Scavenger Hunt #11 Jan 29 - Feb 6

Ai, I really like your plants. The fern has such a graceful form. The digi flower is great. Clever background, like toned paper. Cool.

Triss, I can’t do a painting a month it seems like. Sketching keeps us going. You captured the purple leaves so well. Love it.

I've been lurking too and not got much done this week - and what ! did do was not from life so not for here - but I've enjoyed seeing all the work.

Joe - I do like your Eeyore sketches, I'm struggling to make out the birds though with my eyesight just now

Joan - good to hear your cataract surgery went well, I had my pre-op assessment yesterday so just waiting now for the op date. I'm so impressed with your sketching between drops Not sure what magic pencils are but liking the sketches you are doing with them

What a lovely colourful bottle cover Jo, made me smile. Hope Gene gets his op call soon too, Yummy looking bag of cookies on fun background, great shine on the bag

ntl, Good texture on the toothbrush sketch

Ai, good to hear your daughter is ok, it takes a while to get over the worry that will have given you all. Good sketches, especially the hands Lovely plant sketches while waiting for your food

Lovely shading again in your bathroom 'bits' sketch Anne

We had a day with little wind and some sunshine Triss but back to strong winds and intermittent hail showers that sting like crazy because of being wind driven - got caught out by one when I went out to feed the birds - ouch! Good to hear your power stayed on, we had a few flickers but been ok so far. Wonderful light in the graveyard and nice grouping for the two still life sketches, love how your style gives such liveliness to 'still' Good purple plant study too, is it a coleus?

Hi Joe, hope you're enjoying your course. I'm just about to start an online class with a local artist here = not a course as such, we get 30 mins one to one tuition each week working on something we want to improve

What a lovely splash of summer Viv, our first snowdrops are just beginning to show so garden life is returning slowly but surely

Wow!,, I have written comments but as the thread progressed the art gets better and better!!!

”J“ glad to see the ole wetcanvas bunch reassembling here. Your pet sketches are wonderful . How is your Penny?

JmFl- .LOL about comatose iguanas : ). I too didn’t get any sketching in (yet).

Triss - beautiful pieces, I think the bottles of cleaning stuff and the toothbrushes are my favorite. Definitely make nice pieces to hang , little obscure visual treats sprinkled in kitchen and bathroom

Joan lovely work, like the bushes stalwart in the snow. Glad you eye surgery went well. Extra credit for sketching in dr office

Joy really really nice orange. Great job on the rind reflection and the inside white lining fazing into the little rind oil cells and tender green navel plug details...

Vivien....an shades of summer....sweet job with the watermelon

Jo Cas ho great messy sketch! You got it going on!!! Enchanting Bolivian bottle cover. Looks poised the dance around the firepit

ams nice pencil sketch timer, sweet little snowy branch

Jo1- eorye is looks good

Ai- glad you are back from hospital. That is a draining situation

Sue and Robin, thank you.

I did a few minute sketch with pastels on the same old paper.
Number 7 Stack of something - cups

csshfl11stack.jpg

Jo, thanks. I'm sure I could handle that palm sized cookie myself...not to worry!

Ai, wonderful fluffy fern!!! They grow so beautifully there. It must be nice to sit in the shade of the fern and paint. Lovely! nIce digital floral too.

Triss, thanks for your comment. Great color in your sketch! I love the touches of purple all around the piece.

Robin, thank you. Wonderful hatching lines on your hand sketches!! It gives them so much life. I like the lamp with the purple glass shade and that bright light shining out!! Nice job on the toothbrush too.

Sue, thanks. Sketching really helped pass the time while I was waiting for the surgery. They had me come in 1 1/2 hrs before the actual surgery started to do all the prep work, but aside from the drops there wasn't a lot to do. Watching the one station on the TV was too boring. lol A magic pencil has the 4 primary color pigments mixed in the pencil. You get a little bit of each color or you can turn the pencil so that you get one color for a while. Sometimes you can control the color and sometimes it is just out of your hands.
IMG_9523.jpeg

13 - oval - sketch & wash pencil
IMG_9525.jpeg

14 - toothbrush - sketch & wash pencil
IMG_9526.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks you all for kind comments on my sketches and great vibe on my Iris's hospital stay.

Triss, Jo, Joan, Robin: Fabulous vibrant sketches..... very inspiring.

Robin, oh, love your hands. The toothbrush and lamp are excellent. "J" had a purple lamp, wonder if she still uses it. Hmmm.

Joan, thanks for the photos of the pencils. So interesting. I like your simple sketches. Dove soap??

Our youngest son's birthday tomorrow, he will be 46. Ouch!! We celebrated last weekend as he is working in New Orleans tomorrow, photographer. Maybe we will see him later in the week.

thank you all for the nice words. I find all your additions beautiful

Robin, Jo, Joan, Triss, Ai, Vivien, beautiful works, Vien, Watermelon made me think of summer, which is summer with you so, here it is at the end of winter, not watermelon but citrus.
Joa, funny those pencils, some time ago I saw them on a site and I was tempted to take them remembering hunting drawings, but I find it more beautiful to see how you use them.

Sue - It's a Peacock Plant, apparently. I'm rubbish with plants, but that one still has its label attached. & ta for sending the awful weather back down my way! Your class sounds great - hope it's helpful for you, and looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Jo - Love the leaning tower of mugs - wonderful colours and great shapes!

Robin - Terrific sketches! Brilliant hatching on the hands, fab colours for the toothbrush, and love the light from the purple lamp.

Joan - Lovely subtle shading with the bar of soap sketch, and great drawing for the toothbrush.

#1b - Food. Back to the apples (& mug). Acrylics & oil pastels, A2.
food1.jpg

Triss, love this apples and mugs with the purple ground and sketchy look. When I try this style it looks like an under painting and you can't even tell what it is. Yours is so complete without being photo-realistic. I just keep looking. Sigh.....

Triss: Wowwwww.... I think your apples & cups are such fantastic series...

Wonderful work everyone. There are too many for me to comment on each one but I have looked at them and enjoyed them.

Seems like we don't have a host listed for the next hunt. I made up a list for the next hunt and posted it.

Glad everyone liked seeing the magic pencils. I've had them for years and could never quite figure out how to use them or what to do with them. I've only really tried them recently. I know EP uses them a lot and an urban sketching friend of mine used them to shade in a few of his recent sketches and it reminded me to give them a try.

Many thanks to everyone for your comments.

Jeanne, thanks for hosting.

Triss, your apples and mug and so shiny and bright! Super job!!

Last edited:
Number 8, something on bread - pastels on the cheap gridded paper, my butter piles are not very successful, should have made butter pats (square) to read better. Leftover garlic bread.

csshflsomething-on-bread.jpg

Thanks, Jeanne for this list. I got some pastel practice in so maybe I can paint something. Yay.

Joan thanks for the new list. See all y'all on the new list.

Jo, your garlic bread looks yummy. I like Joan's idea of sculpted butter pats.

I finished one more.

#8, Bottom and top

20220206Sk6 (SH11#8).png

Joan: Thanks for your kind thought of making Hunt12 list.

Jeanne: Thanks for hosting this one.

Everyone: Thanks so much for great sketches and inspiration...I m too cannot comment on all. See ya all on the next Hunt.

Jo - Tasty looking garlic bread & butter! Love the green for the plate, and Joan and ams are right that the butter shapes read as the fancy sculpted butter you get (in nicer places than those I go to!). It's been great seeing your pastels this week!

Joan - Thanks for stepping in and posting the new thread.

ams - Pleased you could fit in one more sketch! Love how the graphite texture shows through in your shading.

Back