Scavenger Hunt #11 Jan 29 - Feb 6

"J"

Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts from Life.
The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.

If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:
https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/

Here are the rules for the Hunt:
*All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the list, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
*Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
*Have fun!
*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required.

Scavenger Hunt #10 Jan 29 - Feb 6

slippery
messy
clean
strange
colorful
oval
homemade
wooden
glass
floral
bottom and top
fresh
2 hand poses
purple
bright
toothbrush
medical supply
stack of something
soup ingredients
something on bread
towel
jewelry
food
your elbow
a condiment
fluffy

Challenge: do something with non dominant hand

Jeanne - Thanks for the new list. Having you here really makes it feel like old times.😎

Thanks for this week's list, Jeanne.

#1 - Food. Apple study. Acrylics & oil pastels, A2.

food.jpg

Sorry to have wandered off. Finally did my comments on the previous post and posted one more sketch.

Jeanne, it is great to see a list from you. It has been a while. Thanks!

The northeast was hit by a blizzard today. Lots of snow. I think my area had about 1 1/2 feet. Luckily I don't have to do any shoveling since the development does the plowing and we have the car in the garage. I haven't checked to see if they plowed the parking lot since this morning when I took this photo while standing in the garage.
tempImageg6IY68.png

Since I was forced to stay indoors I had time for some art activities. This was done from my living room window looking out across the patio railing.
1 - wooden railing - watercolors and ink
2 - fluffy snow
IMG_9493.jpeg

Joan, what a storm. Glad you get plowed out. 1 1/2 feet is way too much to shovel! We were in the fringe of the storm so we only got 4 or 5 inches but the wind is drifting it pretty badly. We were plowed out but will have to be plowed out again tomorrow once the wind dies down.

Nice sketch of the snow. It's pretty if you don't think about all of the problems it creates.

Triss, ohhhh, your apples are gorgeous. I absolutely love them.

Joan, you snow sketch is super. I haven't seen snow like that since we lived in Lubbock, TX, in the 80s. Thanks for the photos and happy you are OK.

Hi Joe and Anne. I think Joe is getting some cold down in Florida tonight. We've had cool mornings but no moisture for a few days, maybe next week.

I sketched at my computer in the large Canson regular sketchbook with a Pilot ballpoint pen.
Number 1, messy - this is on my desk and only a small part. Ha.

csshfl11messy.jpg

Last edited:
Jeanne, thank you very much for the new list
Triss, Joan, Jo, you started the hunt with masterpieces.

Joan - Seeing that photo makes me glad we haven't had a snowy winter here! Lovely to paint, but such a nuisance - hope it melts away quickly for you all. Brilliant sketch, and I love the blue outline for the extra brrr factor.

Jo - That desk looks almost as messy as mine! Great sketch - fab way to capture the chaos of too much stuff.

#2 - Stack of something. Espresso pods. Acrylics & oil pastels, A2.

podstack.jpg

Triss - the apples are awesome.Beautifully done! The pods and the mug are too. Going to go make me a mug as soon as I finish commenting. Won’t look that pretty but will be hot

Joan - Your rendition looks just as cold as the photo. I can sympathize a bit as it was 38° when I got up this morning. No snow but cold.

Jo - Yes we are freezing our tuches off! Love your messy. Thinking of doing my desk but might take all day. LOL

Keep sketching
Joe

Triss, my morning coffee is brewing and for a second I thought I was smelling your coffee in the blue mug. You’re becoming a master with the oil pastels.
Joe it is chilly here about th same as you today but we will be colder now because college baseball is starting next week. Drat!

Anne, thanks. The crew from the development was out early this morning. I haven't checked yet to see if they cleared all the snow in the driveway behind our garage. I hope so. Glad you didn't get too much snow.

Jo, thanks so much. Will have to look for a different view to sketch today. Definitely too cold to sketch even from the car if I could get it out. Stay warm. Oooh...I always love sketches of messy things. Looks great and makes my messes seem normal. lol

Joe, heard the poor iguanas have been falling out of the trees due to the cold. Stay warm.

Triss, thanks. Once I get past the beauty of the snow I'd like it gone....but it is much too cold here for any melting to happen in a while. Mmm...that cuppa looks so tempting. Love your rich colors. Went to make coffee this morning and I am almost out of decaf...don't know if there is enough for another cup. I swear I had another bag!

Triss - I gasped when I saw those apples! That is waaaay beyond a sketch, in the best possible way. You should frame this!

I've been AWOL a bit, as I was doing some things for other challenges. Here is a watercolor sketch of oranges in Canson XL sketchbook 140 CP. The top is my first attempt, bottom second attempt. Not thrilled with these.

1EF4B9FB-8815-4F1F-848B-388080835422_1_201_a.jpeg

Triss, wow is right for the apples and coffee. Excellent.
The snow scene is lovely, Joan. Glad I'm not near it, though.
Well, Jo, I'd try to sketch my computer area, but I'd get lost. I'll just say yours is so neat! Neat drawing! :)
Joy, the oranges look delicious. The closest I have to that is a bottle of OJ my daughter bought to make a cake.

Joe, heard the poor iguanas have been falling out of the trees due to the cold. Stay warm.

Triss, thanks. Once I get past the beauty of the snow I'd like it gone....but it is much too cold here for any melting to happen in a while. Mmm...that cuppa looks so tempting. Love your rich colors. Went to make coffee this morning and I am almost out of decaf...don't know if there is enough for another cup. I swear I had another bag!
Ha, Joan, one of the newscasters said not to bother the stiff iguanas as they might be a bit irritated. :)

Out of coffee or decaf is not good. Hope you found some.

Joy, the oranges are wonderful. Looks like you or I could eat them.

Triss, love your shiny cup and stack of pods.

Jo - Yes we are freezing our tuches off! Love your messy. Thinking of doing my desk but might take all day. LOL
I had a good laugh at this one but it is so true. I thought of my art shelf with all my materials but felt it would take too long.

Joy, I like how the second orange came out. Good job on the texture and the segments inside.

Here's my first one for the new hunt.

#1 Wood: parts of the hourglass
#2 Glass: parts of the hourglass
#3 Messy: the sand in the hourglass if it breaks
#4 Fluffy: snow on branch

"J", thanks for hosting.

20220130Sk6 SH11#1-4.png

Joy great job on the oranges. You got the skin on the second one just right. and the color.

Triss love those apples especially the shine. Really like when art looks like I could just reach in and take a bite. I don't like coffee byt it looks a little like hot chocolate and it would taste great right now. I can't seem to get warm lately. Nice blue on the cup.

Joan only had snow here 3 times in my life. I'll pass on more. It's pretty but just not my thing. We crazies don't know how to drive in it.

Jo great job on the messy desk. My "desk" is a large table and probably more messy than yours. But it is part of being an artist.

Ann I love your soft, perfect graphite. Really nice job on getting the hourglass just right.

Great job everyone.

Reactions: ams
There are iguanas dropping from trees? Should we be urgently knitting lizard jumpers?

Joy - Lovely mottled texture effect and beautiful colours on both your orange sketches. I do like the cooler shadow in the second version more.

ams - Wonderful work on the glass with the sand timer - very convincing! And great little sketch of the snowy branch.

#3 - Something on bread. I need to do some shopping - I don't have any bread. So, a mini jam jar (& my usual breakfast of coffee). Acrylics & oil pastels, A2.

ontoast.jpg

The jam jar works for me. Nice work on the metal knife and cup of coffee too.

Back