NOVEMBER, 2021 ANIMAL & WILDLIFE CHALLENGE

I haven't started mine yet (apart from a very quick sketch and some notes) but I should hopefully have it done by the end of the weekend.

Three is good going! :)

Ok, Kay. I hope you find time to start. I had a head start on other people!

Penny - Haven't begun yet, as I've been away on a break for a few days, but will get onto it very soon.

I started one, got frustrated and started another but I haven't really given up on the first one. I'll post them both on the 20th and give everyone a good laugh!

Oh dear, Anne! I’m sure they’re not as bad as you think. I look forward to seeing them on the 20th. It’s the taking part that matters! 😁

Having trouble with our computer. I normally print my ref pic to work from
Does anyone paint from just viewing it on the cell phone ?

Sorry to hear that, bjcpaints. I sometimes use the iPad but generally print them. Hope it gets sorted.

Reactions: pcj
Having trouble with our computer. I normally print my ref pic to work from
I have worked from my cell phone in the past when my computer wasn't working. I got the large shapes blocked in first and then zoomed in for the detail. Not ideal but it worked.

I've tried it before, but not very successfully. I'll maybe use my phone towards the end of a painting, to check details. I usually work from a printout - I like to partly de-saturate the image (so I'm not distracted by the colour, and to save ink!) and I also like to make notes in the white space around it (and draw on the image sometimes too).

I find it very interesting to hear how others work on their artwork.

In my case, I usually print out the photo ref , in colour and sometimes also
in black and white. My husband recently gave me a photo viewer so I also
load the ref into that [it's screen is about the same size as an ipad].

Then , if I'm doing a charcoal drawing, I sprawl out in glorious luxury on the couch
with my drawing board on my lap and my charcoal supplies in a tray beside me
[ I use black and white charcoal, vine, compressed, pencil and powder, brushes , stumps ,
kneadable eraser etc ]. The photo viewer is on the coffee table.

Occasionally, I'll go and check details on the large screen of my computer.

Of course, this decadent luxury only applies to my charcoal drawings !
If I'm doing sculpture, then I have to go down to the basement where my clay,
stone and wood sculpture work area resides.

I've made a start on this month's challenge :)

Cheers,
Patricia

Actually, when I work digitally, I can display a small version of the reference image on my screen next to my work area. I work large shapes first, then zoom in like I would do on my phone for detail. If I really get stuck on a drawing, I can bring in my image as a tracing image and compare it to my drawing but I prefer not to do that unless it's absolutely necessary. I like the challenge of freehand drawing.

Thank you all so much for your suggestions! I will give it a try now

Last resort I can email it to my husband and he has determined he can print from his phone, as our printer is still working.
LOL Patricia - I love your description of decadent luxury!

Hi everyone. I've completed one picture (really enjoyed it, and tried something new) and am considering doing another.

I also find it very interesting to hear about other people's artwork set-up.

Me, I print off reference pictures in colour (sometimes also in black/white). I am lucky enough to have an art/craft room, so I work in there at a desk, using a table easel with the reference image clipped up in front of me.
I draw freehand if it's simple (or I'm changing a lot), but if something's difficult and tracing paper will work, I don't hesitate to use it. I basically do whatever is quickest and easiest to get the linework down as I don't really enjoy that stage.

I often listen to music or audiobooks while I'm painting, and in the winter months when we do get a bit of precious sunshine, my art/craft room is the warmest, brightest place in the house. :giggle:

Good on you, Penny! I started one, and wasted part of yesterday and today on it. It is a total mess, so I had to abandon it. That is something I rarely do, as usually I can wipe off some and rework it. I don't know whether to "get back on the horse" and try again with this subject, since I have the drawing.

:oops: When I posted earlier, I didn't realize there was another page of posts! I print mine out, and have a value viewer that is basically red cellophane to see values. Of course, the photo program can convert to B & W if I want to view it that way. I have a drafting table and taboret cart in our smallest bedroom, which is where I have my art supplies and books. Our desktop and printer is there, also.

There is so much debate over tracing, but I never do it. I feel if I rely on tracing, I will not improve my drawing skills, which really need improvement. Occasionally, I use the grid method. Lately I have been sketching from life to see shapes better. Some leaves I did lately came out well. So many sources suggest when drawing animals to draw cones, spheres, etc. for the body shapes, then modify them. Despite studying anatomy (whole human body) I find it difficult to "see' a 2D photo in 3D. So I am trying to "break" the habit of drawing about the periphery of the subject and filling the rest in. Admittedly, I wish I were one of the special few with inborn artistic talent. I just came across this article about a teen from Wales, Makenzy Beard.

Yes, her portrait of the farmer is superb. She's very talented.

I try not to use grids or tracing paper unless as a last resort - and it's usually for something I really should be able to draw! I have to use a grid for portraits though or I'm hopeless.

I'm still to start my painting for the challenge, although I do have my paper ready so that's a start? Oh and I also have an image of it in my head and it looks very good there. 😄

There is so much debate over tracing, but I never do it. I feel if I rely on tracing, I will not improve my drawing skills, which really need improvement. Occasionally, I use the grid method. Lately I have been sketching from life to see shapes better. Some leaves I did lately came out well. So many sources suggest when drawing animals to draw cones, spheres, etc. for the body shapes, then modify them. Despite studying anatomy (whole human body) I find it difficult to "see' a 2D photo in 3D. So I am trying to "break" the habit of drawing about the periphery of the subject and filling the rest in. Admittedly, I wish I were one of the special few with inborn artistic talent. I just came across this article about a teen from Wales, Makenzy Beard.
I worked with grids during my learning to draw process. What I did was over time I made the grids larger and larger until finally I work without them. I still get "help" from either a grid or tracing if I am doing a portrait that "counts" and I can't seem to get it right.

I have read many articles about drawing animals with cones and spheres etc. but it never seems to work for me. What I like best is to work from inside out. For example, I frequently start with an eye or a nose and work out from there. Of course, I also have my eraser handy because I usually seem to need it. The only downside to this method is that it doesn't always end up the size I want it to be. That's not a problem when working digitally but it can be a big problem if I'm working on paper.

Back