Let's paint oils from life!

Ntl, I love your flower box! Pretty palette, and your yellows are perfect.

Dm7 - you've been posting gorgeous work here! The limited palette pieces are really impressive. Wonderful!

Reactions: Dm7
Dm7 - You get some gorgeous neutrals with that particular palette! Beautiful little piece!

Thank you everyone! I appreciate it very much. Limited palette can be fun to work with. Try it sometimes. ;)
Here’s my two pieces - it’s up to you guys to break my spam streak. 😂

“Pierrefontaine-les-Varans Village” 2 hours oil on 30x20cm canvas panel - it’s the same spot I painted last summer. Did I improve or not? I don’t know, but I feel like I can do more complicated details, so that’s a good start. I started with a brush and ended up doing knife painting the rest because it was faster and simpler. Not sure if I like the look of knife painting though. Limited palette - Winsor red, cadmium lemon, and Prussian blue.
J0iDx8O.jpg

"Pierrefontaine-les-Varans Forest" plein air adventure. Today I felt like getting a little lost and see where it leads me to. Found a spot and started painting. I was pressed against time because my husband needed internet at 4pm and I still had to walk back. Lol that was still a good practice. 2 hours oil on 30x20cm canvas panel. Limited palette, same as above.
Zdkw7Gl.jpg

Have a great summer and hope to see some of you doing this too? 😉

These are both so nice! I like the look you got with the knife; it seems like it would prevent too much fussing. Beautiful light in the forest! It must have been wonderful to be there. I wish I could contribute to this thread but for now I'll just admire the work of those of you who can get out to paint!

Love that woodlands path!
It would be rare for me to paint with oils, and rarer still to paint from life in the heat and humidity of my locale right now :-(

Aw thank you @Donna T and @laika - maybe one day you can contribute.. until then, stay cool! Drink a lot of water! ;)

Here’s my next one: "Bell Peppers in France" - a combination of still life and plein air season. 2 hours oil on 24x18cm canvas panel. Tried a new approach without using solvent by using walnut oil with alkyd as a medium and to clean my brushes. At the end of season, I clean them well with a brush soap. I think it was successful so that means I can paint in winter without having to open the windows! 🥶

v9n5OiA.jpg

GkkNXJs.jpg

OMG! I am in LOVE with Pierrefontaine-les-Varans Village. The style makes my stomach fly! What an incredible painting. Seriously. ♥️

Beautiful work on those peppers, Dm7! The slight blue reflection on the bottom of the green one really does it for me - it's the kind of thing a camera misses. I'm glad you've found a way to paint without solvent.

Thank you @Artyczar - I still am not sure if I like the look of it haha. *shrug* but many people like it.
@Donna T Thank you! That’s why I paint from still life and plein air so I can learn about it and use that for digital illustrations. There’s the magical depth that camera can’t even reach.

"The Rural of Pierrefontaine-les-Varans" 2 hours oil on 30x20 cm canvas panel. I expanded my limited palette to include another blue and earth colors to make it easier to mix without having to desaturate every time. It helps me to focus more in painting itself so I think I'll keep it like that. I stood under a tree s shadow calculating that I would have 2 hours of shade before the sun touched me, but it moved faster than I expected so I believe I got 30 minutes dose of afternoon sun. Free vitamin D I guess. 😂
qkNuvMU.jpg

Last edited:
Another gorgeous plein air, Dm7! Those colors are so very life-like and what a great sense of atmosphere you captured with that beautifully blued hill behind the farm. Nice contrast of hard and soft edges too!

Thank you everyone! I appreciate it very much. Limited palette can be fun to work with. Try it sometimes. ;)
Here’s my two pieces - it’s up to you guys to break my spam streak. 😂

“Pierrefontaine-les-Varans Village” 2 hours oil on 30x20cm canvas panel - it’s the same spot I painted last summer. Did I improve or not? I don’t know, but I feel like I can do more complicated details, so that’s a good start. I started with a brush and ended up doing knife painting the rest because it was faster and simpler. Not sure if I like the look of knife painting though. Limited palette - Winsor red, cadmium lemon, and Prussian blue.
J0iDx8O.jpg

"Pierrefontaine-les-Varans Forest" plein air adventure. Today I felt like getting a little lost and see where it leads me to. Found a spot and started painting. I was pressed against time because my husband needed internet at 4pm and I still had to walk back. Lol that was still a good practice. 2 hours oil on 30x20cm canvas panel. Limited palette, same as above.
Zdkw7Gl.jpg

Have a great summer and hope to see some of you doing this too? 😉
excellent work ... amazing!!!! I rarely ever paint outside, I just looooove to re-think and re-do everything in the studio. but when I see your work I am just in awe....!!!! keep up the good work!!!! Andy

Aw thank you @Donna T and @laika - maybe one day you can contribute.. until then, stay cool! Drink a lot of water! ;)

Here’s my next one: "Bell Peppers in France" - a combination of still life and plein air season. 2 hours oil on 24x18cm canvas panel. Tried a new approach without using solvent by using walnut oil with alkyd as a medium and to clean my brushes. At the end of season, I clean them well with a brush soap. I think it was successful so that means I can paint in winter without having to open the windows! 🥶

v9n5OiA.jpg

GkkNXJs.jpg
great work ... a very good idea to leave the solvents behind .. I always fear that my paintings won't dry quick enough when I use only linseed oil, then again they have enough time to dry anyway. thanks for sharing!!!

Hey Donna, you can also check out "Biobased Artist Solvent" from Art treehouse in Madison , Wisconsin as a brush cleaner during the painting session. You can also use their spike lavendar for thinning the paint during the painting process. I'm solvent free and these products are pretty cool

spike lavender is a solvent: "Spike oil can be used to thin oil paint like other common solvents, such as turpentine. It is also an effective solvent for natural resins..."

If you are using those, you are not solvent free.
You say you are solvent free, and yet recommend that and Biobased Artist Solvent to others. Hmmmm.

I guess I'm back to 'Let's paint oils from life's ... the following are few pleinairs from this autumn at the cabin by a lake. All are oils on board and size fairly small.

IMG_20221009_110920~2.jpg

IMG_20221009_111841~2.jpg

IMG_20221009_111151~2.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20221009_111841~2.jpg
    IMG_20221009_111841~2.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Back