Scavenger Hunt #11 Jan 29 - Feb 6

Joe, heard the poor iguanas have been falling out of the trees due to the cold. Stay warm.
Yep. They go basically comatose in the cold. They are an invasive species so seems it would be a good time to gather them up.

Jo - OMG IT WAS 38° when I got up this morning. 20 years in southwest Florida we were acclimated. There was a time in New England when that would have been sweater weather but now that is the 60s. Do yo7 have seat warmers for early season baseball?

Joy - Both versions look good enough to eat but think the detail in the second is better.

Anne - Beautiful shading as always. We all seem to have 2 things in common. Messy work areas and collections of art media/tools/paper etc.

Jeanne - waves. Agree on the messy! Part of being an artist!

Triss - Like the change in style. Not as dynamic but more realistic.

OleKobe - waves

Keep sketching
Joe

Anne, your graphite sketches amaze me. Love the hour glass and the bits of snow. Hard to do snow in black and white.

"J", Jeanne, my messy desk was only about 1/4 of the mess. There is barely room in front of the computer for my hands and mouse.

triss, yep, funny on the iguanas. You made me chuckle. I love the mug and jam. Again, your oil pastels amaze me.

Joe, brrr, we are not used to cold anymore. For baseball, we usually just wear long handles and wrap in blankets. I think this year we aren't going if it is under 55, too old to suffer. Joanna and I did sit up there at 40 degrees F in the past.

I sketched for the Weekly Art Event with the prompt bright, and today looking for something to sketch here I see "bright" on this list, so will post the sketch here, too. Number 2, bright - little bear on my light with Micron pens and colored pencil.

csweekly-bright.jpg

Today I sketched in the big regular sketchbook again with a Sharpie pen.
Number 4 two different hand sketches and Number 3 glass, elephant

csshfl11twohands-glass.jpg

hand-elephant.jpg

Joy, both orange sketches are great. I really like the second one that shows the imperfections in the actual rind. Love it!

ntl, thanks. I'm over the snow...aside from seeing it out in a field or the woods it is already annoying. lol Can you tell I'm not a winter person?

Jo, they said if you bring the iguanas inside they revive. Got some coffee at the grocery store this morning. Can't have ANY tomorrow before the surgery...only clear liquids.

Anne, love that you were able to use the hourglass for several items in the hunt.

Jeanne, I could easily do without snow or cold weather. I should have lived in Southern California.

Triss, great little jam jar with your coffee mug! Looks like it is waiting or a slice of bread to come along.

3 - shrubs with snow on the bottom and top - watercolors
IMG_9495.jpeg

4 - 2 hand poses - ink
IMG_9496.jpeg

5 - messy - watercolors and
IMG_9497.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9497.jpeg
    IMG_9497.jpeg
    152 KB · Views: 85
Joe - Your mention of your new drawing course last week made me realise that I hadn't done any non-scribbly studies for ages. Thought I might also turn up some new oil pastel techniques if I tried something different (but nothing exciting to report there!).

Olekobe - Thanks for your kind comments - hope you can join us here for some sketching some time!

Jo - Love the lamp - fab scribbling! Great hand sketches, and love the little glass elephant.

Joan - Another wonderful snowy watercolour - all the texture looks terrific! Really like the ink sketches, it's amazing what a difference the ink colour makes.

#4 - Floral. Daffodils. With my usual moan that I hate doing yellows in oil pastels - I don't get along well with transparent colours. Acrylics & oil pastels, A2.

floral.jpg

Everyone is doing a great ;job.l Keep up the good work.

Joan you wouldn't like it here unless you can handle triple digits for almost a whole month in a row. and threats of shutoffs from the electric company.

Thanks for the list Jeanne, hope to get some sketching in this week

Quick off the mark Triss, great study of apples, loving the shine and shaping you've achieved . Love the stack of pods too, they really pop next to that mug. And another coffee with the wee jam jar, you're working through that stack nicely. Great shine on knife and lid especially As for the daffodils - if that is you not getting on with yellow I really want too see one when you do = absolutely fabulous!

Wonderful snow sketches Joan, it looks very chilly. We very rarely get snow of any depth, our extreme weather is usually wind - it's been non stop 35 - 55 mph for days now. Good hand poses and messy desk - I think we are all probably guilty of having one of them, I blame it on the artistic temperament ;)

Joy, good juicy looking oranges, think I like the second best for the texture

Anne, clever find for those prompts and beautifully executed as always. I do like the fluffy snow, great shading

Cute bear Jo, and good sketches of hand poses, never easy those

Jo, I can so relate to that desk - trouble is I find it hard to work in a mess so spend time tidying up first, I really should tidy up as I finish but never quite get around to it

Phew, that's me caught up, time to tidy the workspace and do something!

1 bottom and top
there were birds on the tree and the floor, I took pencil and paper late and I was only able to get started. I was undecided whether to publish.
today i draw botom and top Eeyore, he is kinder, he waited for me to finish the drawings.

sorry for the photos, they don't see well, the first one is because it was at the beginning and for the grain of this a5 kraft album, eeyore, it is for the color of the pencil, I wanted to try this red pencil that I use little, probably I should use it with black pencils or ink above, actually on the internet I saw that they use them like this, coloring pencils like this

2022-02-01 16-29_pagina_2.jpg
2022-02-01 16-29_pagina_1.jpg

Thank you all so much for your kind words!

Joe - I always enjoy Eeyore!
Triss - Daffodils look like a finished painting. You must work very quickly.
Jo - Hands are notoriously difficult; you have accomplished quite a bit, as usual. You, too, must work quickly.

Hi Everyone......
Thanks for hosting “J”. Are you the J Grant from wetcanvas who does great animal art?

Jo, somehow I missed your bear on the bright lamp. I'll bet he's nice and toasty.

Triss, your diffs are delightful!!! You nailed the colors.

Jeanne, you know that I would have to live along the coast. I like warmth but not extreme heat. lol

Sue, our weather has been very cold..in the teens in the mornings. Somehow we got a bit of sunshine and warmth today which felt good.

Joe 1, your sketches on the Kraft paper aren't showing. You definitely need a darker lead. Luckily Eeyore is showing on the lighter paper. He always makes me smile.

I had my cataract surgery this morning and there is really a noticeable difference already. I could see it as the surgery took place since I was pretty much aware of what was going on while they were doing it. I was able to notice it getting brighter and lighter. I was told that some people notice the improvent in 1-2 days but for some it takes a week or longer. I'm pleased already! Of course I found a little time for sketching between the nurse coming in and putting drops in my eyes every 15 minutes.

6 - clean toasty blankets - ink
7 - medical supplies
8 - two hand sketches (sub for my elbow)

IMG_9501.jpeg

Last edited:
Jo, somehow I missed your bear on the bright lamp. I'll bet he's nice and toasty.

Triss, your diffs are delightful!!! You nailed the colors.

Jeanne, you know that I would have to live along the coast. I like warmth but not extreme heat. lol

Sue, our weather has been very cold..in the teens in the mornings. Somehow we got a bit of sunshine and warmth today which felt good.

Joe 1, your sketches on the Kraft paper aren't showing. You definitely need a darker lead

. Luckily Eeyore is showing on the lighter paper. He always makes me smile.

I had my cataract surgery this morning and there is really a noticeable difference already. I could see it as the surgery took place since I was pretty much aware of what was going on while they were doing it. I was able to notice it getting brighter and lighter. I was told that some people notice the improvent in 1-2 days but for some it takes a week or longer. I'm pleased already! Of course I found a little time for sketching between the nurse coming in and putting drops in my eyes every 15 minutes.

6 - clean toasty blankets - ink
7 - medical supplies
8 - two hand sketches (sub for my elbow)
View attachment 18322

Last edited:
Joan, I really like the snow and your two hand poses. Your mess is so much neater than mine. Ha. Sounds like your surgery went well, we are going to Austin tomorrow to see a doctor for Gene, hope they can do his eye soon. Yay all around. I love your sketch of your surgery area.

Triss, the daffodils are gorgeous, can't tell you don't like the yellow. It makes me smile.

Sue, evidently I can't work in a mess either and that is why I don't get much done. Could be. Shrug.

joe1lt, I always like Eeyore, good job.

Joy, thanks. I do work quickly .. I get bored so don't do an under drawing with pencil. I don't worry if things get wonky. If it is something more than a sketch, I will sometimes draw with a pencil. That is rare.

"J", Jeanne, are you sketching on your iPad? I like it but it takes so much longer.

I started to sketch "colorful" with pastels this morning. I brushed off the paper and went to wash my hands .. no water. Not good to mess with pastels when you can't clean your hands and I didn't have any hand swipes. So I sketched with a Sharpie pen on watercolor paper and used the water brushes. Our water came back on about the time I finished.
Number 5 - colorful, Bolivian knitted bottle cover

csshfl11colorful.jpg

Joan, I really like the snow and your two hand poses. Your mess is so much neater than mine. Ha. Sounds like your surgery went well, we are going to Austin tomorrow to see a doctor for Gene, hope they can do his eye soon. Yay all around. I love your sketch of your surgery area.

Triss, the daffodils are gorgeous, can't tell you don't like the yellow. It makes me smile.

Sue, evidently I can't work in a mess either and that is why I don't get much done. Could be. Shrug.

joe1lt, I always like Eeyore, good job.

Joy, thanks. I do work quickly .. I get bored so don't do an under drawing with pencil. I don't worry if things get wonky. If it is something more than a sketch, I will sometimes draw with a pencil. That is rare.

"J", Jeanne, are you sketching on your iPad? I like it but it takes so much longer.

I started to sketch "colorful" with pastels this morning. I brushed off the paper and went to wash my hands .. no water. Not good to mess with pastels when you can't clean your hands and I didn't have any hand swipes. So I sketched with a Sharpie pen on watercolor paper and used the water brushes. Our water came back on about the time I finished.
Number 5 - colorful, Bolivian knitted bottle cover

View attachment 18325
So far doing nothing on the Ipad but reading Kindle books. I can't even tell if the pencil is charged., It's generation 1. Will have to watch some videos.

Jo, thanks. I hope Gene can get his surgery soon. I have a post-op visit with the doctor today but already I can see much better. What an interesting cover!! Glad you used watercolors or you might have been leaving a pastel trail everywhere.

Jeanne, sketching on the iPad isn't as easy as it sounds. There is a lot of learning involved. Hope the videos help.

Nice depiction of both the timer and the snowy branch. We're to get snow here tonight after freezing rain...
Triss, nice grouping. I hope you got your bread! PBJ= comfort food! :) The daffodils and vase are teriffic!
Jo, your sketches are always believable. Well done. Did you make the bottle cover your self?
Joan, your three are wonderful-I love the first! And the medical area--so neat! Best wishes to Gene.
Joe1lt Eeyore is wonderful! Good work!

Again, I was finally able to do a couple, both watercolor, both part wc pencil and part pan watercolors:
tooth brush and a medical supply:

thumbnail_IMG_6625.jpg

Hello, I have been exhausted from my daughter hospital... though only 1 night and she is back at home doing great now... but that had some after effect on me. .... I see everyone doing fantastic works... esp. Joan for recovering from eye surgery... Triss and Jo for being so vibrant.

Here is my quick ones.
#1 stacked -- done with Pentel Fude touch pen
#2 soup ingredients -- done with Pentel Fude touch pen
#3 Two hand poses -- done with ball point pen
#4 Put on bread -- jam on top of my french bread ... done with brush pen

h11_stacked.jpg

h11_soupIngredients.jpg

h11_twoHandPoses.jpg

h11_jamOnBread.jpg

Ai, I hope our DD continues to improve. Having a sick or injured loved one is stressful. Nice work on your drawings.

Back