Drawing from sculpture references

P. Barrie

This is in one of my old drawing portfolios. I started from a photo ref of the greek Three Goddesses (Parthenon East Pediment). Then referenced some other sculptures to draw the missing heads and limbs. I don’t recall the other references I used. I had notated the page numbers in the book I used, but cant read them on the drawing now and don’t have the book anymore. Looks like the far left arm is from some Bacchus sculpture.

20BB0FD8-6CF2-49C7-A7DB-30BE9555BDFD.jpeg

Very nice! A little low in contrast on my screen, but very well drawn. I admire the patience and dedication that goes into drawing something complex like this - all those folds of fabric, for one thing! Clever to search out missing pieces from other sculptures.

Lamar, thanks. I’m frustrated that I cannot find the references I used to create the missing parts of the Three Goddesses.

Ayin, Thanks. At one point I thought of researching ancient greek fabric types and colors to make a painting....maybe someday.

Nice drawing.

I was lucky in that my art school was located right across the street from the Cleveland Museum of Art. I made any number of drawings after sculpture... as well as paintings... in the museum collections. I'd need to dig up some of the old, long-buried sketchbooks from this time... if they still exist... to offer any of my efforts. For better or worse, I was an art student well before cell phones and the ease of photographing anything and everything. The majority of my student artworks that exist in photographic form only exist as slides.

thanks Sno.
Stlukesguild, thanks. You are fortunate to have had those experiences. I’d like to see some of them. Why not post if you find them. I would like to camp out at the Met with a sketchbook.
Thanks Joe.
😊

Back