Scavenger Hunt from Life #126: Aug 15 - Aug 23

Thanks y'all.

Super sketches, Joan and Vivien. Glad to see your sketches Viv.

#4 sunset orange...beefsteak chunky tomato...done with markers

1000004924.jpg

Last edited:
Joan, thanks. The eggplant is so yummy looking, love purple and green. Your bricks look great and the whole scene is amazing.

Vivien, your kiwi is so fuzzy wuzzy. Makes me smile and great job on the shape, letters and colors on the hand cleaner.

Ai, WOW! What a beautiful tomato. The name, beefsteak, makes me hungry a second time. The plant really pops. You use markers well, too.

PaintBoss, clever find for lavender.

We are off to a music afternoon to benefit the Empty Bowl project. You buy bowls and listen to music to benefit the food pantry in Austin. May sketch a little and will have a new bowl to sketch. Ha.

Have a great day and weekend.

Joan - Can almost smell the lavender. Great apple and plump eggplant.well done on an ambitious street scene.

Ai - lovely work on avocado and mango. Super tomato. Great find on granny smith apple.

Jo - love how you captured textures with line. The hard woodruff and soft pillow.

Vivien - super kiwi like the strong clean lines on the bottle.

Christine - Clever find on lavender and well done.

#1 Pine Green or a tree - (Now remember I am a beginner so no laughing.) Direct wc on a scrap piece of watercolor paper brand unknown. Wanted to play with wc a bit. Sat on lanai before it got too hot.. Goal was to make it look leafy and see how many greens I could make. It was fun.

IMG_2704.jpeg
IMG_2706.jpeg
IMG_2705.jpeg

Keep sketching,
Fletch

Last edited:
Thanks so much Christine, Jo, and Fletch.

Fletch: Cool watercolor green landscape.

Christine, thanks. I don't make anything other than eggplant warm or eggplant rollatine. Great work on that bottle of pills...love the lettering and design!

Vivien, thanks so much. I like the texture on the kiwi and the sanitizer from the oil pastels...a medium I don't do much with.

Ai, that tomato nearly jumps off the page. Great job on that and the potted plant.

Jo, thanks. Have fun at the benefit. Enjoy the music and I'll be watching for the sketches of the new bowl.

Fletch, many thanks. You were able to come up with quite a variety of greens in that landscape. Nice!!

I went to Manhattan today with the NYC Urban Sketchers. We were at the Highline, a park created on a former elevated train spur from the NY Central Railroad. We went to sketch the area and a sculpture called, "Old Tree" by artist Pamela Rosenkranz. It is a 25 foot-tall sculpture shaped like a realistic tree, but constructed from man-made materials. It is reminiscent of the tree of life that connects heaven and earth, but often reminds people of the branched systems of organs, blood vessels, and tissue of the human body. This sculpture is part of a series of commissions that change every 18 months. It will be leaving shortly and replaced by a sculpture of a giant pigeon...that will be so very New York!

7 - sunset orange colors - water-soluble ink and watercolors

IMG_5828.jpeg

8 - robin's egg blue tones to the buildings - watercolors

IMG_5830.jpeg

There is a unique structure and visitor attraction built as part of Hudson Yards Redevelopment Project near the Highline called the Vessel. When it opened you were able to climb all the way 100 floors up...definitely not something I would want to do. It has been closed to the public since 2021 when a few people died by suicide at the site. Apparently they are working to make the structure safer.

9 - copper color - direct watercolors (It started sprinkling while I was painting so this kept getting wet while I was working.)

IMG_5832.jpeg

Last edited:
I love your landscape Fletch.❤️ A lot of punch in that small painting!
And thanks for the comments.
Thanks Joan. I’ve had eggplant in curry. And it was good. But I did try some later and it was just so bitter. And I read how to combat that with salt. Lots of salt, and that gets rinsed off. When I tried it with those instructions, it still turned out too bitter. So I avoid it because I think it’s a little bit tricky.
Joan, those are wonderful sketches you’ve done! The tree is gorgeous. You got a lot accomplished getting all that down. How long do you usually sit for with your group at a location? I imagine the urban sketchers in New York City has to be pretty awesome! And my goodness, you have so much to sketch!🙂🙂

Christine - Nice drawing on the Gucose bottle!
Fletch - Great work on mixing those greens! I find greens difficult also.
Joan - Love your tree sculpture, and the landscape. Good color for copper on the sculpture. Sad that people climbed to suicide!

Last edited:
Well, I didn't end up sketching. The music was great, I guess the three performers were Texas folk?? Texas song writer singers. I did "win" some auctions. I should just donate we have so much "stuff". No place to put the items and probably won't use them. A big casserole that looks a little like a loaf of bread or a pillow?? A large pitcher with two glasses. And the two bowls that come with the tickets. All hand made pottery. I'll get a photo tomorrow. Definitely sketching items. Very heavy, it was a shopping bag full. Oh and two t-shirts from past empty bowl projects so $10 a piece. We got some Jimmy John sandwiches and came home. Joanna went to the Bugle Boy tonight. Rocking blues and full house tonight she said.

Fetch, you did a good job on the trees. Excellent! And so small. Just lovely.

Joan what a great day out with the group. The tree sculpture is amazing. The city scene is lovely and you found umbrellas and so much more. The Vessel is very coppery and sad story with it. Your drawing is great. I've heard about buildings and bridges they try to block off or screen off to prevent suicides. Shame.

Vivien we were cross posting. Your bag looks soft and used, seems a good sample of Manatee Gray. We used to have salmon patties on Fridays in New Mexico, no fresh fish at our house. You did nice ellipses and letters on the can. Pretty purple pen.

I am so enjoying all the finds for the Hunt!!

Very nice Vivien! Good observational skills on display.🙂
Jo, sounds like a very fun time. Can’t wait to see what I items you will draw from your looty bag!

Hi, we stop at a garden style cafe, next to a giant lake park the other side of Bangkok called BuengNongBon. We were here to scout a location of a host school that Miss Lily has to take a special science competition test next week. We indulge in many items...

#6 salmon color...Tone's strawberry smoothie
#7 sand colour...our cappuccino flappe
#8 mahogany color...a triangle meat pie

1000004961.jpg

1000004962.jpg

1000004963.jpg

Back