooked" the gesso myself (you don't really cook it, only heat it). Oil on board, size: quite small approx. 18x22 cm. It doesn't have a name yet.
View attachment 12544

View attachment 12545
Moscatel, this is a great little still life! ❤️

Back