Watercolor sketches inspired by Shibasaki

Thanks so much - I never expected to get so many replies! Working a variety of unexpected colors into paintings is something I am trying to acheive, rather than just duplicating local color.

Working a variety of unexpected colors into paintings is something I am trying to acheive, rather than just duplicating local color.
It seems to be not uncommon for some of us to have a very literal approach to painting. I applaud your efforts to loosen up and find new color interpretations 👏

Lamar - Your kind comment really made my day. I do not believe I have received applause for anything, except perhaps leaving a room. :D Interpretation of a subject is very challenging for me, as I don't want to just be a copyist. But then the perfectionist in me wants to get things "right". No one I have met is trying to "tighten up". :) My memory of the quote in the movie Art School Confidential may not be spot on, but there is a scene where John Malkovich's character proudly points to a lone solid black triangle on a white background. He then stated, "It took me years to learn how to paint like that."

Both of these are wonderful pieces. the pineapple is my favorite. I like the way you handled the leaves.

Jane, thank you! I appreciate that you took the time to look and comment.

Back