Scavenger Hunt #57-Feb 11 - 19

I did these in front of my kind neighbor's home. She let me sketched her bloom and her cat.
#4 another free space ... a purple vine in bloom at my neighbor ... done in directwatercolor
#5 animal ... sorry my directwatercolor of my neighbor's cat seems questionable ...lol
h57_flower_a.jpg

h57_flower_b.jpg

h57_animal_a.jpg

#6 sub. a relating thing I did yesterday with... relating thing I did 2 days ago (sketching at Samutsakorn)... today I try to survey a new sketching spot at Samutsakorn again and Tone and I found this lunch place, full of ferns and green plants. I will definitely come back to sketch more.

h57_ferns_a.jpg

h_57_plant_b.jpg

Last edited:
Paul - Props on being first. Nice shading. Nice museum sketches. Love the arches.

Ai - Love the ships. The leaves and pods are great. Think you missed an item. In the bottom photo of all your pads you have two mangrove trees which could count as “wood”. Well done on the flowers and ferns. I am going to assume the whole in the cat is artistic license.😂

Jo - the hedgehog is so cute! Already feeling bad knowing you are going to wipe him out.

Joan - Love the museum paintings plus the history info! Thanks. Props on the excellent ellipses!

Sylwia - Hyacinths look like a fun and interesting multimedia piece. Very creative.

Keep sketching
Joe

Lovely paintings Ai and I really like the cat.

#2 art tool - oil pastels on A5 kraft paper. I've received a set of oil pastels yesterday. I did use some oil pastels or rather it was wax pastel pencils before, mostly in my childhood. It was really fun trying it again. Probably I'll explore and experiment with my new drawing medium more.

11.jpg

Joe, Robin: Thanks

Jo: Thanks, the hedge hog is well drawn (love the color) but he is a bit on the ugly side

Ai: Thanks, nice sketches for flora, mangrove parts, sketch trip nice sketch at Samutsakorn

Sylwia:
Thanks, nice flowers, paitn roller, and pepper. Those oil pastels are beautiful I particularly like the pepper
with the colorful shadow is very nice

Joan: Thanks, Great sketches of the NYC Fire museum they are all well done my favorite is the fireman mannequin

Happy Valentine's Day! (A sketch from 2021)
valentine-pup.jpg

Thanks, all y'all.

Joan, the firehouse sketches are so good. Nice to be out with friends and see and journal so much. Double applause!!

Sylwia, your flowers are adorable and appropriate for todayl Good for mixing up the media.

Paul, good for you to get out and about as well, the pot is so interesting and cool. Super perspective on the arches and columns.

I sketched on my footstool day before yesterday in the Ohuhu sketchbook with the Ohuhu pens.
Number 2, wood - the glass topped table
Number 3, pattern - on the footstool

csshfl57wood2.jpg

Ai, that hanging purple vine is just wonderful! Good capture of the silhouette of the cat. Nice foliage in the sketch at the lunch place. You and Tone visit so many great places for sketching.

Sylwia, nice work with the oil pastels. I never seem to do well with them. Great thinking for something having different ends. You captured the sheen on the pepper so well.

Paul, thanks so much. I wasn't sure if I should add color to the firefighter mannequin or not. It looked good as just an ink drawing, but I went for it. I started a second one but didn't have time to finish it.

It was a mild day yesterday although breezy. I thought it might be a good day to get out and sketch outdoors at the Suffolk County Farm Museum. There are quite a few animals there.

4 - animal (rabbit) - water-soluble graphite
5 - has 4 legs (pig) - graphite

IMG_1814.jpeg

I was glad to see that some of the cattle were in the enclosure waiting to be fed. Usually when I am there they have them way out in a field and I can't see them to sketch them. I found out that the cow I sketched is named Buttercup.

6 - body part (faces) - graphite

IMG_1816.jpeg

7 - free space - watercolors and ink

Happy Valentine's Day, everyone!

Attachments

• IMG_1789.jpeg
    IMG_1789.jpeg
    101.9 KB · Views: 40
An adorable Valentin's Day sketch Jo. Interesting shape of the footstool and nice pattern on the table.

Joan - Cute animals. I love the rabbit. Looks very soft. Delicious and elegant looking cupcake.

#3a has different ends - oil pastels on watercolour sketchbook - 12 × 16 cm

13.jpg

Joan, I wondered where you would find a cow. I just love cows. The rabbit is precious and the pig looks way too comfy. Sly old goat, they are tricky. Good job on all. My mom named all the cows at the ranch, I guess it's a cow thing .. she didn't name other animals.

Sylwia, love the different ends!

Brian, the wooden truck is precious. You have such good ellipses and shading, I could pick it up.

Later, ......

Sylwia, thank you. Love the green pepper against the red background! Nice interior too.

Brian, great shading on the toy truck. Love the details of the cracks in the wood!

Jo, they used to keep the cows in closer until volunteers built fencing way out in the pasture, so I haven't seen the cows close up in quite a number of years. I loved seeing them at feeding time all lined up by the feeding troughs. They ate slow so I had plenty of time to paint them back then. It is funny how there were 5 cows standing around but the lady from the farm only told me Buttercup's name. Maybe she saw which one I was sketching.

#4 ingredient commonly used for breakfast, lunch, or dinner - yellow pepper

#3b has two different ends - bottle
oil pastels on oil pad with canvas effect surface 24 × 32 cm

14.jpg

Related to something I did yesterday, and today for that matter: wandered around in the garden and thinking how much I enjoy drawing old, weathered leaves, and that it was high time I did another batch. This bunch in ballpoint and colored pencil. I love the rich colors y0u get from colored pencils, but alas, it is almost impossible to get any camera to reproduce them accurately, so much of the richness is lost in reproduction.

2023 Weathered leaves.JPG

Sylwia, until you start looking you don't realize that so many things have different ends. Nice bottle and bright yellow pepper. I usually buy red ones, but once in a while a yellow one is nice too.

Brian, I think your camera captured the richness of you leaves really well. Nice to see the different way they all weather.

Ai, thanks. Lovely purple vine. It is nice to see colorful flowers when nothing here is in bloom. We just have the drab browns.

8 - in public - watercolors and ink

IMG_1829.jpeg

9 - wood table - watercolors and ink
10 - texture on the tree bark

IMG_1823.jpeg

11 - free space (My sketch group had dolls and action heroes as a theme last night.) - watercolors and ink

IMG_1826.jpeg

Jo: Thanks... Great Valentine's Day Puppy love the texture, fancy glass top table, and nice work on the pattern

Joan: Thanks.... personally I like the color on the fire fighter. Great animal sketches the rabbit, pig and goat are very
well done. Great looking cup cake looks delicious well done. The sketch of the gazebo is very nice. Bob's
place looks interesting at first I thought it said moonshine... hmmm ok so that where you buy you liquor. Nice work
on the dolls my grandniece would love to take them home for sure.

Sylwia:
another great pepper I assume they are jalapeno peppers which are my favorite. They find their way into
many of the things I cook. The yellow pepper and fruit drink are great, love the color in your shadows,

Brian: Great wooden truck very impressive shading, those leaves are fantastic, I never thought of combining
colored pencil and ink, very nice and thanks for doing that.

Ai: The color of the purple flowere vine is great, really like it very much. I am going to have to get back to
Thailand again soon... your sketches of Thailand bring back some great memories thanks

Back