Scavenger Hunt from Life #6: Dec 20 - 28

Jo Castillo

Supporting Member
Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts from Life. The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.

If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:
https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/

Here are the rules for the Hunt:
*All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the list, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
*Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
*Have fun!
*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required.

Scavenger Hunt from Life #6: Dec 20 - 28

alcohol
berry
chocolate
domino (effect or game piece)
eggplant (or other veggie)
footware
gingerbread
holiday item
indigo
jingle
knotted
lock
mistletoe
numbers (something with)
open book
poinsettia or other flower
quarter
radio
strawberry or fruit
tree
umbrella
vanilla
western
xylophone
your choice
zigzag

Challenge to sketch in order.
Feel free to substitute.

Thanks for the new list Jo! Hopefully I'll get some sketches done this Hunt.

Vivien, hope you get to sketch, too. Busy time!
By the way, footware is footwear. Sigh....

Thanks for the list Jo... don't worry of English spelling. These always illusive for the Thai people to get them right, like pls "excuse" me or pls "execute" me ... haha

Jo , thanks very much

1 western

2 your choice, cat ,
western,
it's a small figurine, on top of a drawer from my parents,
he is a man with a beard, pipe and a rifle, sitting with the dog next to him, he was from a distance and it was difficult, so no dog, and some things change, such as the position of the leg, the chair.

2, is a stray kitten.

curious object, reassuring,

even though they're close and it looks like, no, he's not shooting the cat anyway. they are together by chance, I reassure

Gat.jpg

this time, including the watch of the previous hunt, they are new subjects,

so, from the next drawing I think I can go back with Eeyore

Thanks for the list Jo... don't worry of English spelling. These always illusive for the Thai people to get them right, like pls "excuse" me or pls "execute" me ... haha
You made me laugh, Ai. Thanks!

joe1lt, love the kitten. Happy the western guy didn't shoot him. Great sketching!

Hope to sketch later....

ink and marker on 5x8" toned paper.

1. can of alcohol
2. (bowl containing) blueberry
3. domino (effect or game piece) - chess piece
4. eggplant (or other veggie) - egg
5. holiday item - ball for Xmas tree 2017 (4 years already!)

hunt006.jpg

Cheers,

Jo, thanks for the new list. I see you snuck poinsettia in the hunt. I'll have to sketch mine again for this hunt.

Ai, lol "excuse" and "execute" can be deadly to mix up.

Joe 1, he's in trouble if the cat next to him is that large. lol Nice job on the details on the kitten

EP, I guess we cross-posted. Good job on the chess piece, Coors can, the ornament and that poor lonely blueberry in the bowl.

I'm off to make some cookie dough. Maybe I can sketch a bit after that.!

Hi to All!
I have not been "lurking" exactly :), but I have been peeking at the hunt often since you started here at CreativeSpark, and it has been really great! So many great works and great to see the hunt is so active. This seems like a really great place to me.

Joe1t -- I've been enjoying your drawings. Like the sense of depth on the cat.. and that's it's an impression.

EP -- Hi! I like the darker grey and white on the toned paper, that looks good!

I haven't been drawing much lately. I managed a couple of sketches in November and before that one in May and before that February. I'm ready to be done with 2021, it was a rough year. Taking a couple weeks off for the holidays and so happy my daughter was able to come home for the holidays too. Hoping to do more than just one for this hunt!!

#1 Mistletoe -- in a black locust tree at Luther Burbank's experiment farm near Sebastopol in California.
IMG_1183rs.jpg

This is the tree, but from a different angle than where I was drawing:
IMG_1182rs.jpg

I hope you all have wonderful holidays.
-Ned

I did not sketch. Getting ready for the daughter and the granddogs tomorrow. I forgot to put animal or dog on the list. Maybe they can be a holiday item since they come to visit at Christmas. She, Jennie, is the daughter of the coffee table sketchbook. I wonder if she will notice it is wrapped under the tree?

EP, oooooh, I like the can of alcohol and the egg-plant. Clever... Nice blueberry and bowl. Chess, I never really played. I knew the moves of the pieces. I like games where I don't have to plan ahead and use logic. So crosswords or card games. Hasn't the time flown by from 2017 ... I guess 20 and 21 were so different.

Ned .. hey there! fun to see your mistletoe. I don't think I have any artificial sprigs. Very nice drawing and thanks for the photo.

Joan, I think you put your first sketch on Hunt #5. I like it a lot. Alcohol (wine) and in a blue bottle!

Thanks for an interesting list Jo, I hope to get time to do a few sketches this hunt.

Joe, Eyepaint and Ned - you're all off to a good start, great sketches all of you

thank you all for the nice words.
eyepaint, wonderful design series

NedL, I really like the painting of the tree

Ned, glad you decided to join us. Good job on the tree. Enjoy your daughter while she is home visiting!

Jo, thanks for letting me know I posted in the wrong hunt. It seems like doing that is contagious. lol I am sure you will enjoy having Jennie and the granddads visit for Christmas. Once again I won't be seeing my side of the family for Christmas, but as still hoping to go visit Michelle after Christmas. We will spend Christmas Day at Jerry's cousin's house with his side of the family.

Since I apparently posted my first sketch on the wrong hunt, I will repost it here with the ones I did today.
1 - alcohol - watercolors and ink
IMG_9223.jpeg

2 - poinsettia - Elegant Writer pen
IMG_9226.jpeg

3 - vanilla - (this bottle has been used a lot lately) watercolors and ink
IMG_9227.jpeg

4 - holiday item from my tree - watercolors and ink
5 - fabric gingerbread ornament - watercolor and ink
IMG_9228.jpeg

Jo , thanks very much

1 western

2 your choice, cat ,
western,
it's a small figurine, on top of a drawer from my parents,
he is a man with a beard, pipe and a rifle, sitting with the dog next to him, he was from a distance and it was difficult, so no dog, and some things change, such as the position of the leg, the chair.

2, is a stray kitten.

curious object, reassuring,

even though they're close and it looks like, no, he's not shooting the cat anyway. they are together by chance, I reassure

View attachment 15507
It does look like he is about to shoot the cat in the eye.😊. Love the fur texture on the cat .

Keep sketching
Joe

ink and marker on 5x8" toned paper.

1. can of alcohol
2. (bowl containing) blueberry
3. domino (effect or game piece) - chess piece
4. eggplant (or other veggie) - egg
5. holiday item - ball for Xmas tree 2017 (4 years already!)

View attachment 15542

Cheers,
Nicely drawn set of sketches. You have me hooked and wanting to draw on toned paper all the time but I have several sketchbooks to finish first. Am strangely drawn to the Coors even if it is Light. 😇

Ned, glad you decided to join us. Good job on the tree. Enjoy your daughter while she is home visiting!

Jo, thanks for letting me know I posted in the wrong hunt. It seems like doing that is contagious. lol I am sure you will enjoy having Jennie and the granddads visit for Christmas. Once again I won't be seeing my side of the family for Christmas, but as still hoping to go visit Michelle after Christmas. We will spend Christmas Day at Jerry's cousin's house with his side of the family.

Since I apparently posted my first sketch on the wrong hunt, I will repost it here with the ones I did today.
1 - alcohol - watercolors and ink
View attachment 15581

2 - poinsettia - Elegant Writer pen
View attachment 15582
Love the shading on the poinsettia. Mmmm Pinot Grigio will go nice with the fish feast on Christmas Eve. (Another thing I miss from NY.)

Keep sketching
Joe

Back