Scavenger Hunt #57-Feb 11 - 19

I love the rich colors y0u get from colored pencils, but alas, it is almost impossible to get any camera to reproduce them accurately, so much of the richness is lost in reproduction.
That's true, especially the red and yellow colours. The monitor of your computer and camera has some influence at this as well. If I'm looking at the pictures on my phone the colours are more saturated than on the laptop. Maybe by taking photo, the colours on your leaves have lost some richness, but they still vibrant and vivid.

Ai, you're surrounded with beautiful plants and flowers.

I usually buy red ones, but once in a while a yellow one is nice too.
I like the greens, the yellow, and red are for my daughter. They commonly in 3 pieces set - red, green, and yellow.
I assume they are jalapeno peppers which are my favorite.
Yes, it's jalapeño. I like them too.

Okay, this is something from a drawer rather than in a drawer, but whatever... :)

2023 SH57 Ink and matches.JPG

Ink bottle and matchbox. Ballpoint and graphite pencil on printer paper.

Sylwia, mmmm, the bottle and pepper is excellent. I like the way you use color and do the backgrounds. The red onion is great.

Brian, the leaves are beautiful. The colors look rick and full on my iMac. Nice work. The ink bottle and matches are so nice. Could pick them up and use them.

Ai, such pretty purple flowers, almost like two in one. Lovely.

Joan, you really look for fun things to sketch. The gazebo is super. Love the Moonbeam shop. Cutie dolls. These make me smile.

Paul, your drawer looks pretty neat inside. I need to find one without too much stuff. Ha. Clever for outdoor furniture and well done.

Thanks to all of you, fun to see all the sketches. Hi to all the others.

Was at the dentist yesterday. In the Ohuhu sketchbook with a Micron 03 and added the watercolor at home late last night.
Number 4 indoor furniture - The bench is very long, 5 sections. Must have been in the train depot years ago, they remodeled the building more just built from foundation up. Not very comfortable but never have long to wait.
Number 5 two feet - a patient, I was in such a hurry as no one sits long
Number 6 free space - the corner of the Lost Pines Art Center across the street. Rock, siding and tin roof.

csshfl57two-feet.jpg

Joan- you attained roomy space and atmosphere in a small paper! Cool hose carriage! i bet there are lots of great things to sketch in a museum. I would have definitely gotten stymied by all the spokes. The firefighter has a spookie vibe.. sweet, sweet animal sketches.

sylwia- lovely interpretive sketch of hyacinth really like the white gel pen touches. Wow wee snappy pepper… you get special mention for different mediums

Mpaull- lovely drawer sketch the juxtaposition of the closed neighboring drawers with an open one makes me feel like I’m sneaking a peek…..super grill grays -simple and accurate…love it

Ai - lovely purples and green hyiacth, lush vegetation …I like the cat sketch. The details on the paws and subtile gray shadows help it along nicely. Vegetation and background browns building is good contrast makes the feel of the surrounding deeper

JoC. Thanks for the sweet valentine wishes. Nice detail on te table leg, neat pattern sketch….makes m eyeballs feel fuzzy

Brian- super job on the wooden toy- perfect heft and texture to the old wood can almost smell the antique object. Never tried mixing ballpoint and graphite. Looks like it works well for you . Lovely, lovely set of leaves. I like how your inclination to draw them is fulfilled so nicely. That’s a great feeling. I have little pieces like that I adore because I remember what a gift the whole experience was.

Sylwia- great colors- turquoise and plum. Red onion I think. Like the ridges background…did you place something under the paper and rub? That’s a cool trick. I like seeing all the healthy foods you eat.

Brian super job on ink bottle and matchbox. Ink does comes in bottles. Lovely sketch

Jo C - we were at dentist too….Tom is getting new dentures after 30 years. The dentist took one look and she said “Oh, I see we have some superglue work! :>) Nice waiting room sketches. I like the lap and boots a lot. Fun body language catch!

1- body part
2 texture. Ribbing on sleeve cuff
3 has gears candy machine
4 pattern
5 in public car showroom
6 view from above- lap with sketchbook on knees

did these while tow hr car service and it went by fast and was not as costly as initially thought
E75F3091-5406-485B-97BB-92C587EE68FC.jpeg
8CF51AFD-1FA0-461F-8543-D9AD5173E014.jpeg
CFB1D8BD-A987-4C17-869B-CF9E3C0B41FA.jpeg
8C2D5C00-1516-47B0-8299-6A882B908723.jpeg

Paul, nice lines on the grill and the drawer. What will ya be grilling? Thanks for the comments. I had to chuckle when I read the comment about the moonshine...I guess we see what we want to see. lol

Brian, both the matchbox and the bottle of ink are so well done. Love your lettering!

Jo, thanks. As you know it is always fun to find something different to sketch. I like your sketches from the dentist's office. I especially like the one of the lady with the high boots. Glad you were up late and added the color. It really livens them up.

Robin, the spokes were really hard to do. I kept counting to make sure I had all of them on the first wheel and then realized I had 3 more to go. Yikes!! The firefighter did look a little spooky. Your hand sketch is treat, but it is that cuff that is really wonderful. You sketched the stitches so precisely! Looks like a fun candy machine.

12 - has different ends (baseball cap) - watercolors and ink
13 - pattern on red coat

IMG_1830.jpeg

Joan: Wow at those exquisite glorious details... Bravo !!!

Robin: Thanks. Your dazzle lines always amaze me... Love them all.

Jo: Beautiful line inks with colors that warms my heart.

Robin, love your hand and sleeve. Great find on the candy machine. Lovely sketches at the car repair. Thanks.

Joan, super Not Just Bows shop. Love the coats and hats. Wow. Very entertaining to look it all over. Great textures and shadows. Thank you.

Ai, thanks and hugs.

Lot more nice sketches will be back to comment later...

#6. My Favorite Animal --- Heads of Humans .... went to TD North Garden to sketch with the Boston Urban sketchers. I found a Ramen Restaurant and bought a spicy vegan ramen it was delicious... I sketched people sitting around me while I chowed done the ramen.. pen
and ink in my 8.5" x 11" sketch pad.

Animals.jpg

Hi all! so nice to (re)join! (formerly "bearstar" on wetcanvas)
and so very nice to see so much great work!! INSPIRING!

i'll do a quick post as i get accustomed to a new process

from the Butterfly Place in Westford, MA
opening day was tuesday
graphite & colored pencil on drawing paper
20230214_161111.jpg

~stephanie

Paul - great job on the foot. Yahoo FOGG museum
Ai - oooh freighters! Leaves! Yahoo purple flowers! Lovely greenery :)
Jo - yay stuffed hedgehog :) Yahoo stuffed doggie :) Aha stealthy sketch of legs :)
Joan - yahoo Faithful and Fearless display sketches! Yahoo firefighter mannikin. Yahoo animals! Yahoo shipyard! Yahoo dolls!
Sylwia - juicy hyacinths :) Sool art tool. Great idea for "has different ends"
Brian - yay wooden truck! Oooh leaves!
Robin - oooh candy machine! how fun the tow service was speedy and less expensive than expected.
Stephanie / bearstar - welcome! Great b-fly sketches

Ai, your fellow diners all came out well. Sounds like a yummy lunch. We went for Thai for lunch today. Small place but good food, in Texas it is probably not up to your standards. Ha. I'll try to sketch next time.

Stephanie, happy to see your quick sketches. Fun finds on your items.

Many thanks for the comments Ai, Jo, and EP!

Sylwia, your porcelain rabbit came out great! Love the shading.

Paul, fun sketches of all the people!

EP, the fuzzy slippers made me smile. Great hand and whisk. That spiral notebook needs some sketches. :)

Stephanie, so great that you found us to (re)join. The Butterfly Place looks and sounds so interesting.

Today I joined the NYC Urban Sketchers at the Museum of Natural History.
14 - related to something I did today - watercolors and ink

IMG_1841.jpeg

15 - free space (the blue whale at the museum) - watercolors and ink

IMG_1842.jpeg

Back